AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Video on Autism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Music and Poetry House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Autism Reply with quote

I wasn't picking on the song or the video merely stating that autistic adults have parents who probably feel the same way as a mother would for a young autistic child...I don't think the words or video pics need to be changed at all as a parent is still a parent no matter what age their children are and the song could be interpreted to cover them. I feel it is harder to discover your young child is autistic and may never respond so the children pictures are more appropriate here because the parents had expectations of a loving responsive child and have to learn to live with the fact they may never have one in this child. I think that is harder to cope with emotionally especially when you first find out your child is autistic. It will never be easy but as time goes by and the child becomes an adult I suppose you get used the fact they they will always be like that.... I hope so anyway...
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: I didn't ask anyone to make any changes for me Reply with quote

Laure wrote:
Quote:
Only four words in that song would need to be changed for it to be relevant to someone who loved an autistic adult and was struggling to understand him or her.

Wildflower replied:
Quote:
Yes, but UnMask wrote this song specifically for a friend of his who has a young autistic son, as I've said before. It's a bit late to modify the song now. Sorry about that, Laure!

Angelina said:
Quote:
UnMask wrote the song for a mother with a young child. You can't ask him to rewrite the song now. Or Wildflower to redo the video. All these suggestions after the fact are not very helpful. Why picking at the song now after having praised it? It's not very nice to UnMask and Wildflower.

LadyOnTheMoon added:
Quote:
I agree with Angelina. It's a beautiful song - heart-rending, as Laurelluin put it - and a touching video. Why not just leave it at that? Or if you must ask Unmask if he can write another song for autistic adults. Picking on the song now is unfair.

And inkling defended:
Quote:
I wasn't picking on the song or the video merely stating that autistic adults have parents who probably feel the same way as a mother would for a young autistic child...I don't think the words or video pics need to be changed at all as a parent is still a parent no matter what age their children are and the song could be interpreted to cover them.

Laure says:
I in no wise meant to say the song should be modified; I am not trying to nit-pick it.
I am only saying that I can relate to this song in part because modifying only four words would make it applicable to my own relationships--the ones that struggle due to my Asperger’s Syndrome. Far be it from me to demand a talented artist should scrap their brilliant work and tweak it to fit me better!
I hope UnMask, the songwriter, is not offended. I don’t mean it should be rewritten. I only intend to raise awareness for neurodiversity.
Autism comes in male and female, child and adult, and in every skin color and culture on the globe. I get that this was an individual parent’s heartsong regarding an individual child. I do not ask that anyone change it. I just want to share my insight, being a high-functioning individual on the Autism Spectrum. If you’ve met one Autistic Person, you’ve met one Autistic person. We are all different.
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
UnMask

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Criticism... So? Reply with quote

I don't mind all the comments about the song.... Hey, you all listened to it !!! How cool is that?

Well, I don't know if I will do another song on the topic. I checked my old computer and I wrote that poem (later song) in 2007! I'm glad I dug it out of the archives....

Very Happy

[Admin's Note: The rest of this post, relating to Alzheimer, has been moved to its own new thread. You'll find it here:
http://www.avenueviet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4450

Inkling's comment has been copied to the new thread, under Wildflower's name but credited to Inkling. Her post here has been deleted (sorry, Julie!) because it doesn't belong with "Autism". You'll find it where it belongs, under Alzheimer.]

Wildflower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Pearls to swine Reply with quote

Can you believe that the woman who heads the Autism Society (whatever it's called, I'm not sure of the right name) didn't like UnMask's song and refuses to use it?

UnMask even offered to put it up for free on the Autism site (just showing it around he already got $20,000 in donations) - whlle Julia Benzinger, the singer, gets $8,000 a night when she performs on stage - and that stupid woman said that the site was already too full? Really!!! Pearls to swine!!! Very Mad

It must be the only person who didn't like that song...
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Autism sites Reply with quote

Is there an international autism site that might like it or another autism site in the U.S.? Worth looking into...
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Laurelluin's response Reply with quote

I can't help posting Laurelluin's response to this situation. She could not come in and post because the site was closed, but I find it interesting and important enough to put it up here for everyone's information. They'll get it when the site re-opens

Laurelluin wrote:
I have no problem believing that if you're talking about AutismSpeaks. They're not so much about helping people with autism as they are about helping people cope with the *unbearable* burden of having autistic people in their lives. They're not about understanding, accommodating, accepting and integrating autistic people into society so much as they are about eradicating autism.

They are not interested in the opinions of Autists, and they do not want anyone with Asperger's Syndrome--no matter how "high functioning," gifted, articulate or intelligent that individual may be. They want scientific research to discover the cause of Autism so it can either be cured, or detected in fetuses so that autistic babies can be aborted instead of burdening their families. They are more likely to sympathize with and justify the frustrations of parents who say that having an autistic child is so bad it makes them want to commit suicide/homicide rather than continue to try to "reach" and "teach" and "help" their autistic child.

So really, it doesn't surprise me that those totalitarian eugenics advocates failed to appreciate Bruce's song. I believe he might get better reception at www.wrongplanet.net. It's a forum similar to AV and to CoS, but for Autistic people, people with Asperger's Syndrome, and friends and family members of ASD people who want to understand us and get along with us rather than institutionalize us, cure us or wipe us out. It was developed and is maintained by a truly brilliant Aspie named Alex Plank. Believe me it has its trolls, but it's a much more tolerant place than AutismSpeaks. AutismSpeaks also told Alex to go away, they weren't interested in his point of view.

OK that's my rant against AutismSpeaks for the day.

UnMask

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Song on Autism Reply with quote

Lets get the facts in order about the song 'Autism' and its presentation to a charity....

It was a regional charity that works with Autistic children, adults, and their families. It does not have the word 'Autism ' in its name.

It was presented to the head of fundraising, not to the executive director or board of directors.

The woman said it was inappropriate for her September event, and her charity's website was too 'crowded' and could not take a simple 'click here to donate' button anywhere.

My prior experience with her is that while hard working she is very self impressed.

So in reality, there are so many charities that need help, so who needs to argue with the ONLY person who has been negative?

We'll get the legal stuff done so we have a business platform to work off of, and we will go from there.

Thanks to all of you for your input!!
Smile
UnMask

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Julia Reply with quote

Our singer, Julia, just gave birth to a boy, Cooper!

All are doing well.
very happy
Wildflower

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Congratulations to Julia and husband! Reply with quote

UnMask wrote:
Our singer, Julia, just gave birth to a boy, Cooper!

All are doing well.
very happy

Please convey to Julia the warm congratulations and best wishes of the whole site. We have all enjoyed her singing, and are all so happy for her, her hubby and the new baby
Angelina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Sesame Street introduces autistic character Reply with quote

Sesame Street introduced its first character with autism, Julia (fun coincidence, she's called Julia, like the singer who does he Autism song), in hopes of destigmatizing the disorder and reducing bullying.

Julia and friends
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Music and Poetry House All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: