AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
All in the (Trump) Family - Heredity? Nepotism?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: All in the (Trump) Family - Heredity? Nepotism? Reply with quote

https://www.axios.com/family-matters-the-ivanka-jared-wing-rises-2339609799.html

Axios
Family Matters: The Ivanka/Jared wing rises
Mike Allen
April 2, 2017

Of all the dramas inside the White House, none touches in intensity and
consequence the growing belief that moderate, cosmopolitan, former
Democrats are hijacking the America First boss.

You see this in the daily flow of two kinds of highly orchestrated
stories:

The first are leaks about how Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump and Gary Cohn,
the central players in the centrist cabal, are opposed to controversial
policies championed by the America First gang, led by Steve Bannon. Hence,
all the glowing stories about Jared's calm demeanor and growing influence
and Ivanka'a focus on women issues.

The second are the endless string of anonymous staffers smack-talking the
other side in the media. Cue this morning's Politico story, "Kushner's
privileged status stokes resentment in White House." It can be summed up
with one sentence: "[P]eople ... say Kushner can be a shrewd self
promoter, knowing how to take credit and shirk blame whenever it suits
him."

Sound smart: Trump remains torn, but most believe family bonds bind too
tight to break. It's no coincidence that in the past week alone, these
four things happened:

-Ivanka took official White House role.
-Jared expanded his portfolio to basically include the entire government.
-Reince Priebus' deputy resigned.
-Trump started calling more Democrats.

Maggie Habmerman tweeted yesterday ... "The NY wing vs national wing
matters less as chronic infighting and more as a ... death battle over who
can move the president in a game of inches."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Good news on US foreign policy Reply with quote

Copied from Annamite en Amérique's post in the Funnies:

Jared Kushner Says He Read Up on Middle East During Minutes Waiting for Ski Lift
By Andy Borowitz

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/jared-kushner-says-he-read-up-on-middle-east-during-minutes-waiting-for-ski-lift

BAGHDAD (The Borowitz Report)—Jared Kushner said on Tuesday that he became “incredibly well-informed” on the Middle East by reading up on the region while waiting for the ski lift on a recent trip to Aspen.

“There would be times when you’d have to wait five or even ten minutes for the ski lift, and that’s when I’d take out my phone and read up on the Middle East,” he said. “I really got into it.”

Kushner said that the Middle East was a “truly fascinating region” because of “all the countries that they have there.”

“There is Israel, and Egypt, but there is also Yemen and places like that,” he said. “Sometimes I would start learning about a new country, but then the ski lift would come.”

Kushner said that, during a meeting on Monday in Baghdad, he “wowed” the Iraqi Prime Minister, Haider al-Abadi, with knowledge that he had gleaned about the nation while waiting for the ski lift.

“I told him that Iraq’s main agricultural products include wheat, barley, corn, and rice,” he said. “He seemed really surprised that I would know things like that.”

“Something else that’s interesting about the Middle East is there is a country called Jordan,” he added.

Kushner’s wife, Ivanka Trump, said that her husband’s ability to learn so much about the Middle East while waiting for the ski lift was “nothing short of amazing.”

“Jared is such a quick learner,” Trump said. “He reminds me of Daddy.”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Welcome to Jared Kushner’s World Reply with quote

Excerpt from Amy Davidson's Welcome to Jared Kushner’s World

http://www.newyorker.com/news/amy-davidson/welcome-to-jared-kushners-world

What it comes down to, in other words, is that Kushner’s portfolio is either a sham of one variety or the other—a sop to his ego, a cover for business contacts, a label for things that Trump has no intention of dealing with at all—or the President has put matters critical to national security into his son-in-law’s hands with the expectation that he will act on them. In Iraq, after all, Kushner did meet with Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, and whatever he said will be taken, in some sense, as a message. Similarly, Kushner played an actual role in the plans for Trump’s meeting, later this week, with China’s President, Xi Jinping, whose far-more-experienced team doubtless sees Trump’s inexperience as an opportunity for them. There is no non-dangerous option here, even if the main hazard is to our country’s political self-respect. The reports on Kushner’s dealings often observe that foreign dignitaries take his role seriously precisely because it is, in many less-than-democratic nations, a familiar one: the autocrat’s extended family acting as a substitute for the institutions of state and, in the process, corroding their legitimacy. As Evan Osnos notes, Xi himself rose to power in part because he was an important man’s son. Should the life of Jared be a surprise, just because this is America?
murat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Nepotism Reply with quote

ZeroG wrote:
Jared Kushner Says He Read Up on Middle East During Minutes Waiting for Ski Lift

Ridicule doesn't kill! At any rate, when you read Kushner's statement on the region, we know all we have to on his incompetence! Let him go back to the ski slopes, the Middle-East won't fare any worse without him.

In Russia we had the Romanov family in power and today, in the USA, we have the Trump family! Who'd have thought this possible in the largest democracy...
Wildflower

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Nepotism Reply with quote

murat wrote:
In Russia we had the Romanov family in power and today, in the USA, we have the Trump family! Who'd have thought this possible in the largest democracy...

The Romanovs never put their kids in position of power. On the other hand, Napoléon did put his brothers and sisters on all the European thrones he could find.

In this - I mean in nepotism, and only that, Trump is closer to Napoléon than to the Romanovs.
Bécassine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Good news on US foreign policy Reply with quote

ZeroG wrote:

I hope this article is apocryphal? Confused
ZeroG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Good news on US foreign policy Reply with quote

Bécassine wrote:
ZeroG wrote:

I hope this article is apocryphal? Confused

Bécassine, this is the Borowitz Report!! It's not real news, it's a satire!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Borowitz Report Reply with quote

Well, I didn't know about the Borowitz Report... But I did suspect a hoax because it was a bit too far-out of reality. Cool
Wildflower

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Borowitz Report Reply with quote

Bécassine wrote:
Well, I didn't know about the Borowitz Report... But I did suspect a hoax because it was a bit too far-out of reality. Cool

Don't feel bad, Bécassine, others than you have been caught believing that the Borowitz Report was real news. shameless grin

Borowitz tries to be as close to reality as possible, so he is quite credible. You have to look for the extra "out-of-this-world" detail that couln't possibly be true. Very Happy
Wildflower

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Trump son Eric calls nepotism 'factor of life' Reply with quote

Trump son Eric calls nepotism 'factor of life'
[AFP]

New York (AFP) - Brother-in-law Jared Kushner is a White House adviser, so is his sister Ivanka and he helps run the family business: Eric Trump believes nepotism is a "factor of life."

The second son of the US president made the candid remarks in an interview with Forbes, published Tuesday as Kushner was participating in talks in Iraq, visiting the key ally even before US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.

"Nepotism is kind of a factor of life," 33-year-old Eric Trump was quoted as saying by Forbes from Trump Tower in New York, where he and his older brother, Donald Trump Jr., have been running the family company with their father in the White House.

"We might be here because of nepotism, but we're not still here because of nepotism. You know, if we didn't do a good job, if we weren't competent, believe me, we wouldn't be in this spot," he added.

Forbes said the interview was conducted in February -- before the White House announced last week that President Donald Trump's 35-year-old daughter Ivanka Trump is a federal employee and unpaid adviser to her father.

Trump has come under a furious backlash from political opponents and ethics experts for concentrating power in the hands of relatives and for refusing to divest fully from his multibillion-dollar international conglomerate The Trump Organization.

Kushner, 36, is one of the president's most trusted aides with a wide-ranging brief covering domestic and foreign policy. He is currently visiting Iraq with General Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Like his father-in-law he has no previous experience in government but has swapped New York real estate and magazine publishing businesses for a stratospheric rise into one of the most powerful players in Washington.

His position has come under greater scrutiny since documents disclosed that he and his wife Ivanka have held onto investments worth up to $740 million, inflaming fears about possible conflicts of interest.

Trump in January handed control of The Trump Organization to his adult sons, but flouted recommendations that he sell off all his assets in a blind trust to avoid any possible suspicion of corruption.

Eric Trump told Forbes that his father would not have entrusted him and his 39-year-old brother unless they were up to the job.

"Certainly eight years ago, he couldn't have. I think we probably would have been too big of question marks for him," he told the magazine.

"I think hopefully we earned our stripes."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-son-eric-calls-nepotism-factor-life-220027967.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Politix All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: