AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Trump wants a Space Force
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UnMask

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Trump wants a Space Force Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
Annamite_en_Amérique wrote:
Good point in this comment:

Quote:
Terry Whelan
40 minutes ago
There is a United Nations Treaty between all countries to keep space a war free zone.
Trump is a danger to humanity

That is correct. The UN has the Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space, to which I was appointed as a translator (I like translating technical stuff, so I was in on the work of the Outer Space Committee, as well as the work of the UN Inspectors in Iraq) so I can tell you chapter and verse on it. What Trump proposes is illegal. But that never bothered him - whether or not he knows about it or not. I doubt he's up to date on international treaties.

Hey Wildflower, that was a cool job to have! Smile

These are real questions:
1. Are "spy" satellites classified as weapons?
2. Are satellites that use lasers, etc. to zap sites on earth weapons?
3. Are nuclear "pulse" bombs set off to destroy communication satellites weapons of space war.
4. When a violation happens, is there an effective punishment enforced? What is it? Who brings the perps to justice?

Thanks in advance....
Wildflower

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Trump wants a Space Force Reply with quote

UnMask wrote:
Hey Wildflower, that was a cool job to have! Smile

Yes, it was, and I enjoyed it a lot. Got to talk to some of the experts who came to UN Committee meetings, to the staff of the Committee, even got friends with some of them (I have fond memories of someone named Ralph Chipman, who was part of said staff and extremely helpful when we, the translators, got confused by some technical issue). The representatives of French-speaking countries were a great help for getting the right translation for some of the technical terms. Unfortunately, they moved the Outer Space Committee from UNHQ in New York to Vienna a number of years ago (actually, at the time, the French Translation Service Chief in Vienna asked me if I wanted a transfer there too, as they didn't have "specialized" technical translators like me and my little group - but I was happy in NY and had no desire whatsoever to move to Vienna.) But I'm veering off-topic here. Embarassed

Quote:
These are real questions:
1. Are "spy" satellites classified as weapons?
2. Are satellites that use lasers, etc. to zap sites on earth weapons?
3. Are nuclear "pulse" bombs set off to destroy communication satellites weapons of space war.
4. When a violation happens, is there an effective punishment enforced? What is it? Who brings the perps to justice?

Umm... My bad! Instead of boasting "I can tell you chapter and verse on it" Embarassed I should have said "I used to know chapter and verse on it". I did then, but that was practically 20-25 years ago, a lot of things have changed and I haven't kept up with developments. I shall however try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. Caveat: Some of my answers may be wrong because outdated, there may have been agreements signed since the OS Committee moved away from HQ. Space matters are not talked about much in the mainstream press, and I lost touch with my friends on the Committee who moved with it to Vienna.

1. No, as far as I know, spy satellites are not considered "weapons". Just, I guess, like a human spy is not considered a "soldier" and, if caught, is not considered a POW protected under the terms of the Geneva Conventions. In war time, they get shot right off the bat. This reminds me of the book and movie "The Eagle has Landed" (btw, UnMask, do you want that movie? It's a very good one), the group of German soldiers sent to England to kidnap Churchill went wearing their German uniforms under the Polish uniforms that were their camouflage because if they were found out, they didn't want to be shot as spies but treated as enemy soldiers in the field.

2 & 3. I'm not sure.

4. When there is violation, the matter is taken before the Security Council and the General Assembly. There the experts present their case, and it's up to the Council and the Assembly to determine whether there has been violation, the seriousness of the violation, and what, if any, punitive action to take. The Outer Space Committee is a purely technical committee with no political power. Its role is only to study and advise.
GalleonFlame

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: MAKING THE DEATH STAR GREAT AGAIN Reply with quote

America Already Has a ‘Space Force’
The Air Force controls most of America's plans for warfighting in space—but politicians have voiced concerns that the U.S. could be vulnerable to Russian and Chinese attacks.
David Axe

President Donald Trump proposed creating a new branch of the U.S. military specifically for fighting in space. Trump might not have realized it, but he was helping to revive an old controversy.

"Space is a warfighting domain, just like the land, air and sea," Trump told a an audience of military personnel at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in California on March 13. "We may even have a space force—develop another one, space force. We have the Air Force, we'll have the space force."

But America already has a space force. It's called the Air Force. The flying branch has, over a period of decades, gradually assumed control of most of the military's orbital operations. "The Air Force is the main space force," Brian Laslie, an historian and author of The Air Force Way of War, told The Daily Beast. "And this makes perfect sense."

The Air Force's evolution into a de facto air and space force occurred in parallel with the introduction of intercontinental ballistic missiles and higher- and higher-flying bombers and spy planes. For a period in the 1960s, the Air Force combined ICBMs (which travel through space) and bombers (which can climb to 50,000 feet or higher) in the same units, which it called "aerospace wings."

Today the Air Force develops, launches, operates and protects most of the country's roughly 300 military satellites and other spacecraft. In exchange, it has received most of the roughly $11 billion the Defense Department annually has spent on space programs in recent years.

Moreover, almost all top military officials overseeing space operations are Air Force generals. "For a while, the commander of Air Force Space Command, U.S. Space Command and NORAD were all the same Air Force officer," Laslie explained.

Every so often, lawmakers and military leaders push back against this consolidation, and propose to strip the Air Force of some or all of its space units and reorganize them under a new military branch. The tussle over a space force began as early as 1991, the year the U.S. military leveraged GPS, spy satellites and satellite-based communications to soundly defeat Iraqi troops during Operation Desert Storm.

Read more:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/america-already-has-a-space-force?via=newsletter&source=Weekend
ZeroG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Stupid idea but who'll tell Trump? Reply with quote

Republicans Too Spineless To Tell Trump His Space Force Is Stupid
The Ring of Fire
Published on Aug 10, 2018
The Trump administration has made it official – The Space Force is absolutely happening, and they hope to have it somewhat operational by 2020. As Democratic Senator Brian Schatz pointed out, there aren’t any Republicans with enough courage to tell Trump that this is an incredibly stupid idea that will waste billions of dollars (at least) that could better serve this country if directed elsewhere.

https://youtu.be/1HwX6F5P078

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Pence calls for creation of Space Force Reply with quote

Pence calls for creation of Space Force
CNN
Published on Aug 9, 2018
Vice President Mike Pence called for the establishment of a Space Force by 2020, while also announcing immediate steps the Department of Defense would take to reform how the military approaches space.

https://youtu.be/iFOju7kuxMM

Vice President Mike Pence Outlines President Trump Plan For New Space Force By 2020
NBC News
Published on Aug 9, 2018
Vice President Pence announced plans for a new U.S. military branch, the Space Force which would become the first new military branch in 70 years.

https://youtu.be/EJ3rHMwHfMk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: The comics on the Space Force Reply with quote

Trump's Space Force Gets Celebrity Endorsement
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Published on Aug 10, 2018
Vice President Pence made it official calling for the formation of a new and exciting branch of the U.S. military called Space Force. The funny thing is, Space Force isn't even an original idea. We did some research and found out there was a TV show in the 70's called 'Space Force' starring Fred Willard who we discovered is excited to reenlist.

https://youtu.be/3IREMKu6-FM

Trump's Space Force, Auntie Anne's Pumpkin Spice Pretzels

https://youtu.be/cZxRyofGjis

ZeroG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Pence Tries To Make Space Force Sound Less Dumb Reply with quote

Mike Pence Tries To Make Space Force Sound Less Dumb
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
Published on Aug 9, 2018
Vice President Mike Pence successfully gave a serious speech about Space Force while keeping a straight face.

https://youtu.be/7ipwho-kxkI

Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Star Wars? Reply with quote

I saw those recently on Facebook but still laughed seeing them again.

It seems Trump thinks one of our greatest dangers is coming from outer space and he will make another planet pay for it which is stupid as we have found nobody else out there let alone gearing up to fight them....LOL

OR does he think we (the countries on the planet Earth) may have to fight each other in space for domination of the planet?

Either way the whole idea seems dumb and really should be a political joke... super grin
Annamite_en_Amérique

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Mike Pence Explains Space Force Reply with quote

Satire from The Borowitz Report
Pence Calls Space Force Necessary to Protect U.S. from Gay Aliens

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Making a major announcement at the Pentagon on Thursday, Vice-President Mike Pence said that the proposed United States Space Force was necessary to defend the U.S. from gay aliens.

“I stand before you today to say that this country is under attack from outer-space gays,” Pence told the military gathering. “Only Space Force can protect us from their unimaginable evil.”

Pence detailed a nightmare scenario in which “gay aliens by the thousands” land in the U.S. in “seemingly cute spacecraft” and “subvert life in America as we know it.”

“Let’s say, for example, that these gay aliens can assume human form,” he said. “What’s to stop them from infiltrating normal bakeries and baking cakes for gay weddings?”

“I’ll tell you what’s to stop them,” he said, pausing for dramatic effect. “Space Force.”

At the White House, CNN’s Jim Acosta asked the press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, how, exactly, Pence had developed his theory about the existence of gay aliens.

“No one is more qualified to talk about life on other planets than Mike Pence,” Sanders snapped.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/pence-calls-space-force-necessary-to-protect-us-from-gay-aliens

Công Hòa Viêt-Nam Muôn Nam!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Politix All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: