AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Outcry over Last Tango in Paris rape scene

View previous topic :: View next topic  
murat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Outcry over Last Tango in Paris rape scene Reply with quote

I am speechless reading the article of the NY TIMES . this film was a good one and the cast was fantastic . A great performance by Brando. I love Bertolucci 's films , he is a great film director but this revelation put a nasty mark on his art.

Revisited ‘Last Tango in Paris’ Rape Scene Causes Internet Outcry
Daniel Victor

Maria Schneider, left, and Marlon Brando dance in a scene from 1972’s “Last Tango in Paris.” United Artists

In 2007, Maria Schneider said that she “ Felt a little raped ' during the filming of an infamous rape scene with Marlon Brando in the 1972 film “Last Tango in Paris,” and that the tears she cried on screen were real.

In 2013, Bernardo Bertolucci, the director of the film, confirmed that Ms Schneider wasn'told aheard of time that Mr. Brando would use butter as a lubricant for the simulated sex because he “wanted Maria to feel, not to act, the rage and the humiliation.”

Mr. Bertolucci’s comments did not receive widespread attention at the time, but rocketed into prominence over the weekend after they resurfaced in media reports about a Spanish nonprofit’s publicity campaign about violence against women. Several prominent figures in Hollywood responded on social media with anger toward Mr. Bertolucci and Mr. Brando, while wondering why Ms. Schneider’s story was not better known.

“Inexcusable,’’ Ava DuVernay, a filmmaker, said “As a director, I can barely fathom this. As a woman, I am horrified, disgusted and enraged by it.”

Chris Evans, an actor, said: “I will never look at this film, Bertolucci or Brando the same way again. This is beyond disgusting. I feel rage.”

Ms. Schneider was an unknown 19-year-old French actress paid $4,000 for her part in “Last Tango,” in which her torrid affair with an American businessman, played by a 48-year-old Mr. Brando, included explicit sex scenes that shocked audiences. The scene in which Mr. Brando pins her to the floor and appears to force anal intercourse remains one of the enduring images from the film, and was part of the reason The Motion Picture Association of America gave the film an X rating.

It was critically acclaimed; Mr. Brando, who died in 2004 , received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor, while Mr. Bertolucci, 76, was nominated for Best Director. Ms. Schneider was not nominated but emerged as a sex symbol; she had several leading roles in the 1970s, but her acting career declined later in the decade, while her personal life was marred by drug abuse and at least one suicide attempt. In 2011, she died of cancer at age 58 .

In an interview with the Daily Mail in 2007 , she said the rape scene, which was shot in one take, left her feeling humiliated and attacked by both Mr. Brando and Mr. Bertolucci.
“That scene wasn’t in the original script. The truth is, it was Marlon who came up with the idea,” Ms. Schneider said. “I should have called my agent or had my lawyer come to the set because you can’t force someone to do something that isn’t in the script, but at the time, I didn’t know that. Mr Bertolucci said in 2013 ”that he and Mr. Brando thought of including butter in the scene on the morning it was filmed and purposely kept Ms. Schneider in the dark.

“I didn’t tell her what was going on because I wanted her reaction as a girl, not as an actress,” he said.

He said that Ms. Schneider hated him until her death, but the tactic was necessary to obtain the effect.

“I feel guilty,’’ he said, “but I do not regret.”

While Ms. Schneider’s statements in her 2007 interview did not go unnoticed — they figured prominently in her obituary in the NY Times.— neither it nor Mr. Bertolucci’s 2013 interview instantly received the kind of widespread attention that both gained this weekend.

El Mundo de Alycia, a Spanish nonprofit, posted the video of Mr. Bertolucci’s interview to YouTube as part of a protest against violence against women in November. It began appearing in English-language outlets, Including Elle, on Friday, and celebrities soon responded in force.

In a statement on Monday, Mr. Bertolucci called the flap “a ridiculous misunderstanding.”
“Somebody thought, and thinks, that Maria had not been informed about the violence on her. That is false!” he said in the statement, according to Variety .

“Maria knew everything because she had read the script, where it was all described,” he continued. “The only novelty was the idea of the butter. And that, as I learned many years later, offended Maria. Not the violence that she is subjected to in the scene, which was written in the screenplay.”

Those responding on Twitter included several well-known actors in Hollywood.
Others on Twitter wondered why it took so long for the outrage to form.
Annamite_en_France

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Last Tango in Paris Reply with quote

I saw the movie eons ago... So long ago I don't even remember that scene...

While I do remember the scene in The Last Metro, where Catherine Deneuve and Gérard Depardieu make frantic love under the kitchen table. Go figure... Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: