AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Is the Holocaust Fading From Memory?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
murat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Is the Holocaust Fading From Memory? Reply with quote

Our generation will surely be the last to remember the Holocaust and to know the facts, the figures, the crimes. We, the post-war children. Far as I'm concerned, I did everything for my children know and remember this cruel part of our history. Besides, I fulfilled my "memory as duty" by going to Auschwitz in 1989.

Holocaust Is Fading From Memory, Survey Finds
Maggie Astor

The survey, conducted by Schoen Consulting from Feb. 23-27, involved 1,350 American adults interviewed by phone or online, and has a margin of error of plus or minus three percentage points. Millennials were 31 percent of the sample, and the results for that group have a margin of error of plus or minus five percentage points.

The questions were developed by a committee that included officials from the Claims Conference, the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and Yad Vashem, as well as a Holocaust survivor and a polling expert from George Washington University. (In a strange footnote, the head of Schoen Consulting, Doug Schoen, is in the news this week for arranging for President Trump to give a speech during a 2015 event in Ukraine.)

Prisoners at the Buchenwald concentration camp in April 1945. Elie Wiesel, who would write “Night” and receive the Nobel Peace Prize, is seventh from the left in the middle bunk; only 42 percent of survey respondents were familiar with him. United States Army

Worldwide, the estimated number of living Holocaust survivors has fallen to 400,000, according to the Claims Conference, many of them in their 80s and 90s. And Holocaust remembrance advocates and educators, who agree that no book, film or traditional exhibition can compare to the voice of a survivor, dread the day when none are left to tell their stories.

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington collects comment cards from many visitors before they leave, and they underscore that “no educational experience that anyone has coming through here has as much of an impact as hearing from a survivor directly,” said Kristine Donly, interim director of the Levine Institute for Holocaust Education at the museum, who sat on the board that developed the survey.

And so, across the country and around the world, museums and memorials are looking for ways to tell the witnesses’ stories once the witnesses are gone.

At the site of the Monument to Six Million Jewish Martyrs, the Philadelphia Holocaust Remembrance Foundation has been developing an interactive memorial plaza, scheduled to open in October. Visitors will use a new app that will, among other things, feature survivors’ recorded testimonies.

In one part of the plaza, train tracks that carried prisoners to the Treblinka death camp will be embedded in the pavement. When visitors step onto the tracks, the app, using geocaching technology, will pull up videos of Philadelphia residents “who were on those very trains that led to Treblinka,” said Eszter Kutas, the remembrance foundation’s acting director.

And at the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center, near Chicago, visitors can speak with one of seven holograms of survivors — a project also tested at the Museum of Jewish Heritage in New York. Drawing on recorded testimony, the holograms can answer questions in real time.

Visitors to the Illinois museum’s Take a Stand Center first watch a five-minute film in which a survivor introduces him- or herself. In one, Fritzie Fritzshall describes being taken to a ghetto at gunpoint during Passover, and from there to Auschwitz.

“I have so much more to tell you,” she says. “So please ask me questions.”

Then the hologram appears, “so real that our audience typically gasps when they see it,” said Susan L. Abrams, the museum’s chief executive.

“It really was as effective as hearing from a live survivor, and that surprised us,” Ms. Abrams said. “When you sit in this theater and the lights dim, everything else melts away. Our visitors truly believe that they are having this conversation with a survivor. I don’t think even we realized just how powerful it would be.”

Last edited by murat on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
murat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Meet virtual Holocaust Survivors Reply with quote

Meet virtual Holocaust Survivors
Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center
Published on Feb 21, 2018
Illinois Holocaust Museum's new "Survivor Stories Experience" Holographic Theater has received global attention. Visitors are invited to experience the first 3D exhibit of its kind, where pre-recorded Holocaust Survivors can answer any question as if they were in the room.

https://youtu.be/uG4Z5TbMrFs

Anémone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: To remember is a duty Reply with quote

For me, the Holocaust is unique in mankind's history. It is scary that this abomination took place in the XXth century, so close to our own era.
Of course, we had loads of totalitarian regimes during this accursed century, not to mention the atrocious wars that mankind has been waging since the beginning of time, slavery, etc.. But to me nothing can compare with this destruction endeavour, terrifying, planned for, scientific, systematic and broad-band, destruction of a whole people, by another group of civilized people with a tremendous culture!

Nothing went as far in dishumanization, totally contrary to all human values.

How to explain that to children, to the younger generations? As you say, Murat, we, thankfully, didn't live that era, but we were very close.
Vixen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: War, torture, genocide Reply with quote

Let's not forget torture as a weapon of war, still widely used, alas, nowadays. I recently saw a TV report where Syrians, men and women, were raped in prison. Under the colonels' regime in Latin America, this weapon that knows no geographical borders was also used to make (alleged) rebels talk.

That topic was broached in Anonyma

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1213891_woman_in_berlin?

Anonyma - Eine Frau in Berlin (A Woman in Berlin) (2009 ...
www.rottentomatoes.com
The horrors and moral compromises of war set the stage for this harrowing drama from director Max Färberböck, based on a true story. An anonymous female reporter (Nina Hoss) is living in Berlin in the spring of 1945; most of the city has been reduced to rubble by bombing, the German army has been decimated, and most of those left behind are ...

Or in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VyhzruLjtA

An Armenian friend of mine told me about the Armenina genocide and showed me the written memories of her aunt, but I could not find a book on the topic. Do you know of any? I'm also interested in the genocide in Cambodia and Rwanda. There are always common points.
Anémone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Imagining Argentina Reply with quote

Immagini - Imagining Argentina - Trailer
Imagining Argentina
Drama · 2004 · R
Antonio Banderas and Academy Award winner Emma Thompson star in this gripping political thriller from Academy Award-winning director Christopher Hampton

https://youtu.be/1VyhzruLjtA

Vixen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: The Vichy régime's collaboration Reply with quote

Speech by Pétain. It's worth listening to again, in the "memory as a duty" framework.

http://la-loupe.over-blog.net/article-introduction-a-la-collaboration-en-france-1940-1944-55542077.html

"Memory is a duty", well and good. But that duty should not be selective (selective memory is dishonest.)

Having a Jewish paternal grandmother, and maternal grandparents who were in the Résistance, the Holocaust is a topic that I did not eschew when I speak about it to my daughter. She also learned of it in school. When I met the Jewish man who was hidden by my grandparents in their home between 1942 and 1944, my daughter was with me, so she could learn about the topic first-hand.

But I'd prefer it if we didn't limit talks about genocide to the Holocaust. Numerous groups of people have been killed or deported systematically during the XXth century. They too should live in our memories (Armenians, Sudeten Germans, Cambodians, Kosovars, etc.)
Anémone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: The Vichy régime's collaboration Reply with quote

They regularly show that Pétain speech in all the tv programmes on the Occupation (very frequent these past few years). The word "Honour" absolutely doesn't belong here!

The collaboration with the occupying power should not be minimized (The movie "La Rafle", on the round-up of Jews at the Vel d'Hiv brutally reminds us of it) but opposing this indignity, there also were men and woment in the Résistance, ready and willing to die to save their country (like my grandfather who headed a Résistance network) - Others took great risks by hiding Jewish children (like your grandparents, Vixen). That, too, was War.
Wildflower

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Victims of genocide Reply with quote

In the list of genocide victims, nobody remeber Biafra any more. There are no Biafrans left to remind us... Crying or Very sad

Also let's not forget the situation in Myanmar, and the current atrocities against the Rohingya.
Anémone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Victims of genocide Reply with quote

I do not mean to erase the other cases of genocide in the XXth century, but the Holocaust remains exceptional in History because of its dimensions and its industrial and systematic approach (2/3 of European Jews were thus eliminated).

I would also point out that nowadays, anti-Semitic attacks and terrorist attacks in Europe are 100% committed by Muslims. That religion really is a curse for us all.
murat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: What about the US? Reply with quote

I note that there is no mention of the United States. And yet they are responsible for the genocide of the Indians who were America's first inhabitants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: