AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
8 Common Telephone Scams
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Internaute

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: 8 Common Telephone Scams Reply with quote

Phone Scams: Beware of These 8 Common Telephone Scams

Read More:

https://www.callersmart.com/articles/16/phone-scams-beware-of-these-8-common-telephone-scams
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Telephone scams Reply with quote

I, and also my across the street neighbour, had calls from the "IRS", demanding money and threatening arrest... Even tried to get me to bring them a $5,000 check. UnMask and I thought we'd do a sting, go to the "meeting" while calling the police, but the cops weren't interested... Just told me to be careful and not give money!!

It happened again not long ago, and I emailed a police detective I know (the one who came to investigate when my jewelry was stolen) with the number that showed up on the Caller ID (I didn't pick up the phone, the scammers left a message), it turned out that it was not a working number...
Asteria

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Telephone scams Reply with quote

I get those robocalls all the time. I just don't pick up the phone. Sometimes the scammer leave a voice mail, sometimes, they just give up.

The IRS scam is widespread, I've heard many people who got those calls. Some were gullible enough to pay the scammers. There's been several reports on the scam on TV, warning people. But still, some people panic and pay...

They should know that the IRS doesn't call in cases like that, they write. They certainly don't send an agent to pick up a check... Made out to "Cash", no doubt??
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Telephone scams Reply with quote

A similar scam is going on here in the name of the ATO (Australian Taxation Office) which I gather is the equivalent of the IRS... The government has been madly advertising these scams on TV the internet and even via email if they have a record of yours....

I even got an email about the fake driving infringement scam that is going on and we don't have a car and I don't even have a licence...LOL

There is also some scam going on with holiday bookings now so they are advising caution when booking accommodation over the internet as it tricks you out of your bank details etc... I have been getting all the scam alerts via email from the Govt. at the rate of one two or more each week lately but I have never fallen for any of them as haven't been targeted by many of them so far...
Anything suspicious on the phone and I hangup.
Silver Dagger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Telephone and email scams Reply with quote

The "free vacation" scam is also very frequent. It comes both by phone and by email.

Quote:
Free Vacations and Prizes

You finish your day at work and you have a voicemail from an unknown number: "Congratulations! You've won a free cruise to the Bahamas! To claim your reward..." Chances are, like most things, this is too good to be true. The free prize, Disney trip, Caribbean cruise, dream vacation, etc. is a common scam. What you've won might change, but the scammers still want the same thing: your personal info and money.

A major red flag to watch out for with these free trip/reward scams is if they ask you to first pay a small fee in order to collect your prize. If you've won something then you shouldn't have to pay for it.

Another variation of the free trip/reward scam is the Jamaican lottery scam, which specifically targets the elderly.

Another frequent email scam is a relative or relation having lost their passport and money on vacation and asking you to wire them some cash urgently. Those often come from the email address of someone you actually know.
Right by my side
And in her right hand
A Silver Dagger Music
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Scams Reply with quote

Ah yes that scam of a friend or relative being robbed overseas and asking for money is an old one indeed and you really need to speak personally with that friend or relative to make sure it isn't a scam... Actually when you think of it they would probably be phoning you even if it is reverse charges in an emergency like that and not emailing you....
Du Khach
Herald

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Scams Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Ah yes that scam of a friend or relative being robbed overseas and asking for money is an old one indeed and you really need to speak personally with that friend or relative to make sure it isn't a scam... Actually when you think of it they would probably be phoning you even if it is reverse charges in an emergency like that and not emailing you....

Actually no, you don't need to speak with the relative or friend in question... Usually you know where they are (like, not in Turkey or Kazakhstan or wherever), and you also recognize their style of writing.

It happened to a cousin of mine, all people in the family got a "Help! I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with no money" message in perfect English, when we all knew that person's English was basic at best...

It actually happened to me too, all my contacts got an SOS. Several of them emailed or called me to warn me that my account had been hacked. Nobody believed it, nobody asked if it was true - they knew I was home at that time of year. Sometimes, though, the account is not hacked, when you look closely, you see that the address the SOS came from is NOT the address of you relative or friend.

The thing to do, if you want to contact that friend or relative, is to write them in a NEW message. NEVER, EVER, click on "Reply". Because then the scammers know they've reached a real person and they keep writing you. It happened to someone I know, too. She replied to the message. She got several more calls for help. Then a little while after that, HER account was hacked in its turn...
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Scams Reply with quote

Actually you do need to speak to them especially if the English is OK as many of the scammers English is OK as many of them have grown up in this environment so you do need to speak to them in person especially as they might happen to be travelling around the world so you will recognise their voices etc and will know more personal things about them which no doubt will be revealed over the phone and the chances are the scammers will not know these things or recognise the voices... So there goes that theory mate... super grin
Du Khach
Herald

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Scams Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Actually you do need to speak to them especially if the English is OK as many of the scammers English is OK as many of them have grown up in this environment so you do need to speak to them in person especially as they might happen to be travelling around the world so you will recognise their voices etc and will know more personal things about them which no doubt will be revealed over the phone and the chances are the scammers will not know these things or recognise the voices... So there goes that theory mate... super grin

I'm not sure I see your point. My point is, if you know the person who called for help is safely at home and not gallivanting God knows where, and know they can't write English while the SOS is in good English (or for that matter French, I also got those messages in perfectly colloquial French), it's not necessary to call. Just warn them by email that their email account is being used and may have been hacked.

If you don't know whether they're at home or not, or maybe in Spain or Russia or wherever, how do you call them? Most cell phones don't work for overseas calls - or cost a fortune, to both the caller and the recipient. Fore example, when Wildflower was in France, she left instructions to call her landline there but not her cell phone, as she was charged almost $2 a minute for incoming calls on the cell. In her case, as she has an apartment in France, a message saying her hotel room burned with all her money and papers wouldn't hold much water.

Personal questions to verify ID can be asked by email. As I said before, just don't click on "Reply" to the SOS message.
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: It does happen Reply with quote

When my sister was overseas in the US she had her passport and money stolen and she phoned home for some money. She had reported it to the police and did have travel insurance which is a must when travelling and the embassy was there for help too. We phoned home from Ecuador from Cabinas when travelling out of Quito... A few dollars for a few but now we just get local sim cards and use our mobile phones when travelling around.. Prepaid Sim cars are cheap and can be bought anywhere. My relatives use them when overseas in Asia and Europe... You can also phone cheaply from most internet cafes so why send an email when you can talk to the person on the phone anyway? But you are right about not hitting reply if you want to contact the person by email and you would wonder why they weren't using their email address anyway. Besides wouldn't the family or close friends know where they were and they would be the ones being contacted not some not so close friend....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: