AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
The Time Team/English accents
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildflower

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Accents Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
I wonder why I can tell the different accents and many of you can't? Maybe because English is my first language and it isn't to most of you? It seems many of you have Vietnamese or French as the first language you learned to speak so perhaps that is why? I would be interested to know if any of you could tell the difference in the accents of the Harry Potter cast apart from me... super grin

That's exactly it. You can tell because English is your native tongue, and also Australian accent is close to British accent(s).

I can tell the difference between all Vietnamese and all French accents that I'm sure you wouldn't be able to. For example, in "Jean de Florette", Yves Montant does a perfect imitation of a Southern France peasant accent. Some of my French friends' parents who are from different regions of France sometimes have accents I can differentiate. My friends themselves mostly have Parisian accents, as do I. I haven't picked up the Southern accent yet, but Nice and Cagnes are cosmopolitan enough, the people their speak "regular" French (though sometimes grammatically incorrect but that's another matter).

Stacey, the "chameleon" thing is common. My father had it. I don't think I do, but some people disagree.

Though, as you know, I speak and write English perfectly well, and can tell the difference in American English accents, the differences in British accents escape me, except, as someone said earlier, for cockney, and for Hagrid's (but for Hagrid, it's more how it's written, at the movies I'm not sure I took notice of it too much). On sound alone, I probably wouldn't know Cho from Luna or Hermione, and if I did, it would be their voices, not their accents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: