AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Anti-terrorism paranoia
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doan_Du
Herald

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Anti-terrorism paranoia Reply with quote

From the photo, does this woman look like a Fundamentalist Muslim to you? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
'Where terrorism is concerned, they keep a sense of proportion' - Faizah Shaheen

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/08/05/british-muslim-woman-detained-after-flight-attendant-reports-her-for-suspicious-behavior-she-was-reading-a-book/

British Muslim woman detained after flight attendant reports her for ‘suspicious behavior.’ She was reading a book.
By Elise Schmelzer

Faizah Shaheen was returning to England from her Turkish honeymoon last week when airport security pulled her out of the line of people waiting to get their passport checked at Doncaster Sheffield Airport in South Yorkshire.

For 15 minutes they questioned the British psychotherapist, who is employed by Britain’s National Health Service, using their powers under the country’s 2000 Terrorism Act, the Guardian reported Thursday. The officers said a Thomson Airways attendant on a previous flight had reported her for “suspicious behavior.”

Her crime? Reading a book about Syria.

“I asked what was going on and they said I had been reported due to a book I was reading and was to be questioned under the Terrorism Act,” Shaheen told the Independent.

She told the paper that she felt targeted for being Muslim.

Shaheen works with teens with mental illness. Part of her job, she said, is to prevent the teens from becoming radicalized.

“I said that to the police,” she said. “I’m actually part of trying to fight radicalization and breaking the stereotypes.”

The book, “Syria Speaks: Art and Culture from the Frontline,” is a collection of work from more than 50 Syrian artists and writers “who are challenging the culture of violence in Syria.”

Thomson Airways told the Independent that it recognizes that “in this instance Ms. Shaheen may have felt that overcaution had been exercised. However, like all airlines, our crew are trained to report and concerns they may have as a precaution.”

Shaheen intends to make a formal complaint against the airline as well as the law enforcement officers who detained her and reduced her to tears, according to the Independent.

“I was completely innocent. I was made to feel like a culprit,” Shaheen said.

Racial profiling of Muslim fliers has become a familiar pattern, Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, told The Post in November. Familiar enough that Muslim people have begun documenting their experiences with religious discrimination on planes using the hashtag #FlyingWhileMuslim.

At least four other people have publicly said airlines discriminated against them because of their race or religion this year.

“The argument is better safe than sorry but, yeah, that only works if you’re not the one being targeted,” Hooper said.
Du Khach
Herald

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Muslim couple removed from Delta flight Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/08/05/muslim-couple-removed-delta-flight-humiliating/88306878/

Muslim couple removed from Delta flight: 'It was humiliating'

CINCINNATI, Ohio — Nazia Ali had removed her sneakers, finished sending a text message to her parents and was putting on headphones and settling into her seat for the nine-hour flight from Paris to Cincinnati when a Delta Air Lines crew member approached her and her husband, Faisal. They were excited to come home July 26 to see their three young sons following a 10th-anniversary trip to London and Paris, "the city of romance and love," he said. What happened next would overshadow the good times they'd enjoyed: A flight crew member had complained to the pilot that she was uncomfortable with the Muslim couple in the second row of economy class. The woman was wearing a head scarf and using a phone, and the man was sweating, she allegedly told the pilot.

The pilot contacted the ground crew. He would not take off until couple was removed.

"We had been in our seats for 45 minutes," Nazia Ali, 34, said Thursday from the Cincinnati area office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR). "The ground agent said, `Can you step out with me? We'd like to ask you a few questions.' So I said, `Do you want us to get our things?' And he said, `Yes, please grab all of your personal belongings. You're not going to be on this flight.' "

In the wake of the couple's removal from the flight, the Muslim advocacy group filed a religious profiling complaint against Delta Air Lines to the U.S. Department of Transportation.

In a letter to be submitted to the department's Aviation Consumer Protection Division, the CAIR-Cincinnati alleges that two Muslim passengers were singled out for removal from a Delta flight from Paris after a flight attendant said she was not comfortable with them being on the plane.

The flight's destination was the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport. It's not clear where the flight crew was based.

Shortly thereafter, Delta Air Lines released a statement: "Delta condemns discrimination toward our customers in regards to age, race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation or gender. As a global airline that brings hundreds of thousands of people together every day, Delta is deeply committed to treating all of our customers with respect. Delta continues its investigation into this matter and will issue a full refund of these customers’ airfare."

The flight attendant claimed that Faisal Ali tried to hide his cell phone and that she had heard the couple use the word "Allah." Allah is the Arabic word for God.

In CAIR’s letter to federal transportation officials, attorney Hassan wrote that Delta discriminated against the couple in violation of federal law. The organization wants the Department of Transportation to create guidelines for U.S.-based airlines on the removal of passengers for safety.

[...]

It must have been so humiliating. I would hate anything like that to happen to me. dead
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: US Muslims billboard condemning ISIS in Chicago Reply with quote

Here is a bit of news to help allay your fears about Muslims in the US and how they don't seem to be protesting about ISIS.

http://www.upworthy.com/american-muslims-bought-this-billboard-to-send-a-loud-message-to-isis?g=2&c=upw1
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Why no response? Reply with quote

Well seeing my last post about Muslims putting up a billboard denouncing ISIS which a lot of you said they weren't doing enough of despite reports of their protests not being reported by the the mainstream media as they should have been....seems to have gone unremarked by all of you Then here is another link posted by some Deomcrat supporters on FB which just may end up with these two Muslim men who actually represent a lot of people in the Middle East it seem giving up their lives by the radicals who can't stand a reasonable result to all of this...The Video...

http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/0/0/0/0/0/0/5597.htm

But for those who don't want to watch it here is the English Transcription.....

http://www.memritv.org/clip_transcript/en/5597.htm

I am waiting to see who will actually read my posts or will there be deafening silence as there has been with a few other issues....

Come on people I know you are better than this and Wildflower's friends fall in to these categories I would imagine - especially the first one re the billboard. But you have to give these blokes credit for saying that religion is a private matter and that secular things should come first. Also that the way the Koran is being used etc etc - Listen and then pick the two libertarians arguments to pieces if you must.. But please come in and comment....

Yes I am a bleeding heart leftie but really I am a person trying to see all sides and playing Devil's Advocate with all information I see.... super grin
Wildflower

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: We saw it, dear Reply with quote

I saw the billboard, I'm sure we all did. It spoke for itself and didn't need a response. We also all knew there are moderate Muslims, even are friends with them. I'll bet you I have more Muslim friends than you do. I keep saying so and you keep ignoring it, ignoring the fears of my Muslim friends in France for example. But I suppose my being a "heartless racist" (your words) makes it easy to dismiss my friends.

As to "deafening silence".... Pot, kettle, black, dear. When there's something you don't like in here, you stay away for days or weeks. And when you come back, you stay away from that particular topic. So please don't be so self-righteous about it.

In this case, in fact, it's not that we disagree. We find it very good, you posted it, we are glad you did, but it needed no further comment.

That there are Muslims who are against the extremists, are terrified of them, is nothing new. That there are some speaking out against the extremists, good. If only there were more of those, maybe the terrorists would get the message. I've post several times about moderate Muslims, including the experience of my Algerian friend who lives in France and fears for her children and for herself. You've been remarkably silent (deafeningly so) on her... So, not only pot, kettle, black, but glass houses, stones. Rolling Eyes

ETA - Considering the number of "Views" of this post (45 at last count) I would say most active members have seen your posts, Inkling. Whether they comment or not is their choice. Don't work yourself into a lather because they don't. Once again, this is a free speech forum. Or Free to stay silent if one so chooses.
Anémone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: We saw it, dear Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
I saw the billboard, I'm sure we all did. It spoke for itself and didn't need a response.

Nobody actually responded to Doan Du's opening post either, or to Du Khach's post following DD's, but I don't see them throwing a tantrum about it or complaining about "a deafening silence". Rolling Eyes

We don't all respond to each and every post, we take note of the information in it, and that's it.

You yourself don't respond to posts when you don't feel it needs a response, or because you don't want to respond (maybe because you're embarrassed, or can't counter an argument?) , but we all have to jump every time you post something? A bit self-centered and paranoid, aren't we, Inkling?

inkling7 wrote:
Yes I am a bleeding heart leftie but really I am a person trying to see all sides and playing Devil's Advocate with all information I see.... super grin

You're far from the only poster who posts information from all sides and playing Devil's advocate. Maybe you just gloss over posts that you don't like, or don't even see them? Or those that contradict the preconceived ideas that you have? Wildflower, and even Angelina, have posted positive posts about moderate Muslims. Wildflower has tried numerous times to call attention to the plight of those moderate Muslims in face of the Islamist invasion. All she got for her pains was to be called a heartless racist. So it really doesn't behoove you to play holier-than-thou, misunderstood martyr.

From what I see of your posts, you definitely do NOT see all sides. You're totally blind and deaf to facts and arguments that don't go your way. Then you resort to insulting people when you don't like their stands. That's hardly objective and fair-minded, is it now?

As far as deafening silences are concerned, I think that the record actually belongs to you. super grin
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Pot, Kettle, ... Reply with quote

As I had no way of knowing if anyone looked at the posts I assumed nobody had but I'm glad you all did and now i know that they were looked at I don't mind if nobody felt the need to comment as they felt they the post spoke for themselves. I don't comment on posts that I feel I know-nothing much about and being the only poster from the Southern Hemisphere I don't get to see all the stuff you do so say nothing much if I feel I'm not sure. I am kept abreast of a lot of things though from Facebook friends in the US but sometimes what they think is quite different from you and then this conflict if I mention it causes trouble. I'm glad they don't come in and post here otherwise we might have a real war zone...LOL

Having said that because I am not living in the US I can only know what friends tell me. The same with France or Europe - I don't know what it is really like live there but having lots of friends and relatives who live in the UK I have a fair idea of life there.

None of you know what it is like here so really you are as bad as me when you make the comments about Australia so pot kettle black there too.. It seems we are all guilty of assuming many things doesn't it.... super grin
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Checking a thread's popularity Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
As I had no way of knowing if anyone looked at the posts I assumed nobody had

Of course you have. Look at the number of "Views" the thread has had.

When you're on any Forum page, on the right you have columns for "Replies", "Author", "Views", "Last Post" (which gives you the last poster's name, and the date s/he posted).

For example, if you look at "Disclaimer" (the very first threads on the L'Avenue and Politix pages), you'll see that there's Zero responses (those threads are locked Announcements, not open to discussion), but there are currently 13,544 views on the L'Avenue page, and 345 views on the Politix page.

The posts in the Minstrels' Gallery subforum usually don't have many Replies but lots of views. People come in and read UnMask's songs, they don't always comment. I don't see UnMask complaining about nobody looking at his songs and lashing out at us about it either.

This page has 7 replies and 60 views to date. Which means that at least 50 people besides the posters have looked at the page. Which is about the number of currently active members. More, actually, because some members looked in several times.

So, don't assume, look before complaining about "deafening silences". Rolling Eyes
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Posts and replies Reply with quote

Oh but don't all the replies cover all posts? I should check and see how many come in after each post then...
vu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: No responses Reply with quote

I looked up the threads on the first page of this subforum and noticed that Dzu's post abput kidnappings in Afghanistan only has 5 views and NO response (both posts are his). Yet I don't see Dzu complaining about nobody caring about Americans and Australians being kidnapped, or ignoring him about it. Frankly, Inkling, much ado about nothing!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: