AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
RIP John Gavin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Couch Potato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: RIP John Gavin Reply with quote

I hadn't even realized he died last month, until I came, quite by chance, across this YouTube video:

John Gavin 1931-2018

John Gavin ( April 8, 1931 – February 9, 2018) was an American film actor who was the United States Ambassador to Mexico from 1981 to 1986 and President of the Screen Actors Guild from 1971 to 1973. He was best known for his performances in the films Imitation of Life (1959), Spartacus (1960), Psycho (1960), and Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967), playing leading roles in a series of films for producer Ross Hunter.

Born Juan Vincent Apablasa in Los Angeles, California, Gavin attended St. John's Military Academy (Los Angeles) and Villanova Prep (Ojai, California), both Catholic schools. He earned a B.A. from Stanford University, where he did senior honors work in Latin American economic history and was a member of Stanford's Naval ROTC unit. He graduated with a degree in economics and Latin American affairs. During the Korean War, Gavin was commissioned in the U.S. Navy serving aboard the USS Princeton offshore Korea where he served as an air intelligence officer from 1951 until the end of the war in 1953. Due to Gavin's fluency in both Spanish and Portuguese, he was assigned as Flag Lieutenant to Admiral Milton E. Miles until he completed his four-year tour of duty in 1955. Following his naval service Gavin offered himself as a technical adviser to family friend, film producer Bryan Foy, who was making a movie about the Princeton. Instead, Foy arranged a screen test with Universal-International. Gavin originally turned down the offer – he had never acted in college – but his father urged him to try it. The test was successful and Gavin signed with the studio. Universal groomed Gavin as a virile, strapping, handsome leading man in the mould of Rock Hudson. They gave him roles in the films Behind the High Wall (1956), Four Girls in Town (1957), and Quantez (also 1957). He was meant to star in The Female Animal (1958) but was too busy on other projects and was replaced by George Nader. Gavin's first big break was being given the lead in A Time to Love and a Time to Die (1958), directed by Douglas Sirk from the novel by Erich Maria Remarque. This drew comparisons with the casting of the similarly-inexperienced Lew Ayres in Universal's film version of All Quiet on the Western Front (1931).

Before A Time to Love and a Time to Die had been released, Gavin had already been cast by Douglas Sirk in another important role – supporting Lana Turner in Imitation of Life (1959). Unlike A Time to Love and a Time to Die, this was a spectacular success at the box office, and Gavin was voted most promising male newcomer for his performance in the film by the Motion Picture Exhibitor. Universal then used him in the epic Spartacus (1960) directed by Stanley Kubrick in a key supporting role as Julius Caesar. He was then cast in the thriller Psycho (1960) for director Alfred Hitchcock.

Both movies were successful critically and commercially. He co-starred against Doris Day in the 1960 thriller Midnight Lace, Sophia Loren in the comedic A Breath of Scandal, Susan Hayward in the melodrama Back Street and with Sandra Dee in Romanoff and Juliet and Tammy Tell Me True. Gavin also appeared periodically on TV during this time in various anthology series; he was directed by a young William Friedkin in an episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour. Gavin left Universal in 1962 to freelance and in September 1964 Gavin signed a new contract with Universal which gave him the option to take work outside the studio. Gavin was signed for the role of James Bond in the 1971 film Diamonds Are Forever after prior Bond George Lazenby left the role, but the head of United Artists wanted the box-office insurance of Sean Connery, and made Connery a highly lucrative offer to return as Bond. Gavin's contract was still honored in full. Gavin had been on the Board of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) in 1965. He served one term as Third Vice-President, and two terms as First Vice-President. He was president from 1971 to 1973. In the late 1970s Gavin concentrated on TV and his growing business interests.

Gavin was appointed U.S. Ambassador to Mexico in June 1981 by President Ronald Reagan and served until June 12, 1986. Gavin had numerous business interests parallel to his acting career.

Gavin passed away on February 9, 2018, in Beverly Hills, California at the age of 86.

https://youtu.be/gAAs-p4raeU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: RIP John Gavin Reply with quote

OMG!! I had no idea!!

Quite by chance, I was watching some of his movies lately, "A Time to Love and a Time to Die", and "Imitation of Life".

I was actually looking for the comedy "Romanoff and Juliet", in which he plays opposite Sandra Dee and Peter Ustinov, but I couldn't find it. I guess it didn't make a splash, which is a pity, it's very funny and very sweet...

Oh this is so sad!! Crying or Very sad
LadyOnTheMoon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: RIP John Gavin Reply with quote

I also remember him in "Psycho" - There was also a film where he starred with Sophia Loren, that was a comedy (I think), but I can't remember the title.

He was very handsome. I had no idea he was Latino in origin, or that he'd been an ambassador before he became an actor...

He was a star, but never made it to Superstar, though, did he? Pity! Sad
Ôm một mối mơ Music
Antep

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: John Gavin Tribute (1931-2018) Reply with quote

John Gavin Tribute (1931-2018)

https://youtu.be/2rr2P5eN8yo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: John Gavin - Top 20 Highest Rated Movies Reply with quote

John Gavin - Top 20 Highest Rated Movies

https://youtu.be/HQjnJ6PHPps

Note: That poster for "A time to love and a time to die" is not descriptive of that movie at all!! It makes a very sad wartime love movie look like a sex-oriented movie. very upset

LadyontheMoon wrote:
There was also a film where he starred with Sophia Loren, that was a comedy (I think), but I can't remember the title.

It's actually the one you listed in the Ten Movies game, "A Breath of Scandal". super grin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: JOHN GAVIN TRIBUTE Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/BtT9zTXNiPo

inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: John Gavin Reply with quote

Well I am ashamed to say I don't remember this rather gorgeous man at all and have never seen half the movies or have gone to sleep in them. I don't remember him from Psycho at all which I am even more embarrassed to admit..That said he was gorgeous so I cannot think for the life of me why I never noticed him at all.. I can only think of my misspent youth and different mindset of those times as an excuse... super grin
Lyanna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: John Gavin Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Well I am ashamed to say I don't remember this rather gorgeous man at all and have never seen half the movies or have gone to sleep in them. I don't remember him from Psycho at all which I am even more embarrassed to admit..That said he was gorgeous so I cannot think for the life of me why I never noticed him at all.. I can only think of my misspent youth and different mindset of those times as an excuse... super grin

I can't believe you don't remember him, even in Psycho!! Didn't you see any of his other movies? A Time to Love and A Time to Die, for example? Or Imitation of Life? In that latter movie, I was as much in love with him as Sandra Dee (the character she played, not in real life) was. I even had a dress made just like one of the dresses Sandra Dee wore in that movie. I also recommend Romanoff and Juliet (with Sandra Dee again). Lovely little comedy. Yes, he was indeed gorgeous. Can't fathom how you could have missed noticing him!!!

ETA - A lot of his movies, unfortunately, seem to have been flops that disappeared without a ripple. I tried to find some of the lesser-known ones (A Breath of Scandal, Quantez, Cutter's Trail), and nobody on line has them. Cutter's Trail is not even among the movies available on Torrentz... And I had the hardest time finding the Romanoff & Juliet DVD...
Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: John Gavin in Western movies Reply with quote

I didn't even know he had made any Western until I saw some of the clips here. I'll have to find Quantez and Cutter's Trail. shameless grin

ETA: Quantez is available on Torrentz, but there's no Cutter's Trail anywhere... Sad
Lyanna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: John Gavin Reply with quote

I really don't know why, handsome as he was, and also talented, John Gavin didn't make it bigger in the movies world. That Inkling has barely heard of him and doesn't even remember seeing him in "Psycho" is rather baffling...

But now with all these "In Memoriam" videos (there are tons more on YouTube than have been posted here), I went on a hunt for his movies. He really seems to have fallen in the cracks of cinema history, I had the hardest time finding his lesser movies ("Psycho" and "A Time to Love & a Time to Die" were easily available) but it had to go dig far and wide to find "A Breath of Scandal" and "Romanoff and Juliet", both good comedies... Even my brother, who usually can find any movie, however obscure, gave up...

I succeeded, however, after several days' search (and in the process discovering a small but very useful site for old movies and tv series that everyone else has forgotten, got the movies I want, plus a miniseries that I haven't been able to find for ages, and am thoroughy enjoying watching them. very happy

Last edited by Lyanna on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: