AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
New ending for "Carmen"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MollyWobbles

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Politically correct ending Reply with quote

What next? They got married and lived happily ever after? Had beautiful children who later campaigned agains bull fighting? (cruelty to animals) Escamillo happily gave up his livelihood to spare the bulls? Rolling Eyes

[Mind you, I do think bull fighting IS cruelty to animals, and am against it.]
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Bullfighting Reply with quote

Mind you now quite a number of bullfights happen where they don't torture or kill the bulls - rather like the animals in a rodeo I suppose. The bulls are treated well between bullfights which are staged by matadors etc but minus any cruelty or death for the bulls....

Oops off topic once again.... super grin
Couch Potato

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bullfighting / Changing ending of a play Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Mind you now quite a number of bullfights happen where they don't torture or kill the bulls - rather like the animals in a rodeo I suppose. The bulls are treated well between bullfights which are staged by matadors etc but minus any cruelty or death for the bulls....

Oops off topic once again.... super grin

I didn't know that, and I'm glad there is that humane "version" of bullfighting. I do think the real bullfights are cruel to the bulls. When you see them bleeding with those banderillas stuck in their flesh... Yikes!

Back to topic: I think it's idiotic to change anything in a classic play, opera, book, whatever. Like they changed the ending of The Scarlet Letter in a movie made relatively recently, the star (I think it was Demi Moore but not sure now) saying that nobody would know anyway because nowadays no one reads books, let alone "classics". Rolling Eyes

For that matter I hate it when they change things in a book in a movie adaptation. Especially adaptation of a big classic like the Iliad - I'm talking of the movie "Troy", which I refused to watch after I was told how much they changed the characters and the ending.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Carmen - Habanera Reply with quote

Back to the real "Carmen" opera. Very Happy

This clip is from the movie starring Julia Migenes-Johnson and Placido Domingo. I think it's one of the best renditions of the Habanera, visually speaking. Especially the dance at the end of the clip.

https://youtu.be/uV9iGv4sKNI

Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Carmen -Bring culture to the people Reply with quote

I came across these quite by chance. Both are clips of opera singers in plain garb (one even pretends being a waitress in a restaurant) singing in an out-of-opera setting, surprising people at a market in Philadelphia and in a restaurant in Grenoble. It's fun to see the initial surprise, then see the people who know the words to the arias join in. Very Happy

"Toreador" Random Act of Culture

https://youtu.be/bymQ0j4LcLY

Carmen à Grenoble - flashmob au restaurant Le 5 - Habanera

https://youtu.be/Upu96iQH_d0

Interestingly, both clips were made in 2011. This is totally coincidental, I wasn't looking for these, let alone for two similar performances on either side of the Atlantic on the same date. Cool
Viet Chick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Did you notice? Reply with quote

Back in 2011 (only 7 years ago) there weren't many smartphones or iPhones around. There are a few, but most people still used "classic" cameras. shameless grin

I loved both clips!!! But the audience in the French restaurant was better. A lot of people knew the lyrics, and the chorus lines. very happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Did you notice? Reply with quote

Viet Chick wrote:
Back in 2011 (only 7 years ago) there weren't many smartphones or iPhones around. There are a few, but most people still used "classic" cameras. shameless grin

I loved both clips!!! But the audience in the French restaurant was better. A lot of people knew the lyrics, and the chorus lines. very happy

Yes I did notice. Very Happy

As to a French audience knowing the lyrics to "Carmen", no wonder there... It's one of the very few operas in French, and the most popular one. very happy
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Languages Reply with quote

Sung in French but set in Seville Spain...lol super grin
Antep

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Languages Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Sung in French but set in Seville Spain...lol super grin

Well, the opera was written in French by a French composer. When he does use a Spanish word like "Señor", he doesn't put it in the plural, "Señores", like the sentence would require. shameless grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: