AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
The Cheysuli Chronicles by Jennifer Roberson
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cheysuli Chronicles, by Jennifer Roberson Reply with quote

Lizzie wrote:
Say, shouldn't this books series have its own thread? There's at least a dozen posts about it in here.

Indeed it should. Fearless Leader has heard the call. wink

I really don't like the Cheysuli, they're so arrogant - Being "children of the gods" and all... They are all, almost to a man and woman, supremely annoying. The only Mujhar (king of Homana) who's likeable is Carillon, the one who is not a Cheysuli by birth. Sure they have special powers - but so do the dragonriders of Pern and the Heralds and the Hawkbrothers of Valdemar, and these are not at all arrogant - except maybe Elspeth because she's the Crown Princess, but she comes back off her high horse quickly enough.

I agree about the bond between Cheysuli warrior and lir animal is not as well-depicted as the one between dragonrider and dragon in the Pern series, or between Herald and Companion, and between Hawkbrother and bondbird, in the Valdemar series. Ms. Roberson doesn't make us care for them, the way we care for the dragons and the Companions.

There are also big plot holes. Like when Blais' lir is killed inside of Homana-Mujhar, which is supposed to be protected against Ilhini sorcery. You never find out who killed her, or how, and strangely enough evreyone from the Mujhar down accepts the murder without so much as an investigation.

I must say, though, that the way Roberson makes it so "the lion lies with the witch" is very clever - though far-fetched (too many coincidences... Kelllin is stripped of anything that could mark him as a Cheysuli, then he just happens to come across the "witch" 's fiancé at just the right time, then the whole series of events that makes him end up, minus his memory, at the witch's father's fortress and be mistaken for said fiancé...) - Clever but implausible. Ah well, it's science fiction after all... shameless grin

It's a good read, but not one I come back to, like I reread the Valdemar and Pern books regularly. Not to mention The Lord of the Rings, but that's another dimension of fantasy altogether.
IAmNoHero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Rereading books Reply with quote

Kerowyn wrote:
It's a good read, but not one I come back to, like I reread the Valdemar and Pern books regularly. Not to mention The Lord of the Rings, but that's another dimension of fantasy altogether.

Didn't you mention that you also reread The Dresden Files once or twice? In English and French? shameless grin

What about Harry Potter?
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rereading books Reply with quote

IAmNoHero wrote:
Didn't you mention that you also reread The Dresden Files once or twice? In English and French? shameless grin

What about Harry Potter?

Quite. I did reread the whole Dresden Files series, all 15 books, cover-to-cover, twice in English (that is, I read the whole series 3 times), but read it only once in French - but then I only bought the French books last summer.

I did reread the first 4 Harry Potter books a couple of times, the later ones just once. Harry started getting on my nerves big time. super grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: