AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Trump's Dangerous Tweets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Du Khach
Herald

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheesh, Unmask! Reply with quote

Angelina wrote:
Annamite_en_France wrote:
Maybe that's why our Fearless Leader stays friends with him? Trying to get a little sense into him? wink

I understand he has certain redeeming features. Very Happy

I was about to write "Love is blind", but thinking about it, a more accurate explanation would be "He's my friend, warts and all" - which in my book is better than blindness... But I don't really know. Wink

Quote:
AND we're all hopelessly off-topic! Sorry, Fearless Leader! bleh I mean Embarassed

Ditto. Embarassed
Xuân Phong

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Live by the tweet, die by the tweet Reply with quote

We were so right to call him the Yellow-crested birdbrain!! Shooting himself in the foot yet again! super grin

Who Wrote That Flynn Tweet, Trump or Dowd? It Hardly Matters—Both Answers Are Horrible for Trump
And now Dowd is saying that by definition, a president can’t obstruct justice. Pretty sure there are some people out there who’d beg to differ.
BY Matt Lewis

President Trump believed that then-national security adviser Michael Flynn probably told the FBI the same lies that he told Vice President Mike Pence.

In journalism, we are taught to avoid using too many words like “believed” and “probably,” but this is the only way to describe the latest spin coming from Donald Trump’s personal lawyer. It is meant to clean up a much less nuanced tweet Trump sent, saying he had to fire Flynn “because he lied to the Vice President and the FBI.”

Trump’s personal lawyer, John Dowd, had already taken the blame for drafting the tweet. But now, according to The Washington Post, Dowd is also saying that “Trump knew generally that Flynn’s account to the FBI and Pence (his claim to have never spoken with then-Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak about sanctions) were similar…”

Pardon me if I don’t see how this latest revelation helps Dowd’s client. Even with this new explanation, we are left with the impression that Trump assumed Flynn had committed a felony. That didn’t stop Trump from pressuring then-FBI director James Comey to go easy on him—or from firing Comey when he didn’t.

I’m no legal scholar, but the distinction that Trump believed something as opposed to knowing it might not quell the allegations that he obstructed justice.

Perhaps this is why Dowd is now telling Axios that “the president cannot obstruct justice.” (Or, as Richard Nixon said, “When the president does it, that means it’s not illegal.”)

Is it just me, or would Trump be better off if John Dowd quit talking? Honestly, I’m not sure which constitutes the greater potential liability, John Dowd’s comments to the media or Trump’s Twitter feed.

It is, perhaps, worth restating the obvious: This potentially damning information wouldn’t even be known had Donald Trump not voluntarily injected it into the public sphere. This is a pattern.

Federal judges have cited Trump’s tweets about a “Muslim ban” as an excuse to challenge his original travel ban executive order. One Maryland district court cited a particularly offensive Trump tweet when rendering his decision: “Particularly where, in August 2017, President Trump tweeted a statement that a method hostile to Islam — shooting Muslims with bullets dipped in pig’s blood — should be used to deter future terrorism, there is no record of public statements showing any change in the president’s intentions relating to a Muslim ban,” he concluded.

Even if you believe a president should be afforded wide latitude in matters involving national security and immigration, it is obvious that Trump’s tweets complicate his own stated goals. After Trump criticized his own Justice Department for drafting a “watered down” version, George Conway, a respected attorney, an ostensible Trump supporter, and the husband of Kellyanne Conway, tweeted his disapproval.

Conway also told NBC News that “the point cannot be stressed enough that tweets on legal matters seriously undermine the administration’s agenda and president, and those who support him, as I do, need to reinforce that point and not be shy about it.”

Another example: After a terrorist plowed over pedestrians on a bike path in New York City this past Halloween, Trump also took to Twitter. “He killed 8 people, badly injured 12. SHOULD GET DEATH PENALTY!” Trump averred. It has been suggested that this will make it less likely that the suspect will receive the death penalty, because it could be seen as an attempt to influence the court or a jury pool.

That same day, a federal judge temporarily blocked Trump’s transgender military ban, based at least partly on his tweets.

There are plenty of arguments for why Trump should step away from his smartphone, but the most compelling might just be that he inadvertently creates legal problems for the causes he advocates—and for himself.

“I would just say this with the president: There’s an ongoing criminal investigation,” Sen. Lindsey Graham said on Face the Nation. “You tweet and comment regarding ongoing criminal investigations at your own peril.”

This is also sure to spark a debate over whether things admitted to on Twitter constitute an official statement. Dowd is claiming that “A tweet is a shorthand.” But the White House has said that Trump’s tweets constitute “official statements.”

The new “a tweet is just a tweet” paradigm is a predictable argument to make when it becomes clear that the social network has become a net-negative—and yet, everyone knows the principal won’t abandon the medium. The only way to manage it is to suggest that Twitter doesn’t really count as speech.

In any event, this is where we have arrived. Observers have long warned that Trump’s tweets, while sometimes effective, were tremendously risky. Typically, the reasons cited involve public relations gaffes, as well as more serious concerns about roiling financial markets or inadvertently provoking an international incident. But it turns out that the greatest victim of Trump’s stream-of-conscious tweets clearly is Donald Trump himself. There is, at least, a chance that the “live by the tweet/die by the tweet” maxim might hold true—that information Trump voluntarily gave us, via a tweet about Mike Flynn, could be the thing that hands his political opponents their heretofore most potent weapon. Nothing would be more ironic.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/who-wrote-that-flynn-tweet-trump-or-dowd-it-hardly-mattersboth-answers-are-horrible-for-trump?via=newsletter&source=DDMorning
ZeroG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Who Wrote That Flynn Tweet? Reply with quote

Conway: Attorney Wrote Flynn Tweet, She Was With Trump ‘All Day’ on Saturday

Top White House adviser Kellyanne Conway corroborated President Trump’s attorney’s claim that he wrote the president’s Saturday tweet in which he said he fired former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn for lying to Vice President Mike Pence and to the FBI. Conway said Monday that she was with Trump “all day” Saturday and that lawyer John Dowd wrote the tweet and sent it to the “director of social media,” CNN reported. The claim that Trump knew Flynn lied to the FBI could be used as possible evidence in an obstruction of justice case against the president.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/conway-attorney-wrote-flynn-tweet-she-was-with-trump-all-day-on-saturday

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Did Trump Just Admit To Crime? Reply with quote

Did Trump Just Admit To Crime?
Did Trump just admit to obstruction of justice?

https://youtu.be/Es5jWDIKCsU

Fool Moon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Why Donald Trump’s Tweet Is "More Damning" Reply with quote

Why Donald Trump’s Tweet Is "More Damning" If Lawyer Helped
Fordham law professor Jed Shugerman tells Lawrence O’Donnell that Trump’s tweet about what he told James Comey would be more taken more seriously by a court if it was vetted by his legal counsel.

https://youtu.be/AZ3oIB454sc

Fool Moon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Flynn Flips, Trump tweets! Reply with quote

Trump Tweet-Confesses Obstruction Of Justice
Trump unwittingly (well, we know he has no wits, right?) admits that he knew that Flynn lied when Trump asked Comey to lay off his investigation

https://youtu.be/czhSzmxN3WU

https://youtu.be/vlMFNhPUfPI

Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Trump Unhinged, Slams Own FBI in Twitter Rant Reply with quote

Trump Unhinged, Slams Own FBI in Twitter Rant
In light of Michael Flynn's guilty plea and the Robert Mueller investigation closing in, Donald Trump takes to Twitter and criticizes his own FBI, saying its reputation is "in Tatters - worst in history"

https://youtu.be/BTlmrVDgkPk

Do Quy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Tweeting a confession to obstruction of justice Reply with quote

Donald Trump's Attorney John Dowd Makes Himself A Target To Special Counsel
Donald Trump's tweet about firing Michael Flynn, which his attorney John Dowd stated he wrote, and Dowd's comment that the president cannot obstruct justice is shocking Washington for another day.

https://youtu.be/CRAZpBHk4sY

Heeh heeh, did you hear Kellyanne Conway giving an alibi to the Prez? He was with her all day so couldn't tweet? You believe that? If you do, there's this nice bridge I have that I can sell you for a good price. bleh - Please note that I wrote the above, about the bridge, before I came to Joe Scarborough saying the same thing. shameless grin
Doan_Du
Herald

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Trump's staff's tweets Reply with quote

EPIC Sarah Huckabee Sanders Tweet Goes Viral
Before Sarah Huckabee Sanders was the White House Press Secretary, she tweeted "when you're attacking FBI agents because you're under criminal investigation, you're losing," a statement that has not aged well now that her boss, Donald Trump, is attacking the FBI and under criminal investigation

https://youtu.be/ObkBUlCDdyA

Xuân Phong

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Trump's Tweet History Reply with quote

Does President Donald Trump's Tweet Prove Obstruction Of Justice?President Donald Trump tweeted over the weekend he needed to fire fmr. WH National Security Adviser Michael Flynn' because he lied to VP Pence and the FBI. Does the tweet prove obstruction of justice as many have claimed?

https://youtu.be/fM6n5QIEGiM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Politix All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: