AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
The Time Team/English accents
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: The Time Team/English accents Reply with quote

Um Hagrid doesn't speak a kind of pigeon English but has an English dialect and accent. He sounds a lot like one of the archaeologists on The Time Team actually... super grin
Bécassine

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagrid Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Um Hagrid doesn't speak a kind of pigeon English but has an English dialect and accent. He sounds a lot like one of the archaeologists on The Time Team actually... super grin

Euh... What's "pigeon English"? Pigeons speak English? confused

Joke aside, I think what Lily means is that neither Mags nor Hagrid speak the Queen's, or even the President's English. And if I'm not mistaken, Hagrid's grammar is not stellar either. I must admit I, too, found it annoying. One would have thought he'd have lost his accent and incorrect phrasing after all those years a Hogwarts.

I guess I don't know English, pigeon or otherwise, well enough to tell a regional accent from faulty syntax, pronunciation and grammar, i.e. "broken" English.

What's the Time Team?
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: The Time Team Reply with quote

The Time Team were a group of academics such as archaeologists, historians etc that would undertake a 3 day excavation and was presented by actor Tony Robinson and one of them sounds just like Hagrid and he is a very well educated Brit who happens to have been brought up in a certain area of the UK and hence has a strong dialect and accent of that area... I can't think why you people would think Hagrid should have lost his accent just because he went to Hogwarts... Professor McGonagall didn't lose her Scottish accent and very few of the students spoke the 'Queen's' English - Harry and Ron didn't but Hermione did...Did you listen to the accents of the other students in the films? They were speaking with the accent of the places they were brought up in eg. Irish, Scottish, Yorkshire, London Cockney etc etc Most countries in the world have dialects and some are very hard to understand and Hagrid had his which didn't necessarily make him an idiot even though he didn't finish all his education...Hagrid's accent is very much like a Wiltshire accent and rather like Phil Harding the archaeologist on the Time Team... super grin

Now how's that for going right off topic in this thread...LOL
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Going Off-topic Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Now how's that for going right off topic in this thread...LOL

Well, it's not off-topic any more because I split the thread. super grin
Bécassine

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: English accents Reply with quote

Quote:
very few of the students spoke the 'Queen's' English - Harry and Ron didn't but Hermione did...Did you listen to the accents of the other students in the films?

Yes I did and to tell you the truth, to me Harry and Ron's accents are undistinguishable from Hermione's and most of the other students'.

I can tell American from British accents, and Hagrid's accent struck my ears because it's so different. But I really couldn't tell the difference between several British accents. I'd know Cockney of course (Eliza Doolittle's accent at first then later after Henry Higgins' tutoring) - In the US I can distinguish a Southern accent, or a Texas drawl, from New England's. I can also detect Canadian accents (both in English and French). But that's about it.

It's all English to me. super grin wink

One does lose one's accent with one's environment though. I can see it here, French people who learned English in the UK, came to the US with a British accent that they lost after a few years among the Yanks. Wildflower herself is an example. She had a Briitish with a touch of French accent, but now she could pass for an American. Confused
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:55 am    Post subject: English accents Reply with quote

I could tell the different accents of the Hogwarts students... Luna has an Irish lilt and even in the different counties there the accents are slightly different. Cho definitely had a Scottish accent and they can differ depending on where you were brought up too. Hermione's accent was more like the Queen's English but not so prominent whereas Ron and Harry again had different accents as did Neville and Seamus (again a different Irish accent to Luna's) and then different again was that of Dean Thomas....

Last edited by inkling7 on Thu May 28, 2015 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lyanna

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Accents Reply with quote

Bécassine wrote:
One does lose one's accent with one's environment though. I can see it here, French people who learned English in the UK, came to the US with a British accent that they lost after a few years among the Yanks. Wildflower herself is an example. She had a Briitish with a touch of French accent, but now she could pass for an American. Confused

One does lose one's original accent with time, or at least one can "change" accents.

My father was from Central Vietnam, but moved to the South in his early 20's. He retained his Central accent when he spoke with his mother (who never lost hers) and his side of the family, but with us and with everyone else in the South he spoke with a Southern accent. Same with his sister. They both could go back and forth.

I couldn't speak with a Central accent (or a Northern one for that matter) if my life depended on it.

I used to have a British accent, but I lost it after over 40 years in the US. In Spanish I used to speak Castilian. Now I speak Latin American Spanish with a French accent, LOL. I used to roll my "r"s with the best of them, I can't any more.
Angelina

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: English accents Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
I could tell the different accents of the Hogwarts students...

I can't. Like Bécassine, it's all English to me, except for Hagrid whose accent/speech is easily discernable.
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Accents Reply with quote

I wonder why I can tell the different accents and many of you can't? Maybe because English is my first language and it isn't to most of you? It seems many of you have Vietnamese or French as the first language you learned to speak so perhaps that is why? I would be interested to know if any of you could tell the difference in the accents of the Harry Potter cast apart from me... super grin
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: accents Reply with quote

English is my first language (and my only language for that matter) I can tell the different accents but I can never really place them, especially if they are very subtle.

I know Shamus's accent is different to Luner's but apart from saying that it is an Irish accent I wouldn't have a clue.

I am what I call a chameleon, my accent changed depending on whom I am talking to, I don't mean to do it. it just happens then I can never do it on cue with the exception of the Queens english.

Find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stacey.corner.37 please send me a message first so I know it is you Smile

Proud to be a
[/color]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: