AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Tough living in the US right now!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Du Khach
Herald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Misunderstanding Reply with quote

UnMask wrote:
DK,
You have felt it necessary to bring up "white-ness" before, using personal insults and comments like "a Perfect Wasp".... That's a racist insult. Would you say "a House N:::::"--- no, you wouldn't. Not in a thousand years, (or longer).

To me "WASP" - White Anglo-Saxon Protestant - is a description, not an insult. You see insults where there are not. To me, you're a WASP like I'm an Asian, a Vietnamese-American to be precise. No insult meant, no insult intended. I used to date WASP girls - young women - who didn't think that appellation was an insult. I had no idea you would take it as such. It has no negative connotation the way "nigger" has.

Quote:
"Only in America" Smile peace

Indeed. peace

While I'm at it, here are the photos of my grandkids. The dark-haired one is named Giovanni, the blond one we named Long-Minh (Light of the Dragon) Very Happy

These were taken last year, Giovanni's first Halloween.

http://www.avenueviet.com/forums/album_page.php?pic_id=1815

http://www.avenueviet.com/forums/album_page.php?pic_id=1816

WF, could you please weave your magic and make the photos appear? Thank you. very happy
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: WASPs Reply with quote

Du Khach wrote:
To me "WASP" - White Anglo-Saxon Protestant - is a description, not an insult. You see insults where there are not. To me, you're a WASP like I'm an Asian, a Vietnamese-American to be precise. No insult meant, no insult intended. I used to date WASP girls - young women - who didn't think that appellation was an insult. I had no idea you would take it as such. It has no negative connotation the way "nigger" has.

Once again I confirm. I used to date a Belgian guy who was proud to call himself a WASP. He said that if he went to the US (this was in the 1960's), he'd blend right in, being White, Anglo-Saxon (his mother was English) and Protestant. I never saw that appellation as an insult, not at all.

Why does mention of your "whiteness" bother you so much, UnMask? Why do you perceive it as an insult? confused

Quote:
WF, could you please weave your magic and make the photos appear? Thank you.

Done! I did for you what I did for UnMask, posted the photos inside your post by editing it. Very Happy

Hmm... This whole conversation belongs more in the Racism thread than here, but I can't move it without causing havoc, especially with the pics, so here it'll stay...
UnMask

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Adorable Children!! Reply with quote

DK,

The kids are adorable... True Blessings ... Hearts
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Racism in the US Reply with quote

Your grandchildren certainly are gorgeous Du Khach....

As for you Unmask I am now thinking it is time you woke up to what it has been like for non whites in the US and indeed many places in the world where the whites show their prejudices towards them and indeed from what I have seen it has become worse under Trump’s regime because he himself is inciting it and even condoning it. Unfortunately even your grandkids might cop some of it one day so think about it.....
UnMask

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Charlottesville Reply with quote

You have a good point if you are referring to Trump's response on the Charlottesville incident. It was perceived as weak...

Here's a middle of the road article on it..

www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article167418892.html
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Racism in the US Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
As for you Unmask I am now thinking it is time you woke up to what it has been like for non whites in the US and indeed many places in the world where the whites show their prejudices towards them....

Our tiptoeing around the term "coloured", saying "non-white" instead reminds me of an essay I once wrote, that I titled "White is a colour too!" - I had forgotten all about it but a friend reminded me of it (we were discussing racism with our French-speaking group) - I wish I remembered what I wrote. My friend says it was a very good piece, but now for the life of me I can't recall the contents of it...

AND this definitely belongs in the Racism thread but can't move the whole discussion over now... So we're off-topic. So be it.
dzu
Herald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: "White is a colour too!" Reply with quote

That's certainly an attention-catching title!

Are you sure you can't find it again among your old papers, Wildflower? When did you write it? Do you still have the computer on which you did?

If you find it, I'd love to read it!

DK, Congrats on your grandkids! Great job by all concerned! ten Very Happy

UnMask wrote:

Ahem... Middle of the road bearing right. wink
UnMask

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Middle of the road Reply with quote

dzu wrote:
UnMask wrote:

Ahem... Middle of the road bearing right. wink

Very Happy It's the middle of the road from where I am! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Politix All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: