AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
The Republican Party in chaos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildflower

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: In chaos, maybe, but still supporting Trump Reply with quote

In the wake of Trump's outrageous statement that he would welcome immigrants from Norway (suitably blond and blue-eyed), he would not look favourably on immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and other "sh*thole" (meaning, mostly, African, but essentially non-White) countries, the Republicans showed very little outrage.

Paul Ryan simply found the statement "unhelpful", and a couple of other top Republicans just "do not recall" having heard Trump say that. It seems understatement and amnesia are rampant in the Republican Party. Rolling Eyes

We're not even going to go into the level of profanity here. Very presidential, isn't it? Pale sigh

The foreign press is having a field day with what was rendered in French as "pays de merde", which in fact is milder than "sh"ithole".
Annamite_en_Amérique

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: In chaos, maybe, but still supporting Trump Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
In the wake of Trump's outrageous statement that he would welcome immigrants from Norway (suitably blond and blue-eyed), he would not look favourably on immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and other "sh*thole" (meaning, mostly, African, but essentially non-White) countries, the Republicans showed very little outrage.

How Does GOP Not Immediately Condemn This Language?
During a White House immigration meeting, President Donald Trump wondered in a vulgar way about a deal including protections for people from Haiti and nations in Africa. His remarks have drawn widespread condemnation. [But the Republicans stayed mostly silent... or "forgot"]

https://youtu.be/My-BcgfkPII

Công Hòa Viêt-Nam Muôn Nam!
Le NewYorkais

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Republican calls Trump 'an embarrassment' Reply with quote

Republican calls Trump 'an embarrassment'
The president has “intentionally divid[ed] the country and the world” during his first year in office, says former Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel.
'Doing great damage' »
Dominique Mosbergen, HuffPost 18 hours ago

President Donald Trump has “intentionally divid[ed] the country and the world” during his first year in office, former Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel told the Lincoln Journal-Star for a story published this weekend.

The president is “doing great damage to our country internationally,” said Hagel, a former two-term Republican senator from Nebraska.

“He’s an embarrassment,” Hagel added, reacting specifically to comments Trump reportedly made last week in a closed-door meeting about Haiti, El Salvador and nations in Africa being “shithole” countries.

Hagel, who served as defense secretary under President Barack Obama, also criticized the way Trump has handled relationships with foreign allies and antagonists alike.

Trump’s decision to pull the U.S. out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement, for instance, did “significant damage” to America’s influence in Asia, Hagel said. Referring to Trump’s taunting tweet about North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s “nuclear button” being smaller than his own, Hagel said Trump was spouting “irresponsible kind of talk.”

Hagel has criticized Trump’s leadership before. Last May, he said Trump didn’t understand governing and needed to “listen and learn” but was “doing just the opposite.”

“I hope he will take a different tack soon, before it’s too late, before he loses the credibility and the confidence to govern,” he told the Omaha World-Herald.

Months later, Hagel, a decorated Vietnam War veteran, said he was “offended” by Trump’s handling of a call to a widow of a soldier killed in Niger and the president’s accusations that Obama had not called the families of fallen soldiers when he was in office.

“I’m offended by the way he’s handled it,” Hagel told USA Today at the time. “You just don’t use the families of the fallen to score political points, especially to take jabs at your predecessor. I’m very unhappy about this.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chuck-hagel-trump-embarrassment_us_5a5cab33e4b04f3c55a47e2c?ncid=edlinkushpmg00000313
Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: 'Why I'm leaving the Republican Party' Reply with quote

Why I'm leaving the Republican Party

I have been a member of the Republican Party my entire adult life. I firmly believe in a federal government that provides for our national security, but has a limited role in the economic and social lives of our communities and households. I highly value individual choice, responsibility and opportunity. I proudly worked on retired Congressman John Porter’s staff and volunteered for former U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk and U.S. Rep. Bob Dold. These are all people I admire and feel represented the very best of the party.

Even though I have disagreed with some of the Republican organization’s positions, for decades I never questioned my affiliation with the party until the ascension of Donald Trump from long-shot primary candidate to president. I won’t get into his lack of vision, or policy du jour positions, or poor character, but Trump was the first Republican nominee I did not vote for in a presidential election.

He has brought disgrace to the most consequential office in the world. Over the past year, current events have turned into a bad comic strip. And after the comments Trump made during a discussion with legislators on immigration policy, referring to “s------- countries,” there is absolutely no way I can belong to the same party as this person.

I never supported Trump, but now I can’t support the party that nominated him. Beyond wealthy white males, it is very clear based on his behavior and comments that Trump has no respect for humanity. What a frightening thought for a person with so much power. One of the most important lessons I was taught by my parents and have passed on to my children was always to be respectful toward yourself and other people. Unfortunately, our nation’s chief executive doesn’t meet this standard.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/letters/ct-gop-trump-immigration-meeting-swear-20180116-story,amp.html

I am so glad to see that some Republicans do have their heads out of the sand!! Very Happy
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: He got sense Reply with quote

It seems this bloke has far more sense than our resident ostriches who still seems to have their heads buried where the sun don’t shine.... super grin
Le NewYorkais

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: GOP Currently On Losing Side Of History Reply with quote

GOP Currently On Losing Side Of History
House Republicans passed a short-term spending bill on Thursday, but prospects are dim in the Senate. And President Donald Trump is saying it will be the Democrats' fault if the government shuts down. Joe Scarborough reacts.

https://youtu.be/bjh67_jIlIM

O

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: CHAOS and INCOMPETENCE Reply with quote

'CHAOS and INCOMPETENCE': GOPer BLASTS Trump and GOP's 'Total Ineptitude'

https://youtu.be/0eM_vCIMD5U

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Politix All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: