AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
RIP Richard Hatch from Battlestar Galactica

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: RIP Richard Hatch from Battlestar Galactica Reply with quote

http://screenrant.com/richard-hatch-death-obituary/

Although I never remember watching this show 71 is too young to die in this day and age so I really hope a cure for all cancers can be found as we are losing too many people to this disease...
Gaius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Richard Hatch Reply with quote

He was a great Apollo in the original series, and a better "villain" (sort of) in the remake.

Great guy.

Aw gosh, I'm starting to post like Trump tweets. Eek
Annamite_en_Amérique

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: RIP Richard Hatch Reply with quote

Appreciating Richard Hatch and the Underrated BATTLESTAR GALACTICA ’78 Movie

Mention Battlestar Galactica and the common sentiment tends to be that the rebooted series was cool (except the ending), and the original was campy cheese. Not all of this thinking necessarily comes from the material itself; George Lucas and 20th Century Fox sued Universal over Battlestar Galactica‘s similarities to Star Wars, and star Richard Hatch, who passed away yesterday at the age of 71, spent so many years on the convention circuit pitching a reboot that it sometimes came off as desperate…though it worked in the end by ultimately getting him a new role on the remake.

And yes, the original TV series had its cheesy moments even before the 1980 “comeback” season that’s extremely difficult to defend. But that’s partly because it was never meant to be a regular series–the initial plan was for three TV movies. When the network and producer Glen A. Larson made it a weekly, the writers had to adapt quickly and on a lower budget, not always with the best results. But that original three-hour episode was eventually edited into a two-hour-long movie to help recoup some of the costs of the $7 million dollar pilot. And it is a legitimately great piece of sci-fi.

Is it derivative? Sure. Just as Star Wars borrowed heavily from Flash Gordon, Silent Running, The Hidden Fortress, and everything else George Lucas liked, Galactica has elements of Star Wars, Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, the Book of Mormon (the sacred book, not the yet-to-be-made musical), and a heavy dose of Cold War politics. If it is a Star Wars rip-off, it is maybe the best one… and I will argue that its classic theme music is almost as good.

Read more: http://nerdist.com/appreciating-richard-hatch-and-the-underrated-battlestar-galactica-78-movie/

Công Hòa Viêt-Nam Muôn Nam!
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Richard Hatch from Battlestar Galactica Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
http://screenrant.com/richard-hatch-death-obituary/

Although I never remember watching this show 71 is too young to die in this day and age so I really hope a cure for all cancers can be found as we are losing too many people to this disease...

Indeed, 71 is too young to die nowadays...

There were actually two Battlestar Galactica series, I watched both. Like it says in the article posted above by A_en_A, the first one, in the 70's, was campy and totally unrealistic. It was the time when the actors or actresses would emerge from a fight or a dangerous situation without a hair out of place. It was fun because it was campy.

The second series was a lot more serious and realistic, raising very real questions about war, discrimination, dirty politics. It was actually "nevermore" who put us on to it, by posting the link to a UN panel discussing the issues raised in the series - the first time ever the UN discussed a science fiction show, a space opera at that.

The second series kept the names of the characters, but two of the men became women.

Richard Hatch, who played one of the main characters (Apollo), was by then too old for the role, but he did take on that of the rebel Tom Zarek - a much more interesting character IMO. He was very good as Zarek.

I loved the second series - not as much as that other "serious" space opera Babylon 5, but well enough that I watched it several times.

Come to think of it, maybe I'll watch it again now. Very Happy
IAmNoHero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Battlestar Galactica Reply with quote

The 1970's series was mindless escapism. A lot of fun, but easily forgettable. The later series was much more serious, sometimes made you uncomfortable, definitely made you think.

Richard Hatch was good in both. He was the right age, with the right look, to play Apollo in the 1970's, and had matured enough to be credible as the ruthless Zarek.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: