AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Racism in America
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annamite_en_Amérique

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Racism in America Reply with quote

Black-White Wage Gap Worst in Nearly 40 Years

The wage gap between black and white Americans today is worse than it was in 1979, a new report by the Economic Policy Institute claims. According to the think tank, black men earned an hourly wage that was 22 percent lower than their white counterparts in 1979. In 2015, they earned an average hourly wage that was 31 percent lower. Black women had a wage gap that dropped to 19 percent lower in 2015, down from 6 percent lower in that earlier time period. Valerie Wilson, one of the report’s authors, said: “The finding that stands out the most, our major result, is that the racial wage gaps were larger in 2015 than they were in 1979. That’s huge because the impression people have, in general, is we know there’s still racism in this country, but we think or at least believe that it’s getting better.”The wage gap between black and white Americans today is worse than it was in 1979, a new report by the Economic Policy Institute claims. According to the think tank, black men earned an hourly wage that was 22 percent lower than their white counterparts in 1979. In 2015, they earned an average hourly wage that was 31 percent lower. Black women had a wage gap that dropped to 19 percent lower in 2015, down from 6 percent lower in that earlier time period. Valerie Wilson, one of the report’s authors, said: “The finding that stands out the most, our major result, is that the racial wage gaps were larger in 2015 than they were in 1979. That’s huge because the impression people have, in general, is we know there’s still racism in this country, but we think or at least believe that it’s getting better.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/20/wage-gap-black-white-americans

ETA: I changed the title of this thread because of the latest posts about racism in France and the UK.

Công Hòa Viêt-Nam Muôn Nam!

Last edited by Annamite_en_Amérique on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
UnMask

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Barack Obama President ..... Reply with quote

This collapse is still here after a Democrat president? How did that happen? Question
Pols_R_Us

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: "Racism never existed before Obama became president'' Reply with quote

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/09/22/trump-oh-county-chair-resigns-after-racist-comments.html?via=desktop&source=copyurl

Trump OH County Chair Resigns After Racist Comments

Kathy Miller, a county chairwoman for Donald Trump’s presidential campaign in Ohio, resigned on Thursday after comments she made about African-Americans that were widely considered to be racist. She was replaced with an African-American woman, Tracy Winbush. In an interview with The Guardian, Miller suggested that racism never existed before Barack Obama became president, and that the Black Lives Matter movement is a “stupid waste of time.” In a statement, Miller apologized for her “inappropriate” comments and said was not speaking on behalf of the Trump campaign. Miller also said in her original comments that a low African-American voter turnout could be attributed to “the way they’re raised.”

https://twitter.com/JaxAlemany/status/778988688449544192
inkpot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "Racism never existed before Obama became president Reply with quote

Pols_R_Us wrote:
Miller suggested that racism never existed before Barack Obama became president

Erm... Huh?? How does she figure that out???? wonder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Racism never existed before Obama became president Reply with quote

Pols_R_Us wrote:
Miller also said in her original comments that a low African-American voter turnout could be attributed to “the way they’re raised."

That would go for poor white trash too. Or lower middle class whites. They're not interested in politics at all. I remember after some legislative election or other, discussing the results with a neighbour I ran into at the hairdresser's. The guy doing my neighbour's hair didn't even know there had been an important vote, where one of the parties had lost majority in Congress...

I have a lot of Blacks around me here, starting with my handyman and his family, my cleaning lady, etc... I strongly encourage them to go vote, and they will.

Funny anecdote. On Election Day last year, my handyman asked me who to vote for. I had no idea (I don't really follow local politics), so I told him "Ask UnMask who he votes for and vote for the other guy or gal." He found that very funny.
dzu
Herald

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "Racism never existed before Obama became president Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
Pols_R_Us wrote:
Miller also said in her original comments that a low African-American voter turnout could be attributed to “the way they’re raised."

That would go for poor white trash too. Or lower middle class whites. They're not interested in politics at all.

Just have a look at the "Jay Walk" videos posted on L'Avenue. The people Jay Leno interviewed couldn't name the current Vice-President, or where Congress met, or when elections were held...
Annamite_en_Amérique

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Rep: Whites More Successful Than Blacks Reply with quote

Rep: Whites More Successful Than Blacks

Republican Congressman Robert Pittenger of North Carolina said protesters in Charlotte who are responding to a fatal police shooting “hate white people.” During an appearance on the BBC, Pittenger said: “The grievance in their mind is the animus, the anger,” he said. “They hate white people, because white people are successful and they’re not.” He later apologized on Twitter, claiming that he “was quoting statements made by angry protesters last night on national TV. Not my intent.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/09/22/gop-congressman-north-carolina-protesters-hate-white-people/

Công Hòa Viêt-Nam Muôn Nam!
dzu
Herald

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Black Cops Can Be Biased Too! Reply with quote

Keith Lamont Scott Shooting Shows Black Cops Can Be Biased Too
The prejudices that have shaped the policy and practices for policing non-white communities run deep in America—and black cops have been complicit too.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/24/keith-lamont-scott-shooting-shows-black-cops-can-be-biased-too.html?via=newsletter&source=WeekendDigest
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Cops Can Be Biased Too! Reply with quote

Yes I guess they can. I saw one on TV yesterday, saying that out of uniform, he felt he was back "being a black guy" who's wary of cops... Sad
Angelina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: A Black Woman A Doctor? Impossible!! Reply with quote

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/it-happened-again-another-delta-flight-crew-cant-believe-a-black-woman-is-actually-a-doctor-205952003.html

It Happened Again. Another Flight Crew Can’t Believe a Black Woman Is Actually a Doctor
Gordon K. Hurd

Ashley Denmark, MD, who hails from South Carolina, was on a flight from Seattle to Hawaii. The trip, to attend a good friend’s wedding, was intended as a bit of a rest and relaxation period for the busy doctor, wife, and mother of two. As soon as she heard there was a traveler in need of medical assistance, though, Denmark got up and made her presence known. That’s when everything went awry. Denmark shared her story on her website:

“As I settled in to watch a movie and read a book, about 1 hour into our flight over the intercom, a flight attendant requested a doctor or nurse to report to front of cabin to assist a passenger. When duty calls it calls – even if you are 30,000 feet in air…”

And she continued on social media :

“The flight attendant didn’t believe I was a doctor and told me to have a seat while 2 nurses provided medical care to the passenger.”

It was merely a few days ago when Tamika Cross, MD, another young, black physician described a very similar situation happening on a different Delta flight. In Cross’s situation, the passenger was unresponsive, a seemingly life-threatening situation in which every second counted.

What exactly is it that inspires seemingly normal people to prevent qualified individuals from offering their professional assistance? In life-or-death situations, do we really have time to be prejudiced?

A report by the Washington Post, points to the phenomenon of “implicit bias” as the culprit. “Overt bias certainly exists, but there is also a growing body of scientific literature that’s revealing an even more uncomfortable truth,” according to the article. “Deep-seated unconscious biases help steer our thinking and behavior — even when we don’t realize it.”

One can only hope that by sharing their stories, women like Cross and Denmark can begin to receive the respect that others — particularly older, white men — enjoy without needing to jump through hoops to prove themselves.

Denmark reiterated this hope, telling Yahoo Beauty:

“I share my story to bring awareness that the face of medicine is changing — doctors can be young, female, or come from different ethnic backgrounds. My hope is that Delta takes into account my unfortunate experience and prevents a similar occurrence from happening again. Despite this experience, I have remained focused and will continue to do so, striving to be the best physician, mother, and wife I can be.”

And to those last words, we’re happy to give her more than the benefit of the doubt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Politix All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: