AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
RIP Princess Leia - Carrie Fisher

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Movie Buff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: RIP Princess Leia - Carrie Fisher Reply with quote

Iconic Star Wars Actress Carrie Fisher Dies at 60: ‘She Was Loved by the World and She Will Be Missed Profoundly’

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/iconic-star-wars-actress-carrie-174459671.html

Carrie Fisher, the actress best known as Star Wars‘ Princess Leia Organa, has died after suffering a heart attack. She was 60.

Family spokesman Simon Halls released a statement to PEOPLE on behalf of Fisher’s daughter, Billie Lourd:

“It is with a very deep sadness that Billie Lourd confirms that her beloved mother Carrie Fisher passed away at 8:55 this morning,” reads the statement.

“She was loved by the world and she will be missed profoundly,” says Lourd. “Our entire family thanks you for your thoughts and prayers.”

Fisher was flying from London to Los Angeles on Friday, Dec. 23, when she went into cardiac arrest. Paramedics removed her from the flight and rushed her to a nearby hospital, where she was treated for a heart attack. She later died in the hospital.

The daughter of showbiz veteran Debbie Reynolds and entertainer Eddie Fisher, Fisher was brought up in the sometimes tumultuous world of film, theatre and television.

Escaping Hollywood in 1973, the star enrolled in the Central School of Speech and Drama in London, where she spent over a year studying acting.

Just two years later, though, the bright lights of Hollywood drew her back, and Fisher made her film debut in the Warren Beatty-lead Shampoo.

Her role in Star Wars would follow in 1977 – the experience she recently detailed in memoir, The Princess Diarist. She was only 19 when the first installment of the beloved sci-fi franchise was filmed.

In addition to the second and third Star Wars films – and last year’s The Force Awakens – Fisher starred in 1980’s The Blues Brothers, The Man with One Red Shoe, Woody Allen’s Hannah and Her Sisters in 1986 and, later, When Harry Met Sally.

Fisher wed musician Paul Simon in 1983. It was an explosive marriage, according to Homeward Bound: The Life of Paul Simon author Peter Ames Carlin, and was cut short by swinging stages of depression, the actresses’ drug use and an array of personal insecurities. The relationship continued, though, on-and-off for several years after the pair divorced in 1984.

The star’s substance abuse problem was well-known, starting at only age 13 when she first started smoking marijuana, Fisher previously told The Telegraph. She said she later dabbled in drugs like cocaine and LSD. Fisher’s addiction was largely profiled in her 1987 best-selling, semi-autobiographical novel, Postcards from the Edge, which was later turned into a movie starring Meryl Streep.

“I never could take alcohol. I always said I was allergic to alcohol, and that’s actually a definition to alcoholism — an allergy of the body and an obsession of the mind,” Fisher told the Herald-Tribune in 2013. “So I didn’t do other kinds of drugs until I was about 20. Then, by the time I was 21 it was LSD. I didn’t love cocaine, but I wanted to feel any way other than the way I did, so I’d do anything.”

In 1985, Fisher was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, she told the Herald-Tribune, and subsequently became an outspoken advocate for mental health awareness.

Throughout much of the ’90s, Fisher focused on her writing career, publishing Surrender the Pink and Delusions of Grandma. In addition, Fisher reportedly helped craft the scripts for numerous Hollywood films, going uncredited, for films like The Wedding Singer, Hook and Sister Act.

Billie Lourd, Fisher’s only child, was born in July 1992. The Scream Queens star’s father, talent agent Bryan Lourd, dated Fisher for three years and is now married to Bruce Bozzi.

In 2005, Fisher was recognized with the Women of Vision Award by the Women in Film & Video – DC. Three years later, Fisher’s Wishful Drinking autobiography was turned into a one-woman stage show and eventually an HBO documentary.

Of returning to the role that launched her career – Leia – for The Force Awakens, Fisher told PEOPLE in 2015, “I knew that something enormous was likely going to impact my life from this film and that there was absolutely no way of understanding what that was or was likely to be.”

The film – which brought Fisher back into the spotlight – earned her a nomination for the 2016 Saturn Award for best supporting actress.
Movie Buff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: RIP Princess Leia - Carrie Fisher Reply with quote

Carrie Fisher: The Funniest, Most Spirited ‘Princess Diarist’
Joal Ryan

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/carrie-fisher-the-funniest-most-spirited-princess-diarist-190949588.html

Princess Leia

How young they were!!!

Bérénice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Princess Leia - Carrie Fisher Reply with quote

Movie Buff wrote:
How young they were!!!

So were we!!! Very Happy I remember going to see the very first Star Wars movie, I was in my teens! baby (well, not quite that young, LOL)
Sans que jamais Titus puisse voir Bérénice?

In a month, in a year, how will we steel our hearts
My lord, to being from each other oceans apart?
And that day after day dawns and then dies
Without our ever being able to see each other's eyes?
Jessica A

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Carrie Fisher, A Master of Truth-Telling Reply with quote

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/12/27/why-we-ll-miss-carrie-fisher-and-george-michael-both-candid-truth-tellers.html?via=newsletter&source=DDAfternoon

Why We’ll Miss Carrie Fisher and George Michael, Both Candid Truth-Tellers
Carrie Fisher may have starred as the iconic Princess Leia, but it was her honesty about her own life and Hollywood that provide her most piquant legacy.
Tim Teeman
12.27.16 8:00 PM ET

Carrie Fisher, who died today aged 60, told truths: hard truths, funny truths, spiky truths. She did it in her books, and she did it on stage, and lately she did it on red carpets and TV shows accompanied by the best-ever sidekick, a dog named Gary, who seemed in his own way to be like his mistress: singular, and pretty focused on doing his thing at nobody else’s behest.

Fisher was an original—a boundary breaker in Hollywood—when she played Leia in Star Wars, a princess quite capable, determined even, to take care of herself, to fight for herself, and live for herself.

Fisher’s sharp intelligence informed that role, and gave Leia all her best edges. Later Fisher said she would have preferred to have played Han Solo—that Leia was too snarky and complaining. But, Fisher said, she was happy that Leia killed Jabba the Hutt, and wore a gold metal bikini while doing so. On another wearer or character that clothing might have implied sexual submission; as worn by Fisher it became pure power dressing.

The ghost of the bolshy, self-possessed Leia proved a useful one, because although there were other movies that Fisher appeared in—she’s the best friend in When Harry Met Sally, observing Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan’s romantic tribulations and wishing she too may never be single again—what she became best-known as was an in-house puncturer of Hollywood’s egos and absurdities.

[...]

Carrie Fisher’s legacy, like George Michael’s, lies in a multi-hued body of work, her being different, her calling bullshit when it mattered, and her living a complex, full life.

It’s awful she’s not going to be here to make us laugh more, but her words and piquant honesty will surely remain inspiring, potent keepsakes.
Couch Potato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Doc About Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds Reply with quote

HBO To Premiere Doc About Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds JAN 7th!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hbo-bright-lights-starring-carrie-fisher-debbie-reynolds_us_5867d29ae4b0de3a08f8944a

Just days after the deaths of mother-daughter duo Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher, HBO has announced that it will move up the premiere of a documentary film about the actresses that was supposed to air in March.

The film, Bright Lights: Starring Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher, was predominately shot in 2014 and 2015. But following the deaths of the daughter and mother on Dec. 27 and Dec. 28, respectively, the cable channel has pushed up the airdate to Jan. 7 at 8 p.m.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: