AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Bob Dylan Wins Nobel Prize for Literature
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bérénice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bob Dylan and the Peace Prize Reply with quote

Anémone wrote:
My beef here is that his writing is only for the English-speaking world. The Nobel Prize should be universal.

I disagree on two points:

1. Bob Dylan's songs have been translated in several languages, including French. His most political/protest songs (With God on our Side, Blowing in the Wind) as well as his kind of incomprehensible songs (Suzanne) and his love songs (It ain't me Babe, Don't think twice it's all right)

2. How many people have read some of the Literature Nobel Prize winners - even English-speaking (or writing) - I've never read Nadine Gordimer for example - let alone in "exotic" languages like Japanese, Icelandic or Bengali?

The irony is that the winner himself doesn't seem to care much about getting this prestigious award.
Sans que jamais Titus puisse voir Bérénice?

In a month, in a year, how will we steel our hearts
My lord, to being from each other oceans apart?
And that day after day dawns and then dies
Without our ever being able to see each other's eyes?
Bérénice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Dylan's website takes down acknowledgment of prize Reply with quote

Bob Dylan's Website Scrubs Mention of Winning Nobel Prize in Literature

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/bob-dylan-s-website-scrubs-mention-winning-nobel-prize-literature-n670601

Bob Dylan's website takes down acknowledgment that he is a Nobel Prize winner

Bob Dylan recently added Nobel Prize laureate to his list of accomplishments — but fans of the famously elusive singer-songwriter wouldn't know it by looking at his official website.

BobDylan.com has quietly scrubbed the one mention of him as the "winner of the Nobel Prize in literature" in "the lyrics" section of the site following his surprise win last week.

The 11-time Grammy winner — on tour in support of a new album — has made no public mention of the prestigious prize. But the simple online acknowledgement seemed as if he were changing his tune about accepting the honor.

PHOTOS: Rock Poet Bob Dylan's Life in Pictures

Despite the increased attention showered on him, the Swedish Academy said it tried unsuccessfully to make contact with his reps. The board said Monday it had given up trying to confirm whether he'll even attend a Stockholm banquet honoring him and other Nobel winners in December.

Dylan, 75, is the first songwriter to win the Nobel literature prize. He is known for taking his time to recognize awards.
Sans que jamais Titus puisse voir Bérénice?

In a month, in a year, how will we steel our hearts
My lord, to being from each other oceans apart?
And that day after day dawns and then dies
Without our ever being able to see each other's eyes?
Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Bob Dylan Finally Accepts Nobel Prize Reply with quote

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER
Bob Dylan Finally Accepts Nobel Prize

Bob Dylan has contacted the Swedish Academy and accepted the Nobel Prize that members of the academy awarded to him weeks ago. According to the academy's permanent secretary, Sara Danius, Dylan said he was left “speechless” by the award and would “of course” accept it. The news comes after Dylan failed to respond to the award for several weeks, prompting a member of the academy to say his silence on the matter was “impolite and arrogant.” The Swedish Academy said it had given up on contacting Dylan two weeks ago, but Danius said at the time that they would wait for Dylan to make contact. In a statement on the academy’s website on Friday, Dylan was cited as saying, “The news about the Nobel Prize left me speechless … I appreciate the honor so much.”

https://apnews.com/45a9efc1e6b04dcf9547cbdb44a07ba3?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP
Annamite_en_Amérique

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Patti Smith Accepts Bob Dylan’s Nobel Prize Reply with quote

A Transcendent Patti Smith Accepts Bob Dylan’s Nobel Prize

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/a-transcendent-patti-smith-accepts-bob-dylans-nobel-prize

[...]

Smith was accompanied by the Philharmonic performing a spare and gentle arrangement of Dylan’s “A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall,” orchestrated by Hans Ek, a Swedish conductor. She looked so striking: elegant and calm in a navy blazer and a white collared shirt, her long, silver hair hanging in loose waves, hugging her cheekbones. I started crying almost immediately. She forgot the words to the second verse—or at least became too overwhelmed to voice them—and asked to begin the section again. I cried more. “I’m sorry, I’m so nervous,” Smith admitted. The orchestra obliged. The entire performance felt like a fierce and instantaneous corrective to “times like these”—a reiteration of the deep, overwhelming, and practical utility of art to combat pain. In that moment, the mission of the Nobel transcended any of its individual recipients. How plainly glorious to celebrate this work.

The second verse, the one Smith paused on, describes a dystopian nightmare state, a landscape ravaged by a surreal despair:

Oh, what did you see, my blue-eyed son?
    Oh, what did you see, my darling young one?
    I saw a newborn baby with wild wolves all around it
    I saw a highway of diamonds with nobody on it
    I saw a black branch with blood that kept drippin’
    I saw a room full of men with their hammers a-bleedin’
    I saw a white ladder all covered with water
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken
    I saw guns and sharp swords in the hands of young children
    And it’s a hard, and it’s a hard, it’s a hard, it’s a hard
    And it’s a hard rain’s a-gonna fall

Dylan wrote the song in the summer of 1962, for his second album, “The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan.” He has said it was inspired, structurally, by seventeenth-century balladry: a question is posed, and answers stack up, though none are particularly comforting. It’s the questioning, though—and, moreover, the accounting it inspires—that seems essential. Who hasn’t, in a moment of true desperation or fear, surveyed our world and found only ugliness? Dylan’s intelligence is often antagonistic—his instinct is to seethe—but here, he seems to be encouraging his listeners to shore each other up, to acknowledge the darkness and to bear it.

That Dylan ultimately accepted the Nobel with a folk song (and this specific folk song, performed by a surrogate, a peer) seemed to communicate something significant about how and what he considers his own work (musical, chiefly), and the fluid, unsteady nature of balladry itself—both the ways in which old songs are fairly reclaimed by new performers, and how their meanings change with time. Before Smith took the stage, Horace Engdahl, a literary historian and critic, dismissed any controversy over Dylan’s win, saying the decision “seemed daring only beforehand, and already seems obvious.” He spoke of Dylan’s “sweet nothings and cruel jokes,” and his capacity for fusing “the languages of the streets and the Bible.” In the past, he reminded us, all poetry was song.

Has Dylan conferred great benefit to mankind? Listening to Smith sing his song—and watching as audience members, dressed in their finest, wiped their eyes, blindly reached for each other, seemed unable to exhale—the answer felt obvious. The answer was on their faces.

Công Hòa Viêt-Nam Muôn Nam!
vu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Bob Dylan's Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech Reply with quote

Bob Dylan was not in attendance at the 2016 Nobel Prize banquet in
Stockholm on Saturday, but the 2016 winner did send a surrogate to read
his speech.

Dylan is the recipient of the 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature, one of the
highest honors on the globe, though he has appeared to bit reluctant. A
statement released by Swedish Academy said that while the songwriter was
very honored indeed for the prize, due to a prior commitment he was not
able to travel to the event. That laureates decide not to come [to the
banquet] is unusual, to be sure, but not exceptional, the statement says.

Read his full speech here:

http://time.com/4597291/bob-dylan-nobel-prize-speech
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: