AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Who is this Philippa Gregory?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Who is this Philippa Gregory? Reply with quote

A Romance novelist or another Anya Seton? Or worse still another romantic fictional novelist a la Barbara Cartland?
TT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Philippa Gregory Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Or worse still another romantic fictional novelist a la Barbara Cartland?

Absolutely not.

She's the author of all those books on the Tudor area. Historical "fiction", based on real history. Her best-known work is "The Other Boleyn Girl".

Her books are very good reads. Well written, well researched, very entertaining.
Lyanna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Philippa Gregory Reply with quote

I enjoy her books. The only thing I have against her is that she believes that Richard III did kill the Princes in the Tower. one

That's the reasonI didn't read those of her books where Richard appears (like "The Cousins' War" series).

But I liked the series on the Boleyn sisters.
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Philippa Gregory and Richard III Reply with quote

So she's not too dissimilar to Anya Seton whose books I like.

It's a shame she thinks that way about poor maligned Richard III because I think he didn't do horrible things but was trying to do good things until those dastardly Tudors came along and ruined everything....
DarkWind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Philippa Gregory and Richard III Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
It's a shame she thinks that way about poor maligned Richard III because I think he didn't do horrible things but was trying to do good things until those dastardly Tudors came along and ruined everything....

Yes, Richard was supposed to have been one of the most liberal kings - if not the most liberal king - of his time, but his memory was besmirched by those "dastardly Tudors", who were just the opposite of "liberal" and "tolerant", or "forgiving".

Oops, off-topic. Ah, never mind. super grin
Mr. Write

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Philippa Gregory & Richard III Reply with quote

Lyanna wrote:
I enjoy her books. The only thing I have against her is that she believes that Richard III did kill the Princes in the Tower. one

Actually, she doesn't. She thinks Richard is a usurper, but she believes that Perkin Warbeck really was Richard of York, the younger of the Princes in the Tower. So Richard III didn't kill him. She also thinks it possible that Edward V was behind the Simnell rebellion, so Richard III didn't kill the older of the princes either.

It's a pity no King of England wants to be called Richard nowadays. Not only because Richard III is so much maligned, but also because Richard of York/Perkin Warbeck signed his proclamations and calls to uprising against Henry VII "Richard IV" - So if there were a Richard now, would he be Richard IV or Richard V?
LadyOnTheMoon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Philippa Gregory & Richard III Reply with quote

Mr. Write wrote:
She thinks Richard is a usurper, but she believes that Perkin Warbeck really was Richard of York, the younger of the Princes in the Tower. So Richard III didn't kill him.

In "The White Queen", she theorizes that when Elizabeth Woodville released young Richard (who was in sanctuary with her) to his uncle, she actually gave Richard III a page boy who looked like young Richard, whom she spirited out and sent to Burgundy in the care of his aunt Margaret, Duchess of Burgundy and sister to Edward IV and Richard III.

That theory doesn't hold water at all. Even if she did find a page boy looking like the little prince, bundled him up pretending he had a cold, that couldn't have fooled anybody, or not for very long. Richard III would have known immediately that it wasn't his nephew - he'd been around at his brother's court, and saw his brother's children often, one would think. Not only him, but all the attendants, not to mention the elder prince, the kid's brother. She'd never have gotten away with it.

I believe that it was Richard III himself who sent the two princes out of harm's way.
Ôm một mối mơ Music
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: The Princes in the Tower Reply with quote

I agree with you LadyOnTheMoon I also think he got them away as he didn't trust the Tudors not to do them in to gain the crown. He probably sent them away to ordinary people in other countries so it would be hard to find them and changed their names - hence Perkin etc etc
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Princes in the Tower, Philippa Gregory Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
I agree with you LadyOnTheMoon I also think he got them away as he didn't trust the Tudors not to do them in to gain the crown. He probably sent them away to ordinary people in other countries so it would be hard to find them and changed their names - hence Perkin etc etc

I think the princes were moved before Henry Tudor really became a threat (Richard didn't take him very seriously, Henry had no military experience at all, and the flimsiest claim to the throne - he only won through treachery and treason from some of Richard's "allies", whom he made the mistake of trusting). At any rate, it seems there had been an attempt to kidnap them from the Tower, so Richard first tightened security, then moved them away - possibly to Flanders, in "regular folks" home, but under the supervision of his sister Margaret, Dowager Duchess of Burgundy.

After reading about half a dozen of her books, I find out I don't at all like Philippa Gregory, though her books are an easy, entertaining read. But she takes too many flights of imagination (I laugh when I see her disclaimer that "any ressemblance of the characters in this book to anyone real is pure coincidence", while all the characters bear the names of real historical people, and events follow closely what really happened in real life over 600 years ago...). I don't like her take on some of the characters, her twisting of events. I am amused, though, by her introduction of sorcery in the mix... How it were Elizabeth Woodville and her mother Jacquetta who conjured up the wind that kept enemy ships from sailing, or the mist that helped Edward and Richard win the battles of Barnet and Tewkesbury, LOL!!

The fact that she's a best-selling author and has tv shows based on her books cuts no mustard with me at all. In fact, after reading her books, I'm glad I didn't watch the show. shifty
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Philippa Gregory Reply with quote

I have never read any of her books either and haven't watched any show it seems so which show are you talking about?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: