AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Racism in America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Le NewYorkais

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Kevin Costner takes on the issue of race in America Reply with quote

This is old, but still relevant.

Kevin Costner takes on the issue of race in America
CNN
Published on Jan 29, 2015
On the heels of his new film - "Black or White" - Don Lemon welcomes actor Kevin Costner for a frank discussion on race that comes amid heightened tensions in Ferguson, Missouri

https://youtu.be/rkA3epoo5Gs

UnMask

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Great Wedding Reply with quote

My nephew on my wife's side got married yesterday, and the marriage resulted in quite a blend of relatives....

My nephew (Irish-French-German) married a Liberian descent woman. But she was raised by a white Jewish family in New York who are descended from Danes....

Her Liberian dad came in from Africa, and that side of the family wore traditional Liberian dress. Really colorful and elegant.

Anyway, the family now has Guatamalan, Phillipino, Chinese, English, Irish, African and probably more blood lines.... DNA testing anyone?

We just don't have room for much racism....
dzu
Herald

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Racist Rhetoric In The Trump Era Reply with quote

Racist Rhetoric In The President Donald Trump Era
MSNBC
Published on Aug 9, 2018
The Weekly Standard’s Charlie Sykes, former federal prosecutor Paul Butler, AP’s Jonathan Lemire, and NYT’s Nick Confessore on calling out a Fox News host’s racist remarks about immigration

https://youtu.be/tM-ezd6fxjs

Angela

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: 10 Most Absurd Things Banned On PC College Campuses Reply with quote

I put this here because a lot of those banned things are on the basis of racism... Like correcting grammatical errors. It's often mostly African Americans who employ double negatives, for example - or "I brung" or "I should have went..." Once I asked a Black manual worker who in fact had had some good schooling why he went on making those mistakes when he knew better, he said "If I speak good English my friends will mock me and say "Jeff speaks like a white man." Peer pressure at its worst!

10 Most Absurd Things Banned On Politically Correct College Campuses -

https://listverse.com/2015/08/25/10-most-absurd-things-to-ban-on-politically-correct-college-campuses/
inkpot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Does Trump ‘Care About Black People’? Reply with quote

Jimmy Kimmel Leaves Kanye West Speechless: Does Trump ‘Care About Black People’?
In a long and fascinating new interview, there was only one question Kanye West could not answer.
Matt Wilstein

“I feel dragon energy in the air,” Jimmy Kimmel said during his monologue Thursday night. That’s because, after grilling Kim Kardashian West about her husband’s “love” for Donald Trump just last week, he had Yeezus himself in the building.

It was Kanye West’s first major television since he stormed the TMZ offices back in May to declare that slavery was a “choice” and defend his seemingly unconditional support for the president.

Kimmel took his time getting around to the Trump issue, but once he did, he went all in. Dipping his toe in the water, he asked West if he would design uniforms for the president’s new Space Force if he were asked. “I’m into designing,” West said. Asked if he was ever worried about his wife being alone in the Oval Office with Trump, he smiled and replied, “Well, he is a player.”

But then came the big question: “Do you think he is a good president?”

https://youtu.be/rzXpJcwqYIg

Kimmel barely had to say anything after that as West took off on one of his epic monologues, at times rambling and confused and at others possibly brilliant. Instead of answering the question directly West talked about the “two main motivating factors” in life: “love and fear.”

“You can’t explain love,” West said, telling Kimmel that even when someone does a “bad thing,” you can still “love” them. Echoing his friend Candace Owens, he added, “Everyone around me tried to pick my candidate for me. And then told me every time I said I liked Trump that I couldn’t say it out loud or my career would be over, I’d get kicked out of the black community because blacks are supposed to have a monolithic thought, we can only be Democrats.”

“It took me a year and a half to have the confidence to stand up and put on the hat, no matter what the consequences were.” West added, apparently referring to the red “MAGA” he posed in on Twitter. “And what it represented to me is nothing about policies, because I’m not a politician like that, but it represented overcoming fear and doing what you felt, no matter what anyone said, in saying, ‘You can’t bully me.’ Liberals can’t bully me, news can’t bully me, the hip-hop community, they can’t bully me. At that point, if I’m afraid to be me, I’m no longer Ye. That’s what makes Ye.”

Later, West briefly addressed his comments about slavery, saying, “I think people focus too much on the past and focus too much on regret.” On the “slave idea,” he said he’s “heard of history class” but has “never heard of a future class, so they keep us so focused on history that we start to believe that it actually repeats itself and we become overly traditional. And we can’t advance as a race of beings.”

“Sometimes you just have to be fearless enough to break the fucking simulation,” West continued. As he sensed the audience’s excitement, he paused and told them, “I know you guys wanted to clap, but everything I’m going to say is going to be amazing.”

After explaining what he means by “the simulation” to Kimmel, West said his hope is that “one by one by one we can defuse this nuclear bomb of hate that we’re in as a society by thinking of everyone as our family.”

“I think that’s a beautiful thought, but in literal terms there are families being torn apart at the border of this country,” the host said. “There are literally families being torn apart as a result of what this president is doing. And I think that we cannot forget that, whether we like his personality or not, his actions are really what matter.”

Bringing the conversation around to West’s 2005 comments about the 43rd president, Kimmel told him, “I mean, you so famously and so powerfully said, ‘George Bush doesn’t care about black people.’ It makes me wonder what makes you think that Donald Trump does, or any people at all?”

With arms crossed, West sat there for several seconds without saying a word. For once, he was completely speechless.

After a break, Kimmel ultimately decided to let West off the hook, never returning to that last question about Trump. But West’s inability to answer it spoke volumes.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jimmy-kimmel-leaves-kanye-west-speechless-does-trump-care-about-black-people?via=newsletter&source=DDMorning

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Marine Kicked Out for Role in Charlottesville Reply with quote

Marine Kicked Out of Marines for Role in White Supremacist March
David Pakman Show
Published on Aug 8, 2018
--A Marine is kicked out of the Marines for his role in the white supremacist march that took place in Charlottesville, Virginia

https://youtu.be/VVa9DSPSUeU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: The Omarosa Manigault Newman Story Reply with quote

Full Omarosa: 'I had a blind spot where it came to Donald Trump'
NBC News
Published on Aug 12, 2018
In an exclusive interview on Meet the Press, former Trump aide Omarosa Manigault Newman

https://youtu.be/mwKqm0euSBA

Listen to Omarosa being fired by John Kelly
CNN
Published on Aug 12, 2018
In an interview on NBC's "Meet the Press," former White House aide and "Apprentice" star Omarosa Manigault-Newman released a recording of her firing by White House Chief of Staff John Kelly.

https://youtu.be/tEsn-uNQ_Tc

We all have to make our own judgments but, IMO, this woman seriously lacks credibility. At the very least. Between her and April Ryan, I'd take April's word any day of the year.
Annamite_en_Amérique

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: The Lesson of Omarosa’s New Trump Book Reply with quote

The Lesson of Omarosa’s New Trump Book
In her forthcoming memoir, Omarosa Manigault frames her tenure in the White House as a period of gradual awakening to President Trump’s bigoted outlook.
By Jelani Cobb, August 10, 2018

A year ago this weekend, the city of Charlottesville became the backdrop to a violent American reckoning. Donald Trump’s declaration that there were “very fine people” on both sides of the conflict marked the first moment in his Presidency in which Republicans were forced to disagree, however tepidly, with him in public.

Cued almost perfectly to the anniversary come the first rumblings regarding Omarosa Manigault’s forthcoming memoir and her allegations that Trump is a racist who habitually tosses around anti-black epithets. The Guardian reported that Manigault, in her book, says that she looked into rumors that there were tapes of “Apprentice” outtakes that allegedly include Trump using the word “nigger” and that, although she never tracked them down, she became convinced that they existed. (The Washington Post reported that Manigault claims to have declined a contract proffered by Lara Trump for a fifteen-thousand-dollar monthly payment that Manigault believed amounted to hush money.) Manigault frames her tenure in the White House as a period of gradual awakening to Trump’s bigoted outlook. Even after leaving the Administration, she offered the nonsensical hedge that Trump is “racial” but not racist—a position that is roughly equivalent to being human but not Homo sapiens.

In response to press reports about Omarosa’s book, the White House mounted its typical immune response. Sarah Huckabee Sanders denounced her former colleague, saying, “Instead of telling the truth about all the good President Trump and his Administration are doing to make America safe and prosperous, this book is riddled with lies and false accusations. It’s sad that a disgruntled former White House employee is trying to profit off these false attacks, and even worse that the media would now give her a platform, after not taking her seriously when she had only positive things to say about the President during her time in the Administration.”

Manigault, who was a serial contestant on “The Apprentice,” had known Trump for years before he became President. Her realization about Trump’s outlook appears to have emerged at some point during her book deal. That’s not a gradual awakening, it’s a glacial, self-interested one. Despite abundant evidence, serial outrages, and Trump’s own words, the news media have tended to frame Trump’s racism as more of a question than a statement—a tendency that survived Charlottesville. There’s potential profit, or at the least publicity, in offering first-person confirmation that Trump is, indeed, what reasonable observers and the half of the American public already consider him to be: a racist. The temptation is to see the possibility of Trump uttering racial slurs on the “Apprentice” tapes as too little, too late, but for the likelihood that it would have been insufficient even if it had been delivered before his election. Trump’s hard-core supporters have proved to be morally malleable. They are unconcerned about a wide array of his character failings; there’s no reason to suspect that this one would have been different.

Trump’s personal history was a bramble of backward racial ideas long before the tiki torches were lit in Charlottesville last summer. His personal history yields an impressive greatest-hits collection that would include him beginning his Presidential campaign by conflating Mexicans with rapists and later stating that Judge Gonzalo Curiel should not preside over the Trump University fraud suit because of his Hispanic heritage. Trump asked a friend of Karen McDougal, the former Playmate with whom Trump had an extramarital affair, if she liked “big black dick.” There is also, of course, the matter of the Justice Department accusing the Trump family firm of discriminating against African-American renters in the seventies (Trump settled the suit without admitting guilt), his racist public assault on the Central Park Five, and his use of birtherism to propel himself into national politics. In a more recent spree, he questioned the intelligence of Representative Maxine Waters, LeBron James, and the CNN host Don Lemon—each of whom is black—and (again) assailed African-American football players.

The issue of whether Trump used the word in question is almost completely inconsequential, yet the fact that it does not matter is itself of great consequence. The elastic tolerance of the otherwise intolerable is the looming context in which Robert Mueller will deliver his expected reports on whether Trump obstructed justice as President or colluded with Russia in 2016. In matters of race, as well as competence, decency, character, and fitness, the public either already knows what it needs to know or intractably believes what it wishes to believe. Omarosa Manigault’s book is unlikely to change the balance of either.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-lesson-of-omarosas-new-trump-book

Công Hòa Viêt-Nam Muôn Nam!
Drifter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: White Nationalist Fox News Rant Reply with quote

Laura Ingraham Off the Rails in White Nationalist Fox News Rant
David Pakman Show
Published on Aug 13, 2018
--Fox News host Laura Ingraham goes completely off the rails in an unabashed white nationalist rant about legal and illegal immigrants forcing demographic change on the US which has supposedly destroyed the country

https://youtu.be/2VkSlAHrnsE

Stormy Night

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: More Racism, More Division to Distract... Reply with quote

Trump’s Twitter Distraction Amid Scandals
MSNBC
Published on Aug 10, 2018
The legal walls are closing in on Trump as Mueller brings in more people in the Trump World orbit. In a blatant attempt to pull focus from the investigation, the president tweeted an attack on NFL players. Ari Melber discusses Trump's actions with Mark Thompson, Jonathan Alter, and Baratunde Thurston.

https://youtu.be/FSjoNh17NDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Politix All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: