AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Different Strokes/Tastes for Different Folks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Separated by a common language Reply with quote

Ok I also apologise for being snarky about it mr write.... It just that here downunder we use that phrase when we are talking about someone's bad taste in anything - when it is said it is meant as an insult.... I guess it is like the bully for you which to us is also a snarky remark....

However you don't have to a linguist to understand what is being said and Miss Eleven does understand what the phrase means to us...
Mr. Write

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Separated by a common language Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Ok I also apologise for being snarky about it mr write.... It just that here downunder we use that phrase when we are talking about someone's bad taste in anything - when it is said it is meant as an insult.... I guess it is like the bully for you which to us is also a snarky remark....

Apology accepted, Inkling. However, be aware that your hyper-sensitivity to what you perceive as "snark" makes it very difficult to talk to you. We have to walk on eggs around you, while, as several posters have pointed out, you show no reluctance whatsoever in slamming others, and doing it deliberately, while when we err on the snarky side, it is by mistake or ignorance of our linguistic differences. We usually are not even aware that something we write innocently will provoke your ire. As I previously noted, and Laurelluin expressed so well in different words, a case of the pot calling the kettle black, or glass houses and throwing stones.

Laurelluin wrote:
But I see no reason to get all huffy and hot under the collar about it either.

Especially when the person to whom it was initially directed is known for being rather heavy-handed both in voicing opinions and in disagreeing with others.

Thank you, Laurelluin! shameless grin

Quote:
However you don't have to a linguist to understand what is being said and Miss Eleven does understand what the phrase means to us...

My point was she didn't realize that it doesn't mean the same thing in other countries. So she didn't realize that the comment was not snarky. Because to us, it isn't.

I find the difference in tastes in books quite interesting. To me, The Silmarillion is all but unreadable, whereas almost every Dresden, or for that matter Codex Alera book is an all-nighter, I just can't put them down. From the discussion on CoS and other chat sites (among them obviously the Jim Butcher site), it seems I'm not the only reader who finds them engrossing. IIRC, even the "great" Morgoth is a Dresden fan. Not that it says much for us, having the same tastes as that, um, you-know-what. Or let me be kind and say that even Morgoth can have good taste sometimes. Which, I hasten to add, doesn't mean that not liking Jim Butcher and liking The Silmarillion is bad taste. Just different. Which is all I meant to say with "You can't account for taste."

Case closed. peace
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Separated by a common language Reply with quote

All I can say it is just as well I am the only poster from my part of the world as more fur might have been flying if I wasn't.... Different world views it seems but I can't be expected to know the interpretations of all your expressions... Even many linguists wouldn't and don't.... Just as well you don't plan on visiting here or you might get yourself into a whole lot bother with our interpretations of some of the North American phrases... super grin
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Separated by a common language Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
All I can say it is just as well I am the only poster from my part of the world as more fur might have been flying if I wasn't.... Different world views it seems but I can't be expected to know the interpretations of all your expressions... Even many linguists wouldn't and don't.... Just as well you don't plan on visiting here or you might get yourself into a whole lot bother with our interpretations of some of the North American phrases... super grin

Well, we do have Aaron (ArryGrotter) who's a Kiwi, but he doesn't come in often, if at all.

I don't think a US person visiting Australia would have problems. Their accent would give them away, and people would make allowances. I do hope that all Aussies are not as hypersensitive as you are on really such unimportant phrases that you take much too personally (while, as people have pointed out, not mincing your words when hitting on others).

Americans do make allowances for Brits, and for people who are not native English speakers, at least most of the time. They are not so touchy as you have been, though I quite understand that you're under stress and thus more sensitive.

Even in the US itself, between States, there may be differences. For example, I was lambasted once for saying "It's too bad" about something really tragic, and the US person I was talking to thought it was too mild a phrase for whatever it was (I can't remember). In fact, my husband, and other people here in Connecticut use it even for really dramatic events. They would not have hit on me for using "It's too bad" instead of "What a tragedy" or some such...

Anyway, today, the day after the massacre at Charlie Hebdo, I think this little terminology debate is really minor. I'm trying to catch up on the news, and all the manifestations of support to the slain cartoonists and police officers (I hear more were killed today, including a female cop). I've posted a few cartoons on the banner. Spoils my New Year/Epiphany theme but for a good cause!!!
Bécassine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Separated by a common language Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Just as well you don't plan on visiting here or you might get yourself into a whole lot bother with our interpretations of some of the North American phrases... super grin

I hope that all Australians are not as easily offended, more tolerant and understanding of differences than you are. I learned American English, but when I go to England, people make allowances. They may joke, or gently correct me, but they don't berate me. I would hate to find myself in "a whole lot of bother" just because I used the wrong turn of phrase. I also think that, being there in the flesh, body language would make it clear that the speaker meant no harm. Here on this site, as we are between friends, I wouldn't fly off the handle on an expression without first checking what the other person means. There was no reason for Mr. Write to insult you or put down your tastes. Can't you just give people the benefit of the doubt before you fly at them?

But your threat of possibly finding myself "into a whole lot of bother" makes me not want to visit Australia, though that had been a dream for me for a long time. Sad
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Separated by a common language Reply with quote

Bécassine wrote:
inkling7 wrote:
Just as well you don't plan on visiting here or you might get yourself into a whole lot bother with our interpretations of some of the North American phrases... super grin

I hope that all Australians are not as easily offended, more tolerant and understanding of differences than you are. I learned American English, but when I go to England, people make allowances. They may joke, or gently correct me, but they don't berate me. I would hate to find myself in "a whole lot of bother" just because I used the wrong turn of phrase. I also think that, being there in the flesh, body language would make it clear that the speaker meant no harm. Here on this site, as we are between friends, I wouldn't fly off the handle on an expression without first checking what the other person means. There was no reason for Mr. Write to insult you or put down your tastes. Can't you just give people the benefit of the doubt before you fly at them?

Well spoken, Becassine.

Quote:
But your threat of possibly finding myself "into a whole lot of bother" makes me not want to visit Australia, though that had been a dream for me for a long time. Sad

Don't let a little very upset from anyone make you give up your dreams dear. I wouldn't let one person speak for a whole nation. Likely you'd be just as welcome Down Under as you were in the U.S.A. love
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
Bécassine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Separated by a common language Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:
Well spoken, Becassine.

Thank you Laurelluin! You have good taste, and there's no accounting for taste! wink

Quote:
Don't let a little very upset from anyone make you give up your dreams dear. I wouldn't let one person speak for a whole nation. Likely you'd be just as welcome Down Under as you were in the U.S.A. love

You're right. It's just that that statement of Inkling's was so harsh and threatening. Sounded like as soon as you open your mouth in Australia, especially if you have an American accent - or idiom (in England I'm told I speak American English with a French accent) you're gonna get in trouble, maybe even deported? Eek (J/k here.)

It's normal that Inkling's 11-year-old daughter doesn't grasp that for other people, even speaking the same language, the same words don't have the same meaning (bonnet/hood, boot/trunk, jumper, purse, vest, etc.), let alone phrases (to "knock up", "no accounting for taste", etc.) At 11 you just know what you hear around you. you don't know to look further. But that an adult cites that child to justify slamming someone who didn't mean any harm, then tells us we'd get "into a whole load of bother" if we ever visited her country... It really turned me off. You're right though, we shouldn't judge a whole country by one representative of it. I'll keep it in mind. super grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: