AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Our First Anniversary - A New Beginning
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyDragon
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Our First Anniversary - A New Beginning Reply with quote

Hello dear friends and members! Very Happy

Today we celebrate our first anniversary.balloons We managed to survive a whole year! Let's eat and drink to that! Cake wine

Now's the time to look at the future of our forum. We've been doing ok. We have a good server that (knock on wood) hasn't failed or locked us out accidentally, we have a small community of friends, we have lively discussions, but not enough, in my opinion, of any of that. We don't even have half the number of members that we had on EverythingViet when the decision was made to close EV down after two years of good activity.

So I'd like to take stock and ask your opinions on a couple of things.

First, what are your suggestions to help make the forum livelier and better-attended? In other words, what would you like to see more of? Pictures? Cartoons? Member photos? Should we expand our photo gallery?

Would you like a section with short stories, fiction, tales and legends, essays, to which anyone could contribute?

Would you like more current event news, other than political? Right now our most active and animated forum is the Politix one.
L'Avenue is doing all right too, and I encourage you to participate more to it, come in and post anything of interest or concern to you.

The Entertainment forum is doing well, but could use more contributions also.

Despite some members' best efforts, it seems The Funnies and Food for Thought don't attract many readers. Do you think we should integrate those into L'Avenue and have those topics consolidated? I remember someone once complaining that there were too many places to visit on the site. I'll point out however that those last three forums are open to non-members and were kept as such so as to attract more posts. I don't know how well that worked.

I'm glad to report that I've had nothing to add to The Void in recent months and that the War Zone has been quiet. The animated discussions we've had on Politix or on L'Avenue have all stayed within bounds.

My second question has to do with funding and recruiting.

Recruiting: I'd like to attract more participants to our debates and need your help for that. So if you like AV, pls tell your friends about it and encourage them to join. Also, post more often yourselves, if you can.

Funding: Although we admins can handle the financial aspect (renting the hosting services and domain name from the server) - actually, right now our funding is courtesy of one of our members who wishes to remain anonymous, with a little help from two of the admins - I was thinking it would help build up a sense of community and solidarity if each member gave a token contribution. The suggested amount would be $5.00 (or less or more according to your means and degree of commitment). We accept US dollars or the equivalent in foreign currency from our overseas members. wink

What do you think of the idea, and would you be willing to contribute?

A copy of this post will go out in a collective e-mail. You can respond to it either here, or by answering the e-mail, or both.

All suggestions to better the site and forums are welcome.

I'm looking forward to many more years of fun and chat and debate and laughter. Thank you all for your contributions to date. wave hello goodbye
LadyDragon
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: P.S. Reply with quote

I forgot to specify: Any financial contribution is PURELY VOLUNTARY. We can get through without help. But help would be appreciated. Thank you. Smile
Xuân Phong

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Happy Birthday, AV! Reply with quote

Music Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday, dear AV
Happy Birthday to you! Music

Sorry I don't have time to chat more, chi. MC, but I'll be happy to contribute. The check will be in the mail soon (honestly!) Smile

Keep up the good work! clap
dzu
Herald

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Count me in Reply with quote

Sure, I'll contribute. It's a good idea.

I remember how a group of us chipped in to send a present to Mat Hi Cuoi when she was so sick and just out of hospital. How we can do less to help the forum we all know and love (or love to hate as the case may be)? wink

Happy Anniversary, AV! Cake
Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: More songs, more music Reply with quote

I like music Music and songs of all sorts. Especially cowboy songs of course, but anything musical and poetic in any language will do.

I and a few others posted many in the music and poetry forum but no one else seems to pay much attention. Is there a way to get more music-minded people to join? If people have common tastes, they could get together one-on-one and swap music files.

Saigonnais suggested a "music file bank" a while ago, but X countered with copyright infringement problems and technical difficulties. But if we did it privately, by e-mail, we could set up something. Anyone interested?
Enornymous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: More songs, more music Reply with quote

Cowboy wrote:
I like music Music and songs of all sorts. Especially cowboy songs of course, but anything musical and poetic in any language will do.

Between those cowboys in brokeback mountain and this Cowboy, I don't know who's gayer!

Cowboy, why don't you like steaks, horses, damsels and guns, instead of songs and "anything musical and poetic"? Rolling Eyes (oh man, soooo gay )
XưngPhong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Saigonnais suggested a "music file bank" a while ago, but X countered with copyright infringement problems and technical difficulties. But if we did it privately, by e-mail, we could set up something. Anyone interested?

Cowboy,
Was this back in the days of EverythingViet?

Avenue Viet, if I remember correctly, is under a new owner, so I suppose things could be different this time. I dunno. Laughing Have you asked LadyDragon?
Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: More songs, more music Reply with quote

Enornymous wrote:

Cowboy, why don't you like steaks, horses, damsels and guns, instead of songs and "anything musical and poetic"? Rolling Eyes (oh man, soooo gay )

Gee padner, haven't you ever heard of liking both salt and sugar? Why can't I like steaks, horses, damsels and guns (which I do, but can't get on AV) super grin and music and poetry at the same time? confused

If everyone who liked poetry and music was gay, then Byron, Johnny Cash, Dean Martin, Johnny Hallyday, Willie Nelson, Ricky Nelson, Bob Dylan, Gordon Lightfoot, Bruce Springsteen*, Shakespeare, Robert Burns, Chopin, Beethoven, Nguyễn Du, Nhật Trường, Quang Dũng, Trịnh Công Sơn, Elvis Phương, Elvis Presley et al. would all be gay! Rolling Eyes

* Notice I didn't add Michael Jackson to the list. Twisted Evil
Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Not a question of management Reply with quote

XưngPhong wrote:

Cowboy,
Was this back in the days of EverythingViet?

Avenue Viet, if I remember correctly, is under a new owner, so I suppose things could be different this time. I dunno. Laughing Have you asked LadyDragon?

Yeah, I guess it was under EV. Not sure now.

I think LD likes music and poetry too, as do Pols, Saigonnais and a few others, but if we're the only ones posting lyrics or exchanging music that won't get us very far. We need a broader network.

Like when LD used to post VN tales and legends, it went nowhere, I don't know if many people even read them.

Too bad Saigonnais seems to have left. He had the beginnings of a good idea. I don't know how workable it would be. At one time on VS "Sleepless" sent music files to people through his Yahoo briefcase, I don't know if we could set up something similar here. But the most important thing is to get enough people interested.
Pols_R_Us

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: What about books and book reviews? Reply with quote

On EV chi. MC used to post VN folk stories and book reviews. Maybe we could have more of that, in the Entertainment forum for example?

Way back on VS there was much more discussions on books, from Harry Potter to books by VN authors, to science fiction and other subjects. Seems there aren't many readers on this site, apart from LD/WF, Seed and myself - and maybe Pem when she does come in.

Personally, I read a lot and would welcome reviews and comments on books like we have discussions on newspaper and magazine articles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: