AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Truck attack in Sweden/Syria strike/Terrorism
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Truck attack in Sweden/Syria strike/Terrorism Reply with quote

Terrorist attacks by vehicles not bombs the norm now?

It now seems the terrorists are attacking innocent people by running them down with a truck or vehicle of some sort so what can the world do about that now... No guns needed but a knowledge to drive a vehicle of some and the larger the better? We now have to acquire a knowledge to get to these home grown young men and women to disenchant them from the radial suicidal path they are being sucked into.... Otherwise will everybody be regarding trucks etch with suspicion all the time? Less fatalities than shooting and bombs etc but still fatal all the same..Will we next see chemical warfare on others like we have witnessed in Syria so recently and not really acknowledged it publicly? Case in hand here in my own hometown and ashamed to admit now nothing was acknowledged (Possibly because they weren't white French or British)....

http://www.mamamia.com.au/syria-gas-attack-opinion/?utm_campaign=Mamamia&utm_source=SocialFlow&utm_medium=Facebook

Shame World Shame!
Wildflower

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrorist attacks by vehicles not bombs the norm now? Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
It now seems the terrorists are attacking innocent people by running them down with a truck or vehicle of some sort so what can the world do about that now... No guns needed but a knowledge to drive a vehicle of some and the larger the better? We now have to acquire a knowledge to get to these home grown young men and women to disenchant them from the radial suicidal path they are being sucked into.... Otherwise will everybody be regarding trucks etc with suspicion all the time? Less fatalities than shooting and bombs etc but still fatal all the same..Will we next see chemical warfare on others like we have witnessed in Syria so recently and not really acknowledged it publicly? Case in hand here in my own hometown and ashamed to admit now nothing was acknowledged (Possibly because they weren't white French or British)....

http://www.mamamia.com.au/syria-gas-attack-opinion/?utm_campaign=Mamamia&utm_source=SocialFlow&utm_medium=Facebook

Shame World Shame!

I'm afraid I don't quite get your point about those trucks and those young men and women, especially as afterwards you jump onto Syria, where the attack was hardly done by trucks...

Anyway, as to the question of the flag, I'll give my response in the Syria thread.
Du Khach
Herald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Huh, what? Reply with quote

Inkling, your post is so muddled, I can't make head or tail of it. Nor do I see what you want us to do about trucks, about young and not so young fanatics, and about chemical weapons.

Neither the trucks nor the gassing went unreported or "unacknowledged publicly".

Wildflower makes a very good point about the flags in the response she posted in the Syria thread in Politix. Do you really want to fly Assad's flag on your bridge to celebrate his atrocity? It was Assad, not the Russians, who released the sarin gas on those kids, or didn't you realize that?
Du Khach
Herald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Attack by truck in Stockholm Reply with quote

Every news outlet is reporting on the US strike in Syria, and it's only thanks to Murat that I found out that there had been an attack by truck in Stockholm.

I now see why Inkling titled her thread the way she did.

After a long search where all I found was Syria, Syria, Syria, I finally found this article
:

Truck Driven Into a Crowd in Stockholm, Injuring Several

Authorities in Sweden’s capital say a beer truck was driven into a crowd of people on a pedestrian street and into a department store in the center part of the city on Friday. At least two people have been killed and many more have been injured, according to local reports. Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet quoted a witness who described hundreds of people running away from the incident which was close to Ahlens mall. “A vehicle has injured people in Drottningatan,” said police spokeswoman Towe Hagg. Live footage of the scene showed smoke rising from the department store after the crash.

Swedish PM Stefan Löfven told reporters on Friday that at least one suspect has been detained. “Sweden has been attacked, everything points to an act of terrorism,” he said. “We stood inside a shoe store and heard something... and then people started to scream,” Jan Granroth, a witness, told Aftonbladet. “I looked out of the store and saw a big truck.”

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39531108?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central
murat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Sweden in mourning Reply with quote

Four dead, one man arrested

No time or energy to translate - These are condolences from the European Union and from French personalities:

La Suède en deuil

Immédiatement, le roi Carl-Gustav a exprimé ses condoléances à travers un communiqué. L’Union européenne a aussi exprimé son soutien à la Suède. “Une attaque contre un de nos Etats membres est une attaque contre nous tous”, a déclaré le président de la Commission européenne Jean-Claude Juncker. “Une des villes d’Europe les plus animées et les plus pittoresques semble avoir été frappée par ceux qui lui veulent du mal, à elle et à notre mode même de vie.”

En France, François Hollande a “fait part de son effroi et de son indignation”. Le Chef de la diplomatie française ainsi que les candidats à la présidence ont aussi réagi à l’attaque en Suède.

La France solidaire de la Suède face au terrorisme. Mes pensées vont aux victimes et aux blessés.
— Jean-Marc Ayrault (@jeanmarcayrault)

J'exprime toute ma solidarité au peuple suédois, touché à son tour, par un odieux attentat probablement islamiste. MLP
— Marine Le Pen (@MLP_officiel)

Toutes mes pensées et ma solidarité pour le peuple suédois. L'Europe doit être unie face au terrorisme.
— Emmanuel Macron (@EmmanuelMacron)

Stockholm à son tour lâchement frappée. Solidarité avec nos amis suédois. Je ferai du combat contre le terrorisme ma priorité absolue.
— François Fillon (@FrancoisFillon)

Mes pensées vont aux familles des victimes de l'ignoble attaque de Stockholm et au peuple suédois. Partout le terrorisme doit être combattu.
— Benoît Hamon (@benoithamon)
Wildflower

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Truck attack Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
I'm afraid I don't quite get your point about those trucks and those young men and women, especially as afterwards you jump onto Syria, where the attack was hardly done by trucks...

Sorry, when I first read Inkling's (very muddled) post, I wasn't yet aware of the Stockholm truck attack. Here all everyone talks about are the strikes on Syria.

I understand now. But, Inkling, if you're going to fly a flag, it would make more sense to fly the Swedish flag... Though there were "only" 4 dead. (How many dead, anyway, does it take to warrant flag-flying and signs of mourning like the black-out of the Eiffel Tower?) But, at any rate, my point is, it would be a VERY BAD idea to fly the Syrian flag. You weren't thinking straight, were you? Like Angelina says in the other thread, why not hang up Assad's portrait while you're at it? Better to drape the bridge, or other monument, in white, for the innocent victims, maybe with their pictures. But fly the flag of the dictator of their country? A thousand times no!!!
Viet Chick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Flying the Syrian flag Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
Better to drape the bridge, or other monument, in white, for the innocent victims, maybe with their pictures. But fly the flag of the dictator of their country? A thousand times no!!!

Agreement completely. It was a really weird idea. That flag represents Assad and the authorities more than those kids. Do they even know what their flag looks like? Do they care? If you showed them a picture of that bridge, or any other monument, with the Syrian flag, you'd probably get a blank look. But pictures of them they'd react to.

My two cents.
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Flying flags Reply with quote

I said that because some Syrian schoolchildren here in Australia have been asking why their flag hasn't been flown on the bridge because the people who died were Syrian and like Trump Asad isn't really a legitimate President of his country... which why there is a civil war going on there now. We have flown the flags of any Islamic country where terrorism has killed lots of innocent people - that dreadful incident in Pakistan where all those schoolchildren were killed by terrorists etc etc... But we fly the flags of others where there have been less deaths? They may still fly the Swedish flag... I don't know as German who works on the Bridge and is a rigger who are the ones who put up the flags is on holidays and not there....
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Flags and presidents Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
... like Trump Assad isn't really a legitimate President of his country

1. In fact, technically, they were elected according to the Constitution of their respective countries, even if those were not exactly democratic elections. [Electoral college in the US, and in Syria they had to amend their constitution so that Bashar Assad could succeed his father though at the time he was too young (under 30)] - What would make Trump illegitimate as Prez is that Russia interfered and skewed the results of the election. But that hasn't been proved beyond a doubt (though personally I'm convinced of it).

Whatever the case, they are the presidents of their respective countries, whether we like it or not. Therefore:

2. The flags of those countries represent them. Those flags are flown for them wherever they go. I very much doubt the Syrian refugees carry their flags with them when they flee the country, or that those kids' houses were flying the Syrian flag.

Schoolchildren see flags flown for victims and don't see any further than that. You should know better. Anyway, your argument about "legitimacy" is totally beside the point. I agree with those who said that it would have been inappropriate to fly the Syrian flag over your bridges and monuments. Also, the colour of the victims has absolutely nothing to do with it. Nor has the religion of the country. Please stop being fixated on race and religion.

Quote:
We have flown the flags of any Islamic country where terrorism has killed lots of innocent people

But the perpetrators were not the leaders of that same country. Big difference. Really, Inkling, where is your sense of logic, and where did you put your brain this time? You're so quick to berate people who, in your opinion, don't use their brains, but you don't seem to be using yours here. bleh
Du Khach
Herald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Flags and presidents Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
Quote:
We have flown the flags of any Islamic country where terrorism has killed lots of innocent people

But the perpetrators were not the leaders of that same country. Big difference. Really, Inkling, where is your sense of logic, and where did you put your brain this time? You're so quick to berate people who, in your opinion, don't use their brains, but you don't seem to be using yours here. bleh

Hee Hee. Inkling's been so busy berating UnMask that she fell into the same mistake. Not thinking before posting. wink

Inkling, please give us an example of anyone flying the flag of the attacker to show solidarity with the victims. satisfied content

For me, I don't recall anyone flying the Tunisian flag to honor the victims of the Nice truck attack. Nobody is flying the Uzbek flag for the Swedish victims...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: