AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Snape's First Words in "Harry Potter"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rowena

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Snape's First Words in "Harry Potter" Reply with quote

Did you know this?

From Good Housekeeping UK - http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/entertainment/news/a41124/snapes-first-words-harry-potter/

The Real Meaning Behind Snape's First Words in "Harry Potter" Is Absolutely Heartbreaking

As if dealing with Severus Snape's death and his sad story wasn't tragic enough, a new revelation about the character has come to light – and it's heartbreaking. A serious Harry Potter fan has developed a new theory around Snape's opening line in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

In the film, Snape, played by the late Alan Rickman, asks Harry, 'Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?'

While the complexity behind the Potions question went completely over our heads, it turns out that it was very important to the story.

The fan, who goes by the name tomhiddles, decoded the meaning behind the words and was shocked at what it really meant. He said, "According to Victorian flower language, asphodel is a type of lily meaning 'my regrets follow you to the grave' and wormwood means 'absence' and also typically symbolizes bitter sorrow." If you combined that, Snape's words mean "I bitterly regret Lily's death."

Now we'll have to watch the whole franchise again to see if we can spot anything else!
The Shuttle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Snape's First Words in "Harry Potter" Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you know this?

The Real Meaning Behind Snape's First Words in "Harry Potter" Is Absolutely Heartbreaking

No I didn't know and, truth to tell, since I'm a SNATER, I must confess that my heart isn't breaking.

Unhealthily mournng after Lily didn't keep Snape from being horrible to her son. one
inkling7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Snape's behaviour to Harry Reply with quote

But then as someone else said if Snape had been nice to Harry et al it might have aroused suspicions amongst the Deatheaters and he may not have been able to go on being a double agent/spy for Dumbledore... I'm sure Draco told his father about Snape's attitude to the good guys and his favouring of the bad guys so to speak.... super grin
The Shuttle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Snape's behaviour to Harry Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
But then as someone else said if Snape had been nice to Harry et al it might have aroused suspicions amongst the Deatheaters and he may not have been able to go on being a double agent/spy for Dumbledore... I'm sure Draco told his father about Snape's attitude to the good guys and his favouring of the bad guys so to speak.... super grin

He could have kept his cover without going to the lengths he went to, humiliating Hermione, spilling Harry's potion, etc. He overdid it, mostly, IMO, because he resented Harry as James' son. As we have said numerous times before, Snape's love for Lily was not a real, selfless love, the kind that only wants the loved one and those she loves happy. It's a possessive, self-centered love. Not at all my idea of true love.
inkling7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Nasty bullies Reply with quote

Well we know Snape's father seemed to be a bit of a bully and kids often learn from their parents. I can't understand why his mother being a witch didn't stand up to her muggle spouse... rather like Tom Riddle's mother being mistreated by Tom's father simply because they were obsessed with them and I wonder the slight similarities in their childhoods made both Snape and Tom Riddle bullies in their own ways...Snape was obsessed with Lily not only because she was pretty and a witch but was nice to him until he got too heavily involved with Malfoy et al. I suppose like Peter Pettigrew he was a hanger-oner at the edge of the popular students circles...

Yes he did go overboard with the nastiness and could have toned it down a lot with out being really nice to those he was not supposed to like according the death eater mob. I remember the fake Mad-eye Moody going rather overboard with being nasty to Draco so people wouldn't be suspicious about him too and being nice to Neville and Harry...Though I suppose many people were glad he turned Draco into a ferret and had a large spider land on his face etc...LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: