AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
2006 World Cup Score Board & News Central [Closed]
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tygol51

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: 2006 World Cup Score Board & News Central [Closed] Reply with quote

X: I put this back as a sticky for those who are interested in referencing and insights. Very Happy The discussion is closed.

AV World Cup 2006 Score Board (watch this space for updates)

How Group Matches Count:
P - matches played, W - won, D - drawn, L - lost, F - goals for , A - goals against, GD - goals difference, Pt - points

1W = 3 pts, 1D = 1 pts, 1L = 0. Two teams with the most points advance to next round. If points are equal, higher GD is considered.
If even GD is the same, higher number of goals is being counted.

World Cup News & More:

I thought we should have a thread dedicated to any relevant news regarding the World Cup... from news about players to politics...Post AWAY!!! Here is the first article about soccer and Iranian women.

Iran's Women Soccer Fans Cheer
Associated Press

Tue May 23, 7:06 AM ET

TEHRAN, Iran - Like others who come watch Iran's national soccer team prepare for the World Cup in July, they join in the chants and wave their flags. But these fans are cheering from outside the fence surrounding the field, barred by law from entering because they are women.

On Monday, more than 50 female soccer fans — from girls to mothers with baby strollers — pressed against the wobbling chain-link fence, screaming, whistling, and trying to make sense of their exile.

"We're out here like beggars in our own country trying to support our own nation's team," said 20-year-old Mina Tehrani, who was taking photos of the team with her cell phone. "Are we not Iranians? Are our cheers less important?"

It's just the latest in the ever-shifting — and seemingly arbitrary — messages sent to women by Iran's Islamic establishment.

Women work side by side men in nearly every setting, from state offices to passport control booths to parliament. In recent years, women have made headlines by taking places in police and fire departments. A few women cabbies cruise the streets of Tehran.

But it appears a firm line is drawn around the soccer field.

In April, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad surprised his conservative backers by deciding that women could attend soccer games, but restricted them to a separate section of the stadium. Ahmadinejad — an ardent soccer fan who once donned a jersey and kicked some balls with the national team — said the women's presence would "improve soccer-watching manners and promote a healthy atmosphere."

But Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, didn't agree. He has the final say on all matters in Iran, and his view on this one held: No women in the stands, even in a segregated section.

So Hamid Ghomnam leans against the fence with his two daughters, 10 and 12, and watches the team run through its drills. A security officer tried to hustle away the women — along with their husbands, boyfriends and fathers — claiming even the parking lot side of the fence is off limits. But the crowd stood firm.

Fingers clenched around the rusting fence, which bulged and swayed under their weight.

"I am ashamed to have my daughters out here in the parking lot looking in," said Ghomnam, 49. "But it makes me proud to show them women standing up against this very stupid rule."

A short way down the fence, Sima Babri called a friend to give a full description of the training. A Winnie the Pooh bauble dangled from her cell phone. She wore the springtime uniform of trendy, 20-something women across Tehran: denim jeans rolled high up on a calf, a form-fitting cotton tunic and a colorful headscarf that covered less hair than was blowing free.

"I'm here because I love the team," said Babri, 21. "But I'm also making a personal stand. We cannot just always back down."

Now, however, even Babri's clothes could be in jeopardy. A vaguely worded proposal is working its way through the Iranian parliament that would encourage traditional Iranian and Islamic-style clothing. It has stoked worries that Ahmadinejad's government could be planning to roll back the increasingly liberal dress codes that have been in place since the late 1990s.

Women have been allowed into Tehran's stadium to watch soccer before.

Five years ago, a group of Irish women was permitted to attend a World Cup qualifier between Iran and Ireland. In March, a group of about 40 Iranian women tried to enter the stadium for a World Cup warm-up match with Costa Rica. Authorities at first blocked them and then promised to allow them into to a reserved section. Instead, however, the women were put on a bus and driven around the city until the match ended.

During Monday's training session, two women managed to beat the system. Sabo Tehrani and her daughter arrived hours before security and found a spot inside the stadium compound along a wall near the stands.

Outside the fence, the women chanted: "We will be inside someday."

A few men in the stands answered: "Sisters, don't give up!"
X

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:39 am Post subject: World Cup News Central

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought we should have a thread dedicated to any relevant news regarding the World Cup... from news about players to politics...Post AWAY!!! Here is the first article about soccer and Iranian women.

I thought you already had a thread for World Cup, general enough that anything could go under. Anyway, I was gonna look up and contribute the WC schedules.. Smile

Should somebody, like the thread starter Smile, keep track of and update the scores?
Tygol51

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey X...I'm terrible at organizing. If you want and able to, you can put this thread together with the one that I started with the poll. And, I'm more than happy to keep it updated with noteworthy news and score.
X

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Di` WF could combine two threads, I think. Let's ask her. super grin
X

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And, I'm more than happy to keep it updated with noteworthy news and score.

OK, you said it!! I'll set something up and hold you accountable for updating it Smile Scores basically.
Wildflower

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Combining Threads Reply with quote

X wrote:
Di` WF could combine two threads, I think. Let's ask her. super grin

X, I know how to split threads, but I don't know how to combine them. Embarassed Could you pls do that for us? I gave you the Administrator's password by e-mail. I checked it, and the one I gave you is correct.

Re: having a thread on the World Cup is great and yes, it would be better if we combined the two we already have.

Little bit of World Cup trivia I heard on the French news tonight: the smallest country is Trinidad and Tobago (about 1 million inhabitants) but all very enthusiastic. Actually, 1 million is still better than the newest country in the world, Montenegro, which only has about 700,000 people. But it registered and will play as part of Serbia-and-Montenegro, the team is (obviously) already selected and hard at training. Just like the two Koreas are playing as one country.

On the other thread I posted a link (two links, actually) to the official World Cup site, where you can find the schedule, the composition of the different groups, etc. The first match will be Germany vs. Costa Rica at noon in Munich and Poland vs. Ecuador at 3 p.m. in GelsenKirchen (all times local of course), on Friday, June 9 - all four teams are from Group A.
Pols_R_Us

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: My two cents Reply with quote

The other thread is already quite long, I see no need to combine the two. Let's just post World Cup news and tidbits on this one. It'll get long soon enough once the games start.

Re: the poll, it seems to me last time we voted more on personal preferences and hunches than anything else. Let's wait until the Cup is under way and how it shapes up, then we can make bets on who will emerge top dog, who will come up as the Cinderella team, etc. satisfied content
dzu
Herald

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: On the fringes Reply with quote

Some more trivia for you: Prostitution being legal in Germany, seems all the ladies of the night and their "sponsors" are getting ready for the World Cup. The "sponsors" are even importing "talent" from Eastern Europe and Asia to keep all footballers, er, satisfied. bleh

Some sportsmen and women are protesting vehemently against this "exploitation". luv at sight
Tygol51

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™ Player Statistics Reply with quote

2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™ Player Statistics

Familiar faces

Seven players will play in their fourth FIFA World Cup™: Claudio REYNA (USA), Oliver KAHN (Germany), Mohammed AL DEAYEA and Sami AL JABER (both Saudi Arabia), CAFU and RONALDO (both Brazil). USA goalkeeper Kasey KELLER is the only player to have participated in the 1990 FIFA World Cup™ before missing out on the competition in his native country in 1994. Only CAFU, AL DEAYEA and AL JABER actually played in all three earlier tournaments.

Experience is everything…

The most capped player at the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ is Saudi Arabia goalkeeper Mohammed AL DEAYEA; with 181 appearances for his country to date, AL DEAYEA will be making his fourth appearance at a FIFA World Cup™. He is closely followed by Mexico’s Claudio SUAREZ with 176 caps. This year’s competition features 13 other illustrious FIFA Century Club members (players who have clocked up 100 or more caps).

When it comes to general experience at international level, Japan and Mexico lead the pack with a team average of 45 caps, whilst newcomers Ghana are at the other end of the scale with an average 15 caps.

Having participated in all 17 previous FIFA World Cups™, Brazil are the competition’s undisputed evergreens. In their ranks are the competition’s most experienced players in terms of FIFA World Cup™ matches played: CAFU has lined up in 16 games to date and hot on his heels are his compatriots RONALDO (14 games) and ROBERTO CARLOS (13), closely followed by goalkeepers Fabien BARTHEZ (France) and Mohammed AL DEAYEA (Saudi Arabia) with ten apiece.

But size isn’t…

The competition’s shortest player is Christian LARA of Ecuador at 162 cm. In contrast, three players measure 202 cm: Jan KOLLER (Czech Republic), Zeljko KALAC (Australia) and Nikola ZIGIC (Serbia and Montenegro); notwithstanding their height, only one of these - KALAC - is a goalkeeper, whereas the other two are both forwards. Weighing in at 100kg, Jan KOLLER (Czech Republic) is also the heaviest player at the 2006 FIFA World Cup™. At the opposite end of the scale is Mohammad AL SHLHOUB of (Saudi Arabia) at just 59 kg.

Veterans and novices

England's Theo WALCOTT (16.03.1989) is the youngest player in the competition and will become the youngest ever goalscorer at the FIFA World Cup™ if he finds the back of the net. Tunisia's goalkeeper Ali BOUMNIJEL (13.04.1966) will make it to fifth on the all-time list of oldest players, following in the footsteps of such greats as Roger MILLA (Cameroon), Pat JENNINGS (Northern Ireland), Peter SHILTON (England) and Dino ZOFF (Italy).

The average age of the 736 players taking part in this year’s competition is 27 years and 4 months. In terms of oldest team on average, Czech Republic, France and Trinidad and Tobago share the honours at 29 years and 1 month, while Ghana are the youngest team with an average age of 25 years and 2 months.

The opening match will certainly be cause for celebration, and not just in terms of football: Germany’s Miroslav KLOSE, born on 9 June 1978, will mark his 28th birthday with some style should he participate in the inaugural match.

Goal getters

Of the 736 players selected for this year’s competition a few stand out when it comes to finding the back of the net, most notably Brazil’s RONALDO who has scored an amazing 12 goals to date and is closing in on the current record of 14 goals held by Germany’s Gerd MUELLER. Behind him is a trio of Europeans also known for their goalscoring talents: Germany’s Miroslav KLOSE (five goals), Spain’s RAUL (four) and England’s Michael OWEN (four).

Youth and Olympic football: tomorrow’s stars

Almost a quarter of all players this year (174 of 736, 24%) have appeared at a FIFA World Youth Championship, 67 players have participated in a FIFA U-17 World Championship and 134 have previously played in an Olympic Football Tournament. As Olympic winners in Athens 2004, Argentina have eight gold medallists in their ranks including Roberto AYALA, who – like Hernan CRESPO – also made an appearance in the final of the 1996 Olympic Football Tournament in Atlanta. Paraguay’s team also features four Olympic silver medallists from 2004. USA goalkeeper Kasey KELLER stands out as a seasoned expert with plenty of youth competition experience: he lined up at the FIFA World Youth Championships of 1987 und 1989 and then made it to the senior team for the FIFA World Cup™ in 1990.

Lucky numbers

Shirt numbers are telling – of the 32 qualified teams, five stand out when it comes to players wearing the same shirt number as in 2002: 11 of France’s players will wear the same number, nine players on the USA team, and eight for Italy, Costa Rica and Saudi Arabia. Of the 11 Brazilian players who were FIFA World Cup™ winners in 2002, only four will be wearing the same number: CAFU (no.2), LUCIO (no.3), ROBERTO CARLOS (no.6) and RONALDO (no.9).

Several new players to the FIFA World Cup™ will be taking on the mantle of responsibility in more ways than one, namely by wearing the shirt number of a former great: Lionel MESSI (Argentina) will wear number 19, commonly associated with former Argentina captain Daniel PASSARELLA in 1978, whilst Juan RIQUELME’s (Argentina) number 10 was previously worn by both Mario KEMPES (1978) and Diego MARADONA (1982-1994) among others. Like GARRINCHA (1962) und JAIRZINHO (1970/74) before him, Brazil’s ADRIANO will wear number 7. England wonderboy Wayne ROONEY will no doubt be hoping shirt number 9 is a good omen, as its previous owner was the great Bobby CHARLTON (1966/1970). Philipp LAHM of Germany will follow in the footsteps of Fritz WALTER (1954) in shirt number 16 and Netherlands’ John HEITINGA will pull on shirt number 14, as did Johan CRUYFF in 1974. Two more who have to live up to their forerunners’ reputations are Poland’s Arkadiusz RADOMSKI (no.16, Grzegorz LATO, 1974-82) and Portugal’s MIGUEL (no.13, EUSEBIO, 1966).

Host team development

Germany’s players have developed in more ways than one over the past 30 years: FIFA World Cup™ hosts in 1974 and 2006, Germany’s national squad have, on average, grown 6cm (178cm/184cm) and put on 6kg in weight (73kg/79kg)!

Family affairs

Croatia’s team are keeping it in the family with no less than two sets of brothers and a father/son combination in their ranks. Robert (06.04.1974) and Niko KOVAC (15.10.1971), and Ivan (07.02.1978) and Jerko LEKO (09.04.1980) are all listed on the official roster, whilst father and son duo, Niko and Zlatko KRANJCAR, also feature as player and coach respectively.

Taking things even further are twin brothers Philipp and David DEGEN of Switzerland who were born on 15 February 1983 and play as defender and forward respectively for their national team. They will be one of only five sets of twins to participate in a FIFA World Cup™, joining the VAN DE KERKHOF (Netherlands), HASSAN (Egypt), DE BOER (Netherlands) and ZEWLAKOW (Poland) brothers on the all-time list.

Home sweet home v. foreign shores

Keeping their feet on solid – and familiar – ground are the national teams of Italy and Saudi Arabia; all of their players compete in their native country. On the other hand, all 23 Côte d’Ivoire players make their living abroad, playing in the highly-charged leagues of countries such as England, France and Italy.

The information given above covers all matches played before 23 May 2006.
X

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: US Broadcasting Schedules & Channels Reply with quote

2006 WORLD CUP TV SCHEDULE – ESPN, ESPN2, ABC SPORTS
All times EASTERN  /  Schedule is subject to change
All matches in high definition / ABC Sports broadcasts in italics

Date          Time (ET)   Network                     Match                                        Group   Site                     #-match
Round Robin Phase

Fri 6/09       11:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Germany vs. Costa Rica                 A   Munich                 1
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Poland vs. Ecuador                        A   Gelsenkirchen        2 

Sa 6/10             9 a.m.   ABC/ABC HD             England vs. Paraguay                     B   Frankfurt              3
                  11:30 a.m.   ABC/ABC HD             Trinidad & Tobago vs. Sweden       B   Dortmund             4
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Argentina vs. Ivory Coast                C   Hamburg              5

Su 6/11        8:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Serbia-Monte. vs. Netherlands       C   Leipzig                 6
                  11:30 a.m.   ABC/ABC HD             Mexico vs. Iran                                D   Nuremberg           7
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Angola vs. Portugal                        D   Cologne               8

Mo 6/12        8:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Australia vs. Japan                         F   Kaiserslautern      9
                  11:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      USA vs. Czech Republic                 E   Gelsenkirchen      10
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Italy vs. Ghana                               E   Hanover                11

Tu 6/13         8:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      South Korea vs. Togo                     G   Frankfurt              12
                  11:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      France vs. Switzerland                  G   Stuttgart               13
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Brazil vs. Croatia                            F   Berlin                   14 

We 6/14       8:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Spain vs. Ukraine                           H   Leipzig                 15
                  11:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Tunisia vs. Saudi Arabia                H   Munich                 16
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Germany vs. Poland                       A   Dortmund             17

Th 6/15         8:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Ecuador vs. Costa Rica                   A   Hamburg              18
                  11:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      England vs. Trinidad & Tobago      B   Nuremberg           19
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         Sweden vs. Paraguay                    B   Berlin                   20

Fr 6/16         8:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Argentina vs. Serbia-Monte.           C   Gelsenkirchen      21
                  11:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Netherlands vs. Ivory Coast            C   Stuttgart               22
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         Mexico vs. Angola                          D   Hanover                23

Date            Time (ET)   Network                     Match                                        Group   Site                     #-match

Sa 6/17        8:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Portugal vs. Iran                             D   Frankfurt              24
                  11:30 a.m.   ABC/ABC HD             Czech Republic vs. Ghana              E   Cologne               25
                   2:30 p.m.   ABC/ABC HD             Italy vs. USA                                   E   Kaiserslautern      26

Su 6/18             9 a.m.   ABC/ABC HD             Japan vs. Croatia                             F   Nuremberg           27
                  11:30 a.m.   ABC/ABC HD             Brazil vs. Australia                          F   Munich                 28
                   2:30 p.m.   ABC/ABC HD             France vs. South Korea                   G   Leipzig                 29 

Mo 6/19        8:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Togo vs. Switzerland                     G   Dortmund             30
                  11:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Saudi Arabia vs. Ukraine                H   Hamburg              31
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Spain vs. Tunisia                            H   Stuttgart               32

Tu 6/20         9:55 a.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         Ecuador vs. Germany                     A   Berlin                   33
                   9:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Costa Rica vs. Poland                     A   Hanover                34
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         Sweden vs. England                       B   Cologne               35
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Paraguay vs. Trinidad & Tobago    B   Kaiserslautern      36 

We 6/21       9:55 a.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         Portugal vs. Mexico                        D   Gelsenkirchen      37
                   9:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Iran vs. Angola                               D   Leipzig                 38
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         Netherlands vs. Argentina              C   Frankfurt              39
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN2/ESPN HD       Ivory Coast vs. Serbia-Monte.         C   Munich                 40

Th 6/22         9:55 a.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         Ghana vs. USA                               E   Nuremberg           41
                   9:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Czech Republic vs. Italy                 E   Hamburg              42
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         Japan vs. Brazil                              F   Dortmund             43
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Croatia vs. Australia                       F   Stuttgart               44 

Fr 6/23         9:55 a.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         Saudi Arabia vs. Spain                   H   Kaiserslautern      45
                   9:55 a.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Ukraine vs. Tunisia                         H   Berlin                   46
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         Togo vs. France                             G   Cologne               47
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Switzerland vs. South Korea         G   Hanover                48

Date            Time (ET)   Network                     Match                                     #-match   Site

2nd Stage – Round of 16

Sa 6/24      10:30 a.m.   ABC/ABC HD             1st A vs. 2nd B                                 49   Munich
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         1st C vs. 2nd D                                 50   Leipzig 

Su 6/25      10:30 a.m.   ABC/ABC HD             1st B vs. 2nd A                                 51   Stuttgart
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         1st D vs. 2nd C                                 52   Nuremberg

Mo 6/26      10:55 a.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         1st E vs. 2nd F                                  53   Kaiserslautern
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         1st G vs. 2nd H                                 54   Cologne 

Tu 6/27       10:55 a.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         1st F vs. 2nd E                                  55   Dortmund
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         1st H vs. 2nd G                                 56   Hanover

2nd Stage – Quarterfinals

Fr 6/30       10:55 a.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         Winners - 49 vs. 50                        57   Berlin
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN2/ESPN2 HD      Winners - 53 vs. 54                        58   Hamburg "
Sa 7/01      10:30 a.m.   ABC/ABC HD             Winners - 51 vs. 52                         59   Gelsenkirchen
                   2:55 p.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         Winners - 55 vs. 56                        60   Frankfurt 

Date            Time (ET)   Network                     Match                                     #-match   Site

3rd Stage – Semifinals

Tu 7/04         2:55 p.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         Winners - 57 vs. 58                        61   Dortmund
We 7/05       2:55 p.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         Winners - 59 vs. 60                        62   Munich

Third Place Game

Sa 7/08        2:55 p.m.   ESPN/ESPN HD         Third Place Game                         63   Stuttgart
                                                                     Losers – 61 vs. 62 

World Cup Final on ABC Sports

Su 7/09 1:30 p.m. ABC World Cup Title Game 64 Berlin
Winners - 61 vs. 62
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: