AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
The Cheysuli Chronicles by Jennifer Roberson
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jessica A

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject: The Cheysuli Chronicles by Jennifer Roberson Reply with quote

The Cheysuli Chronicles, by Jennifer Roberson

I liked Jennifer Roberson's "Sword Dancer" series and had heard of the Cheysuli Chronicles but never got around to reading them until now, after I found myself looking for something new to read...

Those were written back in the early 1980's and the first books were out of print. Readers' demand prompted the publisher to re-issue them in what they call "Omnibus" form. I saw an ad on Amazon and thought I'd give it a try.

I've only just started on the first volume, "Shapechangers". It's obvious it's Roberson's first try (the Sword Dancer series is a lot smoother), she stumbles a bit with characters and dialogue. The latter is stilted, and the characters' actions are not alway very rational or plausible. For all that, it's a good read. I'm at page 145 of the first book... Will report more on it when I finish it. Very Happy

Anyone else read that series?
Silver Dagger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: The Cheysuli Chronicles, by Jennifer Roberson Reply with quote

Jessica A wrote:
Anyone else read that series?

I did. It's a bit annoying at first. These were after all Roberson's first published works. She gets better as the series progresses.

It's true that in the first book, the characters don't act very rationally, their reactiions don't "feel" natural. They also change their minds, and hearts, at the drop of a hat, practically. It can be irritating. But Roberson gets a better handle on things with time and experience.

Go on reading, you'll probably enjoy it more as time goes by. Very Happy
Right by my side
And in her right hand
A Silver Dagger Music
Jessica A

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Cheysuli Chronicles, by Jennifer Roberson Reply with quote

Silver Dagger wrote:
Go on reading, you'll probably enjoy it more as time goes by. Very Happy

Hmm... Yes, it's entertaining reading, but several things bother me. The characters, for one. The hero of the third book, Donal, is so annoying I want to slap him. Most of the female characters are either conniving bitches or wide-eyed idiots. I could slap all of them silly. The plot twists are implausible - like how Strahan manages to "meet" Donal and get to be his "devoted" servant, and why didn't he kill Donal right away when Donal was stabbed by a possessed Aislin and poisoned by her mother?

The linking between Cheysuli and their "lir" is not unlike the link between the Pernese and their dragons, or the Valdemar Heralds with their Companions, but much less convincing.

Still, the twists and turns are imaginative enough to keep me reading, LOL.
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: The Cheysuli Chronicles, by Jennifer Roberson Reply with quote

One thing I don't at all like is that most of the male characters keep mistresses on whom they sire children, while being married to their wives for reasons of state and to beget a legitimate heir. Donal's "light woman" in particular is a total bitch, when the legitimate wife, Aislinn, is such a sweet, loving wife. It's a bit different in Niall's case, as his wife is, literally, mad, dangerously so, and his "meijha" and real true love is really nice.

What amused me is that the country of "Erinn" (just added an "n" to "Erin") is obviously Ireland, what with the lilting Irish accent, and the very Irish names - Deirdre, Sean, Shea, Liam, etc.
Mr. Write

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: The Cheysuli Chronicles, by Jennifer Roberson Reply with quote

For me, the problem with this series is that most characters are not likeable. Most are, at best, annoying. They all have this tendency to fall in love and/or sleep with and make kids with, the most unsuitable person possible. You're gonna tell me it's "just human". Yes, but the characters inh ere seem to take a perverse pleasure in doing that. Or they fall prey to some sort of black magic and "against their will" end up making love with gorgeous women or men then kick themselves afterwards. Rolling Eyes

The Cheysuli, who are supposed to be the heroes, are the worst in this.They and their unsufferable arrogance. The two Erinnish princesses (Deirdre and Aileen), not having one drop of Cheysuli blood in them, are the most likeable. You can actually feel sorry for them. The others just need a slap on the face or a good shake-up, be they "heroes" or villains. I thought I was going to throw up the next time I read the word "tahlmora" (destiny) to justify the silliest behaviour possible. Like Corin and Aileen falling in love with each other but she goes and marries Corin's elder brother anyway so as not to derail the "prophecy". Sheesh!
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cheysuli Chronicles, by Jennifer Roberson Reply with quote

Mr. Write wrote:
For me, the problem with this series is that most characters are not likeable. Most are, at best, annoying.

I'm with you there. It's funny that the only book where the main character is a woman is my least favourite, when in the Valdemar series, women are the main characters of most of the books and trilogies set during the reign of Queen Selenay - and I love them all. If you compare the two princesses, Elspeth in Valdemar, and Keely in Homana, it's no contest. Elspeth is a woman after my heart. Keely I could pick up bodily and use her to beat on, say, Electra, Rhiannon or Gisella, or most of all Sorcha. Or any of the guys except maybe Sean. Very Happy
Romentic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Cheysuli Chronicles, by Jennifer Roberson Reply with quote

Kerowyn wrote:
I'm with you there. It's funny that the only book where the main character is a woman is my least favourite, when in the Valdemar series, women are the main characters of most of the books and trilogies set during the reign of Queen Selenay - and I love them all. If you compare the two princesses, Elspeth in Valdemar, and Keely in Homana, it's no contest. Elspeth is a woman after my heart. Keely I could pick up bodily and use her to beat on, say, Electra, Rhiannon or Gisella, or most of all Sorcha. Or any of the guys except maybe Sean. Very Happy

It's unfair to compare the women in the two series, they live in quite different societies. In Valdemar there's absolute gender equality. Women can inherit the throne - Selenay is Queen, Elspeth as her eldest child should succeed her though she does have a younger brother -, women can lead armies - see Captain Kerowyn and her Skybolts, with some of her lieutenants being women too. Kerowyn outranks her significant other Eldan, and it doesn't bother him in the least. In Homana, it's true that Keely can be annoying, but she has a lot to fight against. She can only be queen by marrying a king. Her father doesn't even let her learn swordfight because "women are too weak to fight in battle". Homana and all the neighboring kingdoms are as macho as they come. Keely is rebellious, but she has to be just to be herself. While Elspeth doesn't have to question her position or her abilities. Doesn't even occur to her. So I think you should give Keely some slack. Very Happy
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Cheysuli Chronicles, by Jennifer Roberson Reply with quote

Romentic wrote:
It's unfair to compare the women in the two series, they live in quite different societies. In Valdemar there's absolute gender equality. Women can inherit the throne - Selenay is Queen, Elspeth as her eldest child should succeed her though she does have a younger brother -, women can lead armies - see Captain Kerowyn and her Skybolts, with some of her lieutenants being women too. Kerowyn outranks her significant other Eldan, and it doesn't bother him in the least. In Homana, it's true that Keely can be annoying, but she has a lot to fight against. She can only be queen by marrying a king. Her father doesn't even let her learn swordfight because "women are too weak to fight in battle". Homana and all the neighboring kingdoms are as macho as they come. Keely is rebellious, but she has to be just to be herself. While Elspeth doesn't have to question her position or her abilities. Doesn't even occur to her. So I think you should give Keely some slack. Very Happy

Good point, Romentic. Keely is a feminist in a very macho world. She's very annoying, but she's fighting impossible odds. I felt for her when she was arguing with the apothecary about the "right to choose", especially for a victim of rape (not to mention that the rapist was, to boot, an evil sorcerer bent on destroying the Cheysuli race.)
Mr. Write

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Cheysuli Chronicles, by Jennifer Roberson Reply with quote

Mr. Write wrote:
For me, the problem with this series is that most characters are not likeable.

I'll add to this the fact that, whereas the other "bond-mates" to the heroes/heroines (the Pernese dragons, the Valdemaran Companions, the Hawkbrother's bond-birds) are generally likeable, the Cheysuli "lir" are just as annoying as the Cheysuli themselves. Also, the bond between "lir" and Cheysuli is not depicted as well as that between dragon and dragon rider, or between Companion and Herald.

This said, Ms. Roberson is very good at unexpected twists and turns, though those are sometimes contrived. She kind of cheats when she spring a "masked" villain or villainess into the mix. Like how Strahan or Rhiannon get, without being detected, close to their victims...
Lizzie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Cheysuli Chronicles, by Jennifer Roberson Reply with quote

Mr. Write wrote:
This said, Ms. Roberson is very good at unexpected twists and turns, though those are sometimes contrived. She kind of cheats when she spring a "masked" villain or villainess into the mix. Like how Strahan or Rhiannon get, without being detected, close to their victims...

Agreement completely. Lochiel has Brennan's sapphire ring that he uses as a shield, but the others didn't, so how did they get close enough to seduce and/or kill their victims without the "lir" putting up a racket?

Say, shouldn't this books series have its own thread? There's at least a dozen posts about it in here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: