AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Different Strokes/Tastes for Different Folks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Write

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Different Strokes/Tastes for Different Folks Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
I actually liked The Old Man and the Sea and also The Simarillion so it seems we all have different tastes doesn't it....LOL

You actually not only got through, but LIKED The Silmarillion? You're right, there's no accounting for taste!! Eek
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Tastes Reply with quote

I know lots of people who ave read and enjoyed The Simarillion but I suppose like me they are real Tolkien fans and wanted to know all the backstory of his books and like reading about history even if it is fiction.... super grin

That said I can't get into The Hunger Games or the The Dresden Files books that quite a few of you have been raving on about and nor could any of my friends so we really do have different tastes but wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same things like books music films TV shows etc.

It doesn't mean we have bad taste so the phrase "there is no accounting for taste" in your post was a little snarky but I would never say that about anyone's taste in the arts but "each to their own"..... super grin
Wildflower

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tastes Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
It doesn't mean we have bad taste so the phrase "there is no accounting for taste" in your post was a little snarky but I would never say that about anyone's taste in the arts but "each to their own"..... super grin

Oh for Heaven's sake, Julie! All Mr. Write meant was just that - We each have different tastes and we don't understand how other people can like or dislike such and such. You reacted just liked you did about "Bully for you" when no snarkiness was meant.

As you say, it would be boring if we all liked and disliked the same thing.

Even if we all like Harry Potter, for example, we don't like or dislike the same characters, or we wouldn't have all those debates about Snape, James and Lily, the Marauders, etc.

I wonder if there's somebody who likes Umbridge? LOL!
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Words, words, words Reply with quote

Actually it was my 11 year old granddaughter that pointed out the words that seemed snarky to her and thought it was a bad choice of phrase and now I think about it I agree.... To us here in Australia that is a little offensive but to you in the US maybe not... We here would use a different phrase but if that offends you then so be it and Aussies and others from down under won't bother with it all again... It seems if we offend you lot with what is inoffensive that is OK but heaven gel us should you do the same to us....

Different world views again at work here again and once again we are portrayed as being wrong or silly for what we perceive.... sheesh... no wonder none of my aussie and kiwi friends who have actually iooked at this site with me or at my request but have not wanted to get involved with it despite my saying you lot were OK.... they thought you were just a bit too intolerant of our points of view.... Hate to say it but there you go... So sit back and think about your turn of phrase before you criticise what our perceptions are or what is said to us.... I might add that included two Vietnamese or at least one born here and the other not who thought the same as I did...
Mr. Write

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tastes Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
Oh for Heaven's sake, Julie! All Mr. Write meant was just that - We each have different tastes and we don't understand how other people can like or dislike such and such. You reacted just liked you did about "Bully for you" when no snarkiness was meant.

Thank you, fearless leader, that's exactly what I meant. In the US we use "There's no accounting for taste" just to point out that we have all different tastes, and we don't always understand why some people go gaga over some book that bore us to tears. There's no snarkiness involved. If it was so perceived, I apologize.

Quote:
Even if we all like Harry Potter, for example, we don't like or dislike the same characters, or we wouldn't have all those debates about Snape, James and Lily, the Marauders, etc.

You forgot Cho and Ginny. Not to mention the Ron fen. shameless grin

inkling7 wrote:
Actually it was my 11 year old granddaughter that pointed out the words that seemed snarky to her and thought it was a bad choice of phrase and now I think about it I agree...

With all due respect, I'm not sure your 11 year old granddaughter is enough of a linguist to perceive that we are "divided by a common language". Shaw may have mean England and the US, but it goes for other English-speaking countries too. Your being upset about "ass" and "arse" is a prime example.

OK, so bad choice of words. Again, I apologize. I was only using what we currently use here.

When did we say or imply you were wrong or silly? We have different perceptions, that's all. I don't perceive us as "intolerant", even if we sometimes don't express ourselves quite as diplomatically as we might. You are not so soft-handed yourself when you slam us. We try to have lively discussions and debates, and our Mods here try to be not like the CoS Mods and stifle freedom of expression.

Back to The Silmarillion, many people who are Tolkien fans couldn't get into it. Wildflower, Roar (who couldn't get past 20 pages though she likes both LotR and footnotes to stories in general) and I can't remember who else. You liked it, good for you. Laurelluin does too, she can quote you chapter and verse on it, which elicits the utmost admiration in me. You don't like Hunger Games or Harry Dresden, that's fine too. As you yourself said, we can't all like or dislike the same things or we'd be bored to death.

I'm sure the Admins here will be quite upset to be perceived as "intolerant". I know they try to be fair and even-handed, even if they heavily lean on the Liberal side politically. And you, Inkling, you haven't shown much tolerance either, have you? The way you've slammed some of the Conservatives on this site? So. Pot. Kettle. Black.

You can't go out and complain about "snarkiness" without expecting a response. We're trying to explain our point of view. Sorry if it sounds "intolerant". I guess that, like Harry Dresden himself, we're all "diplomatically challenged" and belong in "a home for the tactless". super grin

Anyway, if I gave offense, I'm truly sorry. All I really meant was, we all have different tastes and that's a good thing. peace

Quote:
no wonder none of my aussie and kiwi friends who have actually iooked at this site with me or at my request but have not wanted to get involved with it despite my saying you lot were OK.... they thought you were just a bit too intolerant of our points of view....

So sorry to hear that. Maybe they could come in and help us mend our ways? bleh
Rowena

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Words, words, words Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
So sit back and think about your turn of phrase before you criticise what our perceptions are or what is said to us....

Thus spake the one who called the CoS Mods "little Hitlers" and got the two sites at war with each other! Mote in one's eye, anyone? bleh
Do Quy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Oh good, another fight!! Reply with quote

We hadn't had a fight in here in some time and I was feeling inadequate and underused. Very Sad

Go, guys and dolls! Kss! Ksss!! Attack! Throw words at each other!!

In all fairness, however, I must say that I hear "There's no accounting for taste" all the time, as an objective statement of fact without the least trace of snarkiness.

Inkling and her granddaughter forget or, in the kid's case, don't know, that we are indeed separated by a common language. This is not the first time Inkling is freaking out because she misunderstood the meaning of a word or phrase.

But then, without misunderstandings, we wouldn't have as many fights, would we? I'd have to go apply for unemployment!!
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Mine run to the Professor and all his works Reply with quote

For what it's worth I've always heard "there's no accounting for tastes" as a phrase with a little snark as it, as one wouldn't likely say it about a person whose tastes align with their own. Basically, I've only ever heard it used to say that you don't understand why someone likes what they like but you don't really mind, you like that person anyway.

So there is, imo, a touch of maligning the other person's tastes inherent in the phrase.

But I see no reason to get all huffy and hot under the collar about it either.

Especially when the person to whom it was initially directed is known for being rather heavy-handed both in voicing opinions and in disagreeing with others.

Hopefully,

no offense meant,

no harm done,

let's all shake hands and go home friends.

'cuz we're all friends here--even though there's no accounting for taste. Razz

The Silmarillion may be difficult to read, but that's likely because it was an unfinished, unpolished work in progress, published posthumously when the Professor hadn't found the time to complete it the way he intended.

It's still a wonder and a delight, in my opinion.

Four days after his birthday, I'd like to propose a toast: wine to the Professor! wine

(no hypocrisy here, mine's unfermented as always. you can have whatever you want in your own glass!)
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
Bécassine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Snark Reply with quote

Forgive a poor iggerant Bretonne, but what exactly does "snark" or "snarky" mean? confused

Why does "you don't understand why someone likes what they like but you don't really mind, you like that person anyway" make "the grumpiest old woman on Ave Viet" freak out and lash out at the site like that? wonder

I shall, however, drink a toast to the Professor. wine
DarkWind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Tastes Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:

I don't see that anyone said that different tastes were necessarily "bad". I didn't get that from Mr. Write's post at all.

You seem oversensitive, Inkling, when you think someone is "snarky" with you, but you pull no punches when you criticize or bait others with sarcasm. A little tour in the Politix forum - or any heated discussion - would prove that point.

Bécassine, I found several definitions of "snarky". Here are two:

Quote:
1. easily irritated or annoyed <working all day with such snarky jerks is exhausting>
Synonyms choleric, crabby, cranky, cross, crotchety, fiery, grouchy, grumpy, irascible, peevish, perverse, pettish, petulant, prickly, quick-tempered, raspy, ratty, short-tempered, snappish, snappy, snarky, snippety, snippy, stuffy, testy, waspish

2. marked by the use of wit that is intended to cause hurt feelings <with champagne as a lubricant, she unleashed an unending series of snarky comments for the duration of the wedding reception>
Synonyms acerb, acerbic, acid, acidic, acidulous, acrid, barbed, biting, caustic, corrosive, cutting, mordant, pungent, sardonic, satiric (or satirical), scalding, scathing, sharp, smart-aleck, smart-alecky, smart-mouthed, snarky, tart

According to Definition 1, it's Inkling, not Mr. Write, who's "snarky" (easily irritated or annoyed), LOL.

I see no evidence that Mr. Write was "using wit to hurt feelings" either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: