AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
The Dragonriders of Pern
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyanna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: More on Pern Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:
If I recall correctly, Kenjo's family name is Fusaiyuki.

It is. What a memory!! ten

Quote:
I wonder if the thread is edging toward where it ought to be split into a separate thread just for Pern!

It's OK to spend some time discussing a book or a series of books. I don't think a "Pern only" thread would have that many participants.

"Dawn" is growing on me, I like it more as I progress in the reading. I'm almost finished now.

I can see why people from Bitra have a bad reputation in later books. Avril Bitra was quite a piece of work, wasn't she? What a bitch!! I wonder that they didn't change the Hold's name after it passed to other people. I wouldn't have liked to have such an ancestress, and have people know it. Too bad Connell and Hanrahan aren't names that went down to posterity...

I wonder when the tradition of shortening the male dragon riders' names came about? It would have been difficult to shorten "Sean" anyway. super grin
Lyanna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Asper Dragon Lady Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:
I started a blog about it, though; try googling asperdragonlady (all as one word) and let me know what comes up! Mad

Your blog comes up: http://lyraluthtinu.blogspot.com/2014/07/color-blind-aspie-analogy.html super grin

Long post, I haven't read it yet but will. Very Happy
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: More on Pern Reply with quote

Lyanna wrote:

I can see why people from Bitra have a bad reputation in later books. Avril Bitra was quite a piece of work, wasn't she? What a bitch!! I wonder that they didn't change the Hold's name after it passed to other people. I wouldn't have liked to have such an ancestress, and have people know it.

I don't understand why McCaffrey even did that with that particular name. It seems that should have been a name that was forgotten! There were a few characters who were mildly unpleasant rather than altogether horrible that could have been named Bitra, and Avril could have had a name that was lost to history! I can't see where in real life a city would be named after an infamous narcissist.

Hm, maybe I speak to soon.
Alexandria and Stalingrad pop into mind upon a moment's reflection!

Quote:
Too bad Connell and Hanrahan aren't names that went down to posterity...

Connell descendants all ended up in the Weyrs. Smile So if anything there should be a Connell Weyr! And the Hanrahans--they went by "Red" Hanrahan and the ford over the river on the way to his Hold. The Hold of Red's Ford = Ruadh Atha = Ruatha. Wink

That ^^^ piece of information, plus the answer to this:
Quote:
I wonder when the tradition of shortening the male dragon riders' names came about? It would have been difficult to shorten "Sean" anyway. super grin

Are both found in First Fall. There's also more in there about the SeaHold ancestors, and the Dolphins, and the foundings of two or three more Holds and two more Weyrs, and the traditions surrounding dragon mating flights and the choosing of Weyrleaders. And a whole story about Torene, who is still remembered in Lessa's time as one of history's greatest Weyrwomen. Do you remember the moment in Dragonflight when Lessa is thinking about herself sitting in the same seat that Moreta and Torene had sat? Yeah. Torene's story is not what I expected--but neither is Moreta's! I'm glad to see you've included Moreta in your next batch, Wildflower. It's good reading. There's a tag-along shorter novel called Nerilka's Story that's concurrent, about Hold character from the same storyline. I already know you like Lessa and F'lessan--let me know what you think of Alessan when you read Moreta! I think Moreta has an autistic character. The runnerbeast master who can name all the bloodlines of all the animals back to planetfall--he's either eidetic, or Aspie, or both. Wink
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
Lyanna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: More on Pern Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:
I can't see where in real life a city would be named after an infamous narcissist.

Hm, maybe I speak to soon.
Alexandria and Stalingrad pop into mind upon a moment's reflection!

Alexander and Stalin were both world leaders, which Avril Bitra wasn't. Alexandria and Stalingrad make more sense (sort of) than Bitra.

Quote:
And the Hanrahans--they went by "Red" Hanrahan and the ford over the river on the way to his Hold. The Hold of Red's Ford = Ruadh Atha = Ruatha. Wink

Oh, cool!! Cool I did wonder where "Ruatha" comes from, now I know. No wonder Lessa is a born dragon rider!!

I almost got "First Fall" too, but I had already ordered over $50's worth of books and other things so I thought I'd wait for the next batch. shameless grin

Plus, I'd like to take a little vacation from Pern and Dragons and go back to Alternate Futures Where JFK didn't die in 1963...

BTW, Inkling and Vanille, I loved that piece of dialogue from Red Dwarf you posted in Entertainment. "JFK" - "No, it was John something, not Jeff Kay!"
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: ASOIAF and Pern Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
I cut this paragraph of Mr. Write's that got lost in the SoIaF thread...

Aargh! You did this for aSoIaF but not for Pern? I don't get it. Now my posts are lost and I have to look elsewhere!

Quote:
Meanwhile, "Moreta, Dragonlady of Pern" arrived in my mailbox, so I'll start on it pretty soon. I also want to re-read "11/22/63", so I do have a full reading plate for the next couple of weeks.

Sweet. Don't forget, I want to hear what you think of Alessan!
The Turning Tower

Last edited by Laurelluin on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ASOIAF and Pern Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:
Aargh! You did this for aSoIaF but not for Pern? I don't get it. Now my posts are lost and I have to look elsewhere!

No, they're not lost, they're still somewhere in this thread. For posterity!!

Quote:
Don't forget, I want to hear what you think of Alessan!

I didn't forget and will let you know in due time, whoever Alessan is!!! shameless grin
Wildflower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: You have your wish, Laurelluin! Reply with quote

I finally realized it does make sense to have a separate thread for Pern, so here it is.

I've just started "Moreta" and have only just met Alessan. What little I see of him in the first few pages, I like. Let me go back to it and read some more.

More to come on all this. Very Happy
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: The Lost Posts of Pern Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
Laurelluin wrote:

No, they're not lost, they're still somewhere in this thread. For posterity!!
... shameless grin

Lost, as in not where I was looking, have to look somewhere else. Yes, I found it of course but they weren't where I left them! Wink

Waiting with breath abated to hear if you like Alessan better than/as much as/less than F'lessan!
The Turning Tower
Wildflower

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: The Dragonriders of Pern Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:
Waiting with breath abated to hear if you like Alessan better than/as much as/less than F'lessan!

Well, now, it's difficult to compare the two, because F'lessan is the main character of "Skies" and is there all through the book, while Alessan only has an almost cameo role in "Moreta" - He's only seen in a couple of chapters, and one only gets a glimpse of him at the end, at the Hatching, where one learns that he married Nerilka, whom we had only read about very briefly somewhere in the middle of the book. That, in fact, made me want to read Nerilka's story, there should be more of Alessan in there. I'd also like to know more about Oklina and B'lerion.

Getting back to our guys, they are very similar. After all, Alessan is F'lessan's ancestor from a thousand years back (Pernese society is terribly static, nothing changes much in 1,000 years!) They have the same qualities, the same courage, the same selflessness, the same approach to love and sex, the same devotion to duty and the common good. They're both competent at what they do, one a Lord Holder and the other a Wingleader. So I'd say that I like them equally, but would like to read more about Alessan.

Unlike you, Laure, I like "Skies" better than "Moreta". Dealing with the tsunami was more exciting than battling the flu epidemic. Actually, certain parts of "Moreta" bored me. And I definitely like Moreta a lot less than I like Lessa.

I wish I could remember what it is that F'lessan did while "timing" it that he thought would maybe have saved Moreta's life. But I can't recall, and don't want to know bad enough to reread the book (which I've read twice already!)

ETA - You're right about inconsistencies in McCaffrey's universe. For example, in "Moreta", some green riders are male. Whereas, in the other Pern books I've read, the rider is always the same sex as the dragon. Which makes sense, since when dragons mate, so do their riders, at the same time. So what do the male green riders do when their dragons (greens are known for their high sex drive) rise to mate? [As an aside - Are all male green riders gay? - Come to think of it, it does seem so, there are a couple of male "friends" devoted to each other in the book.]

That's the big difference between the pairing of Dragons and Riders and that of Heralds and Companions in the Valdemar universe. A male Herald can have a female companion, and vice versa. In fact, The King's or Queen's Own always rides Rolan, a male, and the current Queen's Own is Talia. Since I mentioned the possibility of homosexuality in the Pern universe, there is also that in Valdemar. Part of "There is no One True Way". Vanyel, the greatest Herald Mage of all time, was bisexual. But I digress.

The other difference is that a dragon will support its rider, right or wrong (like the Telgar dragons did when Telgar Weyr became quite unccoperative and obnoxious), whereas, though it happens extremely rarely, a Companion can "disown" his or her Chosen if the latter strays from the straight and narrow. One similarity is that it's the dragon and the Companion who chooses the rider - the latter has no choice.

It'd be interesting to compare the two series in more detail.
Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: A question Reply with quote

Would a guy enjoy those two series, or is it basically chick lit? confused

Far as I can see, practically only women have read them and posted on the Pern and Valdemar threads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: