AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Stuck With Trump's Fork, Tillerson is Done
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UnMask

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Stuck With Trump's Fork, Tillerson is Done Reply with quote

Rex Tillerson is no longer the US Secretary of State...

Hmmmmn...

www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/03/13/secretary-state-rex-tillerson-ousted-favor-cia-chief-trump-announces/419363002/
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Class Reply with quote

Just saw that on the BBC news but can't help thinking that Tillerson is breathing a sigh of relief because I am now starting to think that Trump is making Austraila's own main village idiot Tony Abbott look slightly more intelligent than your Village Idiot ie Trump. At lease Abbott was a (rigged) Rhodes scholar but somehow managed to wangle (maybe by cheating) a Third Class Degree at Oxford but Trump could never have been admitted there even by cheating judging from some of those videos posted on this site. I have had first hand experience of Abbott's sleaziness from an unfortunate meeting with him but he almost comes across as halfway decent compared to Trump and that is saying something...

As an aside I am a little disappointed in the fact that quite a bit of the time when you people post videos and articles you don't also post your personal opinions and thoughts along with them as I know you must also be thinking other stuff when you come across them as I know I do... So come on add your opinion or at least say why you agree with the video or article you have posted as I for one would like to hear it.. Some posters do so please others try and do the same as I am sure as most others would love to hear why you might agree with with the videos and articles you post so we can discuss it with you all... Even a witty response would be welcome or even preferred? super grin
Do Quy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Personal opinions Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
As an aside I am a little disappointed in the fact that quite a bit of the time when you people post videos and articles you don't also post your personal opinions and thoughts along with them as I know you must also be thinking other stuff when you come across them as I know I do... So come on add your opinion or at least say why you agree with the video or article you have posted as I for one would like to hear it.. Some posters do so please others try and do the same as I am sure as most others would love to hear why you might agree with with the videos and articles you post so we can discuss it with you all... Even a witty response would be welcome or even preferred? super grin

I for one, and I think a number of others, usually post those articles and videos because the title and a quick skim made them sound interesting, and usually in line with what we're thinking. Especially videos from the cable news anchors and late night comics - sometimes we haven't even read the whole article (I kinda doubt that Vu, for example, has read ALL of the looooong articles she posts) or watched the whole video (some of which are quite long). We post them mostly for the information of the others, maybe start a discussion, and then we do pitch in. Sometimes we inadvertently post the same video twice, which earns us your wrath, Inkling. We don't do it on purpose.

Generally, though, we post things that we agree with. It takes time enough to browse for them, copy and paste them, without taking even more time posting a personal opinion or explanation. Sometimes we do post a brief comment, but most of the time we let the article or video speak for itself.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but it didn't seem worth while to start a new thread on this. Though maybe I should have... (If Inkling had started a thread with her question, that would have been different...) shameless grin
Do Quy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Trump tells media why he fired Rex Tillerson Reply with quote

As an example of what I posted just now. I happened to see this video online - it was the first one that came up when I refreshed my YouTube page. We are discussing this right now, so I'm posting it. I haven't watched it yet, as I have to go and get lunch. But I may come back, especially if one or more of you comment on it, to add my grain of salt. super grin

Trump tells media why he fired Rex Tillerson
CNN
Published on Mar 13, 2018
President Trump, despite firing Tillerson, said he "actually got along well with" his former secretary of state, but felt that they had "a different mindset" and "a different thinking.” Trump added that he felt Tillerson would be happier out of Washington.

https://youtu.be/-_M2R64pgJQ

Antep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Tillerson ‘Did Not Talk’ to Trump Before Firing Reply with quote

Tillerson learned of his firing by reading Trump's tweet. Nice.

Tillerson ‘Did Not Talk’ to Trump Before Firing
Had “every intention of staying.”

Rex Tillerson did not talk to Donald Trump before he was fired Tuesday and apparently found out from the president’s tweet about it this morning, according to the State Department. A report from The Washington Post—which broke the news of Tillerson’s firing—claimed Trump asked the outgoing secretary of State to step aside last Friday, days before his strongly critical comments against Russia on Monday. However, a statement from Undersecretary of State Steve Goldstein, tweeted by ABC News’ Conor Finnegan, said: “The Secretary had every intention of staying because of the critical progress made in national security. He will miss his colleagues at the Department of State and the foreign ministers he has worked with throughout the world. The Secretary did not speak to the President and is unaware of the reason, but he is grateful for the opportunity to serve, and still believes strongly that public service is a noble calling. We wish Secretary Designate Pompeo well.” ABC later reported that Goldstein, who issued the statement contradicting the official account of Tillerson's firing, was himself fired by the White House.

Quote:
ABC News
@ABC
LATEST: White House fires Under Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs Steven Goldstein, the fourth highest ranking official at the State Dept.
12:28 PM - Mar 13, 2018

https://www.thedailybeast.com/report-tillerson-did-not-talk-to-trump-before-firing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Well, nice try... Didn't work, though! Reply with quote

Rex Tillerson Thought He Was 'Moderating' President Donald Trump
TODAY
Secretary of state Rex Tillerson fired and his rocky relationship with President Trump, particularly after Trump undermined Tillerson during a trip to Asia to meet with world leaders.

https://youtu.be/DI66w1MxB2Q

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Rex Tillerson speaks after being fired by Trump Reply with quote

Rex Tillerson speaks after being fired by Trump
CBC News
Streamed live 41 minutes ago
Rex Tillerson, the ousted U.S. secretary of state, is holding news conference in Washington after being fired by U.S. President Donald Trump.

https://youtu.be/jJ7VVMQ9bus

Xuân Phong

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Fired by tweet and spite Reply with quote

Antep wrote:
Tillerson learned of his firing by reading Trump's tweet. Nice.

Yes, and Comey learned he was fired from watching television. Real courteous and classy. Trump really is a total lout, isn't he? He leaves his wife to fend for herself when he gets to the White House on Inauguration Day, he leaves her and his son in the rain while hogging his umbrella, he cowardly doesn't face the people he's firing... one

Quote:
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was fired this morning, right after speaking out about Russia.

I guess Trump is also getting back at him for the "f*cking moron" comment. bleh

* TILLERSON IS OUT: Trump has ousted Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and is replacing him with CIA Director Mike Pompeo:
    The president — who has long clashed will Tillerson, who he believes is “too establishment” in his thinking — felt it was important to make the change now, as he prepares for talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, as well as upcoming trade negotiations, three White House officials said.

But as many pointed out on Twitter, Tillerson was also the only major Trump administration figure to directly call out Russia over the poisoning of an ex-spy.

* TILLERSON DOESN’T KNOW WHY HE WAS FIRED: The State Department put out a statement that makes this remarkable claim:
    The Secretary did not speak to the president and he is unaware of the reason.

So Trump fired Tillerson without giving him a heads-up or telling him why. One suspects that this isn’t the last we’ll be hearing from him.
NP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: 'Be careful what you wish for' Reply with quote

https://www.yahoo.com/news/climate-hawks-firing-tillerson-case-careful-wish-180040243.html

For climate hawks, firing Tillerson is a case of 'be careful what you wish for'
Michael Walsh, Reporter, Yahoo News•March 13, 2018

President Trump’s dismissal of Secretary of State Rex Tillerson Tuesday morning fulfilled a long-held wish for climate advocates, but they fear his replacement, CIA Director Mike Pompeo, will be even worse.

Tillerson joined Exxon in 1975 and rose through the ranks over the decades. He was CEO and chairman of ExxonMobil from 2006 until he joined the Trump administration in 2017. That Trump would nominate a lifelong oilman to succeed John Kerry, who led the U.S. through the Paris climate negotiations of late 2015, as the nation’s top diplomat resulted in predictable and fierce pushback.

During his confirmation hearing in January 2017, however, Tillerson told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that he thought the United States should stay in the Paris Agreement, which strives to reduce global warming to 2°C (3.6°F). He also suggested that a carbon tax may be the best way to limit the greenhouse-gas emissions driving global warming.

Pompeo, on the other hand, identified with the tea party and represented Kansas’s Fourth Congressional District from 2011 to 2017. He received more financial backing from Koch Industries, an energy and natural resources conglomerate, than any other candidate in the 2010 elections: $80,000.

In fact, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, a bipartisan research group that tracks the effect of lobbying on elections and policy, Pompeo has received more money from Koch interests than any other House member. In just four election cycles (2010, 2012, 2014, 2016), he received the following: $335,000 from Koch Industries employees, which includes $92,000 from the Koch family; $69,000 from the Koch Industries PAC; $417,175 from Americans for Prosperity, an advocacy group funded by the Kochs; and $87,532 from other organizations with substantial funding by the Koch brothers.

And Pompeo turned to the Koch brothers, who actively oppose climate change legislation, for money long before running for office. In the late ‘90s, Koch Industries invested in an aerospace company Pompeo founded with fellow West Point alumni. He sold his interest in Thayer Aerospace in 2006 and became president of Sentry International, which produces and sells oil field equipment.

In short, even though environmentalists adamantly opposed Tillerson, they do not expect anything positive for the climate from Pompeo.

Jake Schmidt, the international program director at the Natural Resources Defense Council, released the following statement: “Replacing the man from Big Oil with a first-class climate denier simply goes from bad to worse. This shuffling of the deck chairs will ensure that Washington continues to bring up the rear when it comes to international action to combat dangerous climate change.”

Tiernan Sittenfeld, senior vice president of government affairs for the League of Conservation Voters, said in a statement that Pompeo’s nomination is profoundly disturbing but not unexpected.

“Though not surprising, this is extremely troubling. Climate change is one of the most critical threats facing our nation and world, and the secretary of state has a huge responsibility to make sure it is addressed by the global community,” she said. “With a history of questioning the science of climate change, a close relationship with the polluter Koch brothers and lifetime LCV score of 4%, Mike Pompeo has no business becoming the next secretary of state.”

Naomi Ages, the climate director of Greenpeace USA, was similarly perturbed.

“Donald Trump has now somehow picked someone even worse than Rex Tillerson to run the State Department. Greenpeace has been opposed to Tillerson as secretary of state from the moment he was nominated, and we continue to believe that the U.S. government cannot and should not be run by fossil-fuel industry flunkies,” Ages said in a statement. “Mike Pompeo, though, is uniquely unqualified to be secretary of state in an entirely different way than Rex Tillerson was. In addition to being a climate denier, like his predecessor, Pompeo is Koch brothers’ shill who will denigrate the United States’ reputation abroad and make us vulnerable to threats at home.”

Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Calif., also took issue with Pompeo’s past statements on climate change.
Quote:
@RepBarbaraLee
Tillerson was ineffective at State but Pompeo could be even worse. I served with him in the House – he denies the reality of climate change, opposes the Iran Deal & supports regime change in #NorthKorea. We need an experienced diplomat at State, not a rubber stamp for Pres Trump. https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/973543597646721025
9:58 AM - Mar 13, 2018

On the other hand,
Quote:
His replacement, CIA Director Mike Pompeo, will be even worse.

Besides which, Pompeo has no experience in international relations or diplomacy whatsoever. So typical of Trump, to appoint the least experienced in the required field possible. Rolling Eyes Just as a good businessman (not that Trump is that) doesn't necessarily make a good political leader, a good spymaster doesn't necessarily make a good diplomat. Pale sigh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Trump Fires Rex Tillerson: Late Night Comics' View Reply with quote

Trump Fires Rex Tillerson: Couple Things
Late Night with Seth Meyers

https://youtu.be/1Lsc3PB2Jl0

Rex Tillerson Got Fired Via Twitter
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
For the first time in American history, a President relieved a Secretary of State of services in 280 characters or less.

https://youtu.be/sU7HzBOCKbI

Trump Cans Rex Tillerson Over Twitter
The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
Three more people are fired from the Trump administration, including Secretary of State and human Grumpy Cat, Rex Tillerson.

https://youtu.be/Bx0mGCZvIX4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Politix All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: