An Online Community
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Daniel Radcliffe: You Can’t Be a Sh*t in Hollywood Anymore

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Movie Buff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Daniel Radcliffe: You Can’t Be a Sh*t in Hollywood Anymore Reply with quote

Daniel Radcliffe on Hollywood’s Bad Actors and the Rise of White Supremacy Under Trump
The acclaimed star of stage and screen discusses his new film, ‘Beast of Burden,’ the #MeToo movement in Hollywood, and the Divided States of America.
BY Marlow Stern

The post-Potter career of Daniel Radcliffe, one of Hollywood’s humblest, has been punctuated by risks that few actors, let alone a global superstar whose films have grossed in the billions, are willing to take.

There was his turn as a young, libidinous Allen Ginsberg in Kill Your Darlings; an accused murderer who grows mythical horns in the aptly named Horns; an FBI agent who goes undercover to infiltrate a white-supremacy group in Imperium; and, last but certainly not least, his turn as a bloated, fart-flying corpse in the surreal drama Swiss Army Man. Though Radcliffe has, it seems, always pursued creativity over commerce since his magical discovery. Who can forget his nude stage turn in Equus, about a boy sexually attracted to a horse, at the height of Potter hysteria?

Radcliffe, now 28, will next be seen in the claustrophobic thriller Beast of Burden, helmed by Swedish filmmaker Jesper Ganslandt (The Ape). In it, he plays Sean Haggerty, a pilot who has only an hour to transport a cache of illegal drugs in a rickety prop plane across the U.S. border into Mexico. When a cartel hitman abducts his wife, played by Grace Gummer, things get even more complicated for our hero, who’s juggling calls from the cartel, the hitman, his wife, and the DEA—all while operating some pretty heavy machinery. With much of the film set in the plane’s cockpit, Radcliffe delivers a nervy, magnetic turn that holds your attention.

The Daily Beast caught up with the charming Radcliffe, who’s called New York City his home for the last decade or so, to discuss his new role and much more.

Did you view Beast of Burden as an acting challenge, in a sense? It’s mostly you trapped in the cockpit of a plane juggling multiple conversations, sort of like an airborne Locke.
Yeah, definitely. We shot it in 16 days, and before we started, Jesper sent me a text like, “Are you good with learning lines?” and I said, “I think so! But now that you’ve sent me this question I’m doubting that I’m good enough for whatever you’re planning!” But it was great. It was the closest thing to doing a play I’d done on film, in a weird way. Because I’m on the phones for so much of the film, and because we had so little time to shoot, we’d do 20 pages [of script] in one go and half-hour-long takes. We’d do that three or four times during the morning, then we’d change the camera position and run another section three or four times in the same way and block-shoot parts of it. All of the stuff in the plane was the first eight days of the shoot and the rest was outside.

Was it tough to act—to keep your composure—in that rattling cockpit for eight days?
[Laughs] It very quickly became my home. I was spending so much time in there and quite kind of came to enjoy it. I took two flying lessons before I did the film so I had a vague sense of how to do things or how to move things, but at the same time it was a limited amount. There was a certain amount of me pressing buttons inside the cockpit so it was like, OK, I’m going to find an internal logic in these eight days to where, when Jesper would tell me to do this, I’d go to push that button. It made sense to me, but I’m just hoping no pilots are watching and going, “What the f*ck is he doing?!”

Oh, I thought it looked pretty convincing. There’s a combat drone trailing you—and really, haunting you—throughout much of the film. Did you view that as a subtle commentary on the horrors of drone warfare?
I don’t know that he’s making any kind of overarching political point with it. It wasn’t like Eye in the Sky. It’s more of a case of, OK, we’ve got this guy in the air, how much shit can we throw at him? It’s a film about going from A to B, and how much awfulness can we put this guy through along the way.

Read more:
Did you see that one?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Beast of Burden: Reviews are not very good... Reply with quote

'Beast of Burden' strands Daniel Radcliffe in an airbound thriller with no landing plan
By Kenneth Turan

Review posted in the Movie Reviews thread.

Music I'm a poor lonesome cowboy
And a long way from home Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: