AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Movie Reviews
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Movie Reviews Reply with quote

As I goto the cinema a lot I have decided to start a movie review thread for things I have gone to see.
Please feel free to join in Smile
This is everything I have seen since the beginning of January:

Fifty Shades of Grey I have already reviewed this on the sight so I will keep this one brief, If you are paying to see a movie don't bother, wait until it comes out on dvd. the movie has its moments Funny moments, cringe worthy moments and erotic moments. however if you have read the book you are not in for any bits of dialogue you haven't already read, if your board and there is nothing else on that you fancy seeing it go for it but don't expect anything ground braking.

Kingsman: The Secret Service A good movie with a few bits of the movie that doesn't really work. Out of Four people whom I know have been to see this movie 1 LOVED it, 1 said it was ok and 2 said they didn't like it. (I am included in this group)
The good bits are very very good, the psychological playing that goes on with the candidates, the tests that they have to go through and the majority of the fighting scenes. The bad bits are bad on a monumental scale. Morgan Freeman as a bag guy I could accept but his character is not believable in the slightest. The writers could have done more with his concept of global warming that bit was interesting and thought provoking, what they actually do with it however you end up wondering why they came up with such a good idea in the first place. Lastly (I will try to describe this without giving anything away) as part of the plot there are an awful lot of people that have implants in their heads, the implants are linked to a self destruct command at one point this command goes off the result should be sad and horrifying but the film makers make a joke out of it. I get the joke (I do have a very black sense of humour) but I think that they managed to miss the mark, on the other hand I have never seen anything like that before so well done. If you want to see someone try to mix new and old together then this is for you. Otherwise I would say stick to the new or stick to the old as this mix in my opinion does not work.

Jupiter Ascending I have wanted to see this movie from when I first heard about it (around nine months ago now), the launch was put back to work on the special effects, despite that this made me wait for the movie to come out I am so glad they did that. A good movie on so many levels. The special effects are so good, the visuals are mesmerising and the concept is thought provoking.
I cant fault ether lead however Mila Kunis (Jupiter Jones) does seam flat in a few places and Channing Tatum (Caine Wise) is the best looking lead I have seen in a while .... yes I am superficial but I am sure this is what someone was going for as a good chunk of the movie he is running around topless. The funny bits are hilarious the sad bits are .... non existent and the special effects are ..... special the level of detail that must have went into them is just outstanding even small things like Jupiter's headdress small little bits of it are floating in the air, even tiny details like Balem Abrasax's floating chair. This does bring me onto the one bad point I have Eddie Redmayne (Balem Abrasax) performance, after watching The Theory of Everything (more on that later) I had such high hopes, this was exactly the same performance as in Theory without the wheelchair I don't know why but he really seams to have a problem opening his mouth when he talks, this just makes him have a deadpan expression in Theory that worked really well but it wasn't for this character.

Big Hero 6 A movie to please young and old alike along with the die hard comic book fans to an extent. A good fast paced story, a total geek fest with up to the minute technology built into the story. If you do go to see this stay until the very end of the credits to get the Stan Lee cameo that are now a must for any Marvel movie.

Into The Woods As I have never seen the stage show to this, I have nothing to compare it to as a musical, so the singing is amazing, the set is outstanding (from reading interviews with the cast) they built a wood inside a studio and released real live birds into it ......... wow! The kids especially the girl seam to have an inability to act or react to anything. Johnny Depp (Wolf) steels ever scene he is in as he manages to do in everything. This movie is way too long when you get to where you think the ending is ...... it isn't you have at least another hour left to go. That all said I could think of worse things to spend 125 minutes doing. My view of this movie has been tainted, I will see details where most other people will see the whole picture so I spotted a lot of continuity mistakes in this movie to the point I started annoying myself with them, If you don't tend to see these things then I am sure you will love the movie .... unless I am sat next to you.

Exodus: Gods And Kings A very long (150 minutes) well it seams longer and very gruesome (in places) movie. I did see this movie a while ago so can just about remember the major plot points. From what i remember a good movie, very cinematic with a lot of very good acting.

The Theory of Everything An amazing movie, both leads Eddie Redmayne (Stephen Hawking) and Felicity Jones (Jane Hawking) have a flawless performance. As the movie has such a sad theme throughout the funny moments that happen in the movie become hilarious they are the right tone and at the right times in the story, as in every day life funny moments happen you have to laugh at them when they do. All I can say about this movie it is a must see for everyone.

EDIT: I spent forever writing this yesterday evening only when I tried to post, the sight was shut again all I can say is I am so glad I thought to copy and past it into pages before I pressed submit Smile

Find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stacey.corner.37 please send me a message first so I know it is you Smile

Proud to be a
[/color]
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Project Almanac Reply with quote

Project Almanac

A headache inducing 105 minutes long waist of time. I would love to say that this movie has a saving grace but it really doesn't.
It is pointless from beginning to end, the camera work in the first ten minutes will give you a headache never mind the excuse for a plot. A special mention need to go to the camera work in this movie the kids (thats what they are .... ok teenagers) seam to have a working camera permanently attached to them. With strange angled shots and some very bad editing (I know they were trying to go for a I stopped the camera and have just happened to turn it back on) thing but it really doesn't work.

So fifteen minutes into the movie the audience is still trying to guess what is going on, with the exception that the main person (David) has got into MIT but not got the funds to actually go but we are expected to believe that no one has been in the attic or the basement of the house for ten years and sadly this is the most believable thing that they expect us to swallow. Some of the other things are blowing a car battery blows out the lights for the whole street and five high school students can and do brake into a high school, then take a camera to film it.

All of this is even before we get to the whole subject of time travel, witch in its self is mind bending after they make the time machine work they come up with a set of rules to keep them and the space time continue safe. Then when David brakes these rules they wonder why everything is messed up.

To sum up don't bother .... don't even bother when it comes out on DVD. Saying that if you like movies that make no sense and don't have a proper ending ... go for it.

Find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stacey.corner.37 please send me a message first so I know it is you Smile

Proud to be a
[/color]
Annamite_en_Amérique

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Oh great! Reply with quote

This is great, sjcuk13!! We needed someone like you, who goes to movies a lot, to start a thread like this.

Have you seen either American Sniper or Ida? Or the Best Picture winner, Birdman?

Công Hòa Viêt-Nam Muôn Nam!
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: American Sniper Reply with quote

American Sniper is on my list I can hopefully go to see this soon.

Thank you Smile at least I know people are reading it and it lets me "vent" about some movies Smile. if it helps people and people find it interesting I will defiantly continue Smile

I am wondering if I should start a thread about TV series up until the current aired episode or current aired season. I don't know if anyone would be interested in that.

Also I would like to say if anyone has seen anything I have and had a different opinion I would love to hear from you Smile .... or if you have seen something I haven't.

Proud to be a
[/color]
Wildflower

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Movies and TV series reviews Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
Thank you Smile at least I know people are reading it and it lets me "vent" about some movies Smile. if it helps people and people find it interesting I will defiantly continue Smile

Nothing defiant about it, dear. Please by all means continue! Very Happy

Quote:
I am wondering if I should start a thread about TV series up until the current aired episode or current aired season. I don't know if anyone would be interested in that.

Absolutely!!

Quote:
Also I would like to say if anyone has seen anything I have and had a different opinion I would love to hear from you Smile .... or if you have seen something I haven't.

I'm sure our members will be happy to chime in with their opinions. But it looks like you're our most frequent movie-goer and tv series watcher!!

Personally, I don't watch much TV at all, apart from the news, some political commentary talk shows and the last movie I actually went out to see is Mockingjay Part I!! But I do read reviews, both in magazines and here (also on CoS when I went there, which I haven't done for quite a while now. They used to have some pretty lively tv and movie reviews threads.

The TV series I do watch is Game of Thrones but since I don't have HBO, I wait until my brother sends me either the link to the on-line showing, or the DVDs. I used to watch the new (well not so new now, it's in its 5th season) Hawaii 5-0. Also Sherlock Holmes and Downton Abbey. But I used to watch those with my husband, and since he died four years ago I haven't had the heart or energy to watch them by myself. Silly but there you are. Pale sigh

The only one I keep an active interest in is Game of Thrones.
Wildflower

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Movie Reviews Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
I have decided to start a movie review thread for things I have gone to see.

I would suggest, dear, that you start a new thread for each movie or series that you review. Easier to respond to. Very Happy
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Movie Reviews Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
I would suggest, dear, that you start a new thread for each movie or series that you review. Easier to respond to. Very Happy

I kind of assumed that that would be spamming pretty much especially when I go to see three or four movies in a day.

Proud to be a
[/color]
Wildflower

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Movie Reviews Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
I kind of assumed that that would be spamming pretty much especially when I go to see three or four movies in a day.

I wouldn't call that spamming, dear. Anyway, overposting is not a crime on this site. It's actually more logical to have a separate thread for each movie or series. It makes responses easier. Very Happy
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: New threads galore :) Reply with quote

Ok I will start a new thread for each movie I review Smile.

Proud to be a
[/color]
Internaute

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New threads galore :) Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
Ok I will start a new thread for each movie I review Smile.

Agreement it's a good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: