AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Muslim Women dresses through the ages
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angela

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Muslim Women dresses through the ages Reply with quote

Women's clothing in different countries, traditional versus contemporary

Where have all these beautiful dresses gone?

This is a traditional Pakistani dress

No this!

These are traditional Banglashi dresses:

Not these!

These are traditional dresses in Afghanistan

Not these!

More to come...
Angela

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Muslim Women dresses through the ages Reply with quote

Traditional dress, India - This:

Not this:

These are traditional costumes from Iran

Not these!

This is a typical woman's dress in Indonesia:

Not this!

This is typical Iraqi outfit:

Not this!

Last edited by Angela on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Angela

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Muslim Women dresses through the ages Reply with quote

This is a Syrian woman's outfit

Not this!

Traditional outfit of a Moroccan woman:

Not this!

Traditional outfit in Tunisia

Not this!

On one side, we have colourful examples of cultural diversity, on the other we have the misogynic islamic view.

What can those beautiful women change? NOTHING!!!
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Highly exaggerated posts Angela! Reply with quote

Highly exaggerated post Angela as they aren't worn everywhere in those countries. I have had friends that have just returned from many of these places and the pictures they took showed nobody wearing that stuff. Indeed in India which is mostly Hindu etc they still wear the saris and the same goes for Indonesia etc. If you look at photos taken from most of these places you will find similar dress worn by women or even western dress. A lot of Muslims wear different headgear these days and only in extreem terrorist controlled areas will you find the complete covering worn by the majorities. Even Iran has relaxed it's dress laws according to travellers who have been there in the past year or so. You must also remember that many of those dresses were worn for special occasions and not for everyday wear as they would get ruined doing housework cooking etc etc. Even the men wear different clothes for everyday and have special clothes for special occasions... Just like we do....
Doan_Du
Herald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Having a feud with Angela, Inkling? Reply with quote

As an outside observer here, and a man, I can't help noticing Inkling doesn't miss any opportunity to go against Angela (This is the second time in 2 days, and the Nth time in the past few months.)

In this particular case, Inkling (deliberately or not) misunderstands what to me is Angela's intent: to show how pretty traditional garb for Muslim women can be. She never says anywhere that it's everyday dress. What she says is "traditional" or "typical". Not "common" or "working garb" or "everyday". With the jewelry and all, it's obviously for festive occasions. Which nowadays Muslim women can't wear even at celebrations like weddings or the like. Which is a pity because they're really beautiful and I for one enjoyed them a lot more than I enjoy looking at women in burqa or niqab or whatever you call them.

Inkling, if you could be a bit less antagonistic and patronizing/lecturing/know-it-all better than anyone else, especially our conservative members, to people who disagree with you? I would count it a favor to us all. Smile

Angela, thank you for posting those photos! ten
TT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Muslim women's outifts Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Highly exaggerated post Angela as they aren't worn everywhere in those countries. I have had friends that have just returned from many of these places and the pictures they took showed nobody wearing that stuff.

Of course they didn't. Your friends weren't invited to weddings or other celebrations where women would wear these outfits. Or were they? If they were, what were the women wearing?

Do you need a dictionary to look up the word "traditional"? As opposed to "everyday wear" or "working outfits"? Rolling Eyes

I'm with Angela and Doan_Du on this. You're way off base, Inkling.

Angela, those pictures are beautiful. Thanks for reminding us that once Muslim women weren't all shrouded up in all-covering black (or if they're lucky) blue garments. Even Mohamed's wives are depicted without burqas.

This is Aisha, Mohamed's favourite wife. Headdress is similar to one of the pictures above.

The Jewel of Medina

This one is too large to post here: https://yt3.ggpht.com/7m_ERd_hK2or_dVGcMfpMNdBgAYRPg58r3zEzJD19F-TG4WtVmlOULsF8yt---cmV6BdMWnYP0SWDNY3YA4=s900-nd-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no

This can hardly be called a burqa, can it? wink
TT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Wearing the burqa Reply with quote

Quote:
If you look at photos taken from most of these places you will find similar dress worn by women or even western dress. A lot of Muslims wear different headgear these days and only in extreem terrorist controlled areas will you find the complete covering worn by the majorities.

I beg to differ. In France - which you will admit is not a "extreme (or "extreem" as you spell it, LOL) terrorist controlled area", didn't you see the pictures taken in front of the social security benefits paying offices?

Or these:

Angela

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Queue at the Social Assistance in Rosny, France Reply with quote

Thank you, Doan_Du and TT! Very Happy

As to you, Inkling, and your statement that "only in extreem [sic] terrorist controlled areas will you find the complete covering worn by the majorities". You should maybe open your eyes. Take your head out of your Australian sand.

This photo was taken in front of the Social Assistance office in Rosny-sous-Bois, in the suburbs of Paris. I posted it some six or seven weeks ago. Those women are queuing to get their social benefits paid by the French Social Security.

http://www.avenueviet.com/forums/album_page.php?pic_id=1604
Internaute

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Wearing the burqa Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
only in extreem terrorist controlled areas will you find the complete covering

What planet do you live on, Inkling? Is Australia so isolated from the rest of the world, and don't you even look at the pictures posted here on AV? Rolling Eyes
Annamite_en_Amérique

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Burqas in Paris and London Reply with quote

Thank you, Inkling and others. I had not realized that the center of Paris (and London) were now "extreme terrorist controlled areas". Eek

But I had a look and found these pictures:

London, too, in fact!!

You're so right Inkling. Only in terrorist-controlled areas do we see burqas. Including Paris and London, those well-known terorist nests. Donald Trump would be proud of you, pointing that out to us. Now he can ban all French and British people from entering the US. Thanks to your pointing that obvious fact out. Who'd have thunk, Inkling7 and Donald Trump agreeing on something? super grin

Công Hòa Viêt-Nam Muôn Nam!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: