AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Who's Driving Climate Denial?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annamite_en_Amérique

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: The Paris Accord - Who's Driving Climate Denial? Reply with quote

EcoWatch
Big companies and conservative media

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/2282357f-4db1-35ca-810e-0dacd0d2ca65/ss_who%26%2339%3Bs-driving-climate.html

A new study from professors at Oklahoma State University has found that Republicans and Democrats have never been so far apart on climate issues. Fox News' Megyn Kelly interviews The Weather Channel co-founder John ColemanMedia Matters for America "What was once a modest tendency for Congressional Republicans to be less pro-environmental than their Democratic counterparts has become a chasm—with Republicans taking near-unanimous anti-environmental stances on relevant legislation in recent years, especially 2015," the study said. This distance between the parties was further exacerbated by the rise of the Koch-funded Tea Party, which took the hard line of fully dismissing the climate change threat, ...

Read more: http://www.ecowatch.com/companies-drive-climate-denial-1998224867.html

Công Hòa Viêt-Nam Muôn Nam!
Angelina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's Driving Climate Denial? Reply with quote

Annamite_en_Amérique wrote:
EcoWatch
Big companies and conservative media

No wonder UnMask and Laurelluin believe it is a hoax... bleh

Some people still believe the Earth is flat, too. super grin
Lyta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's Driving Climate Denial? Reply with quote

Angelina wrote:
Some people still believe the Earth is flat, too. super grin

And that God created the world in six days. shameless grin

Also that the theory of evolution is b.s.
UnMask

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: And whose driving global warming.... Reply with quote

Initially there was global cooling....

Well, that changed.... We then went to global warming....

So given the change, and the further shift to "climate change", the real fundamental question should be.... Who started this discussion? How much money is being spent to keep the climate changers funded? Are government agencies growing in power because of this theory?

If the climate changers are correct, why are they attacking the "deniers"? After all, if the deniers are so crazy, can't they be ignored?

All the threats, insults, and demeaning behavior are unnecessary if global warming/climate change theories are correct.

Of course, if the theories are crap, they have to attack their opponents to keep the scam going.... Smile
Wildflower

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Climate change Reply with quote

Oh please... There goes the Conservatives' paranoia again... Who's been attacking the "deniers"? They're just being made fun of.

It's in the US that it went from "global warming" to "climate change". The UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has borne that name since the beginning (1988 to be specific.)

Quote:
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is a scientific and intergovernmental body under the auspices of the United Nations, set up at the request of member governments, dedicated to the task of providing the world with an objective, scientific view of climate change and its political and economic impacts. It was first established in 1988 by two United Nations organizations, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), and later endorsed by the United Nations General Assembly through Resolution 43/53. Membership of the IPCC is open to all members of the WMO and UNEP. The IPCC produces reports that support the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), which is the main international treaty on climate change. The ultimate objective of the UNFCCC is to "stabilize greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere at a level that would prevent dangerous anthropogenic [i.e., human-induced] interference with the climate system". IPCC reports cover "the scientific, technical and socio-economic information relevant to understanding the scientific basis of risk of human-induced climate change, its potential impacts and options for adaptation and mitigation."

Anyway your argument is irrelevant. Call that a scam if you like - the ice caps are still melting, the sea level is still rising, desertification continues.

Who would a scam on that benefit? I really don't understand you. Sometimes I wonder if Inklings's not right when she questions your brains. Though I don't believe that, like she says, it resides below your belt, I do doubt sometimes that you use it before getting all hot and bothered - and totally off-track. *Sigh*
Drifter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: And whose driving global warming.... Reply with quote

UnMask wrote:
All the threats, insults, and demeaning behavior are unnecessary if global warming/climate change theories are correct.

Of course, if the theories are crap, they have to attack their opponents to keep the scam going.... Smile

This is the silliest, most irrational argument ever. Rolling Eyes

First, I wasn't even aware that there were threats, insults, etc. Paranoia, persecution complex, anyone?

Second, as Wildflower says, the degradation of the environment continues whether we humans argue about it, insult each other about it or not. And whether you believe in it or not. Calling it a "scam" isn't going to stop the ecological process.
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:11 am    Post subject: Scientific evidence Reply with quote

Here we go - unless you are like our new but incredibly stupid Senator Malcolm Roberts who believes it is all a NASA (and all other Scientific bodies) conspiracy despite being shown the graphs by Professor Brian Cox.... Thankfully only a couple of you are?

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/ super grin
Wildflower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Scientific evidence Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that link, Inkling, it's a very good summary of the scientific evidence. ten

Now we'll have to see if UnMask will look at it since it proves him wrong. I've known him to obstinately refuse to even look at incontrovertible evidence of something he just didn't want to admit. An ostrich has nothing on him as far as denial is concerned. bleh

Music How many times can a man turn his head
And pretend that he just doesn't see? Music
UnMask

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: The question is.... Reply with quote

Don't the employees (used broadly) of the IPCC, WMO, UNEP, UNFCC and a whole bunch of organizations outside the UN at least partially depend on Global Warming fears to keep the money flowing to them?

And if they are right about Global Warming, why get upset over those who challenge the theories? They would be harmless in the long run just because they are wrong....

Are more financial levies and taxes involved? More control of industries (like coal mining)... There's a few potential sources for revenue...

The Global Warming business is a business... Maximizing revenue for those who work in the field...... I long ago learned not to trust businesses.....
Wildflower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The question is.... Reply with quote

UnMask wrote:
Don't the employees (used broadly) of the IPCC, WMO, UNEP, UNFCC and a whole bunch of organizations outside the UN at least partially depend on Global Warming fears to keep the money flowing to them?

I don't know about the policy-making and fund-raising level, but as a translator, I certainly wasn't paid more when I translated an IPCC text than when I worked on a Security Council speech.

What's this about "depending on fears"? The IPCC et al. are trying to raise awareness of the very real danger that climate change poses, make people take precautions, save lives, livelihoods, properties.

Quote:
And if they are right about Global Warming, why get upset over those who challenge the theories? They would be harmless in the long run just because they are wrong....

Who's getting upset? We're just trying to make them see the obvious instead of accusing us of running a scam.

But the real point is, are you dismissing the NASA and IPCC reports? You can't accuse them of being "political". Have you looked at alll the concrete data they published? At the figures? Can you look at them and still think that it's all a hoax or a scam?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Politix All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: