AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
A Song of Ice and Fire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: A song of ice and fire Reply with quote

My friend Juliana who is also an avid GoT fan and who was interested in all the theories been bandied about when I tell her of them has just borrowed the first three books of the series from her local library to read... She is a prolific reader so will have no trouble getting through them in a couple of weeks I imagine...LOL super grin
Wildflower

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: A song of ice and fire Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
My friend Juliana who is also an avid GoT fan and who was interested in all the theories been bandied about when I tell her of them has just borrowed the first three books of the series from her local library to read... She is a prolific reader so will have no trouble getting through them in a couple of weeks I imagine...LOL super grin

So did she get through them and did she like them? Was she able to hold on after the Blood Wedding scene? (That turned off a number of readers, it seems...)
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: A song of ice and fire Reply with quote

She only got them out 10 days ago so I doubt with Xmas and family stuff she would have read all three yet. I will ask her in a few days and see what she thought and how she compared them to the TV series.... super grin

Spoke to her this evening and she hasn't started on them yet as a book she had reserved and was in a queue to read came up and since she didn't want to hold up the queue for said book she has been reading that when she can... She reckons she will finish it tonight and then can start on the GoT which she can extend the borrowing time for since nobody has reserved them for reading as they have been out for some time now...
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Inspiration for GRRM Reply with quote

So I'm re-reading aSoIaF.
Nearing the end of Clash of Kings.

Yeah, there are scenes I remember well, and things I didn't remember at all.

I still say Jaime's first move (throwing Bran out the window) is and forever will be unforgivable.

Asian_Princess wrote:
There's a lot of "Lord of the Rings" influence, too. The Dothraki are the Rohirrim of Westeros. "Drogo" sounds a bit like "Frodo". There are other common points I thought of, but can't remember them right now.

Drogo was actually Frodo's father's name.

Frodo, son of Drogo, wasn't it?

and in other news, GRRM says The Winds of Winter might actually hit the publishing house in 2017!!
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
Asian_Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Inspiration for GRRM Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:
I still say Jaime's first move (throwing Bran out the window) is and forever will be unforgivable.

I think he did redeem himself. Will do so even more if he ends up killing Cersei. Besides, if Bran hadn't been crippled like that, he wouldn't have become the three-eye raven.

Quote:
Asian_Princess wrote:
There's a lot of "Lord of the Rings" influence, too. The Dothraki are the Rohirrim of Westeros. "Drogo" sounds a bit like "Frodo". There are other common points I thought of, but can't remember them right now.

Drogo was actually Frodo's father's name.

Frodo, son of Drogo, wasn't it?

What a memory!!! You are right. I had forgotten that.

Quote:
and in other news, GRRM says The Winds of Winter might actually hit the publishing house in 2017!!

Well, do enjoy. I stopped reading the books ages ago. Recently I tried to pick up Storm of Swords again (I had stopped just before the Red Wedding) but just couldn't get into it. I did buy Feast for Crows but have barely opened it. Didn't bother with Dance with Dragons, won't bother with Winds of Winter either. But do come and comment if you would. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to appreciate that. Very Happy
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: A Song of Ice and Fire Reply with quote

OK had lunch with Juliana last Friday and we discussed the books she has ben reading... She says everyone is much younger in the books than the TV series and we thought they might have made them older so it doesn't seem too much like a children's TV series a la Harry Potter...LOL She also says that Rob Stark's wife was not at the Red Wedding and there was no mention of her being killed or even pregnant.... The storyline is a bit different to the TV series but it has piqued my interest enough to want to get hold of the books and read them for myself... Juliana enjoyed them so I think I should.... super grin
The Shuttle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
She says everyone is much younger in the books than the TV series and we thought they might have made them older so it doesn't seem too much like a children's TV series a la Harry Potter...

Actually they just LOOK older, technically they're not. Robb and Jon are 15, and in the first book and season, Sansa is only 13 - she says so when Cersei asks her how old she is, and whether she has "bled" yet, and she says No. It's only after she gets her period, a couple of seasons later, that her wedding to Joffrey is planned. But before it can go through... well, you know what happened. I however agree Robb, Jon and Sansa look older.

It's Catelyn, IMO, who looks older than she should. She should be in her early to mid-30's, and she looks well past 50. Looks like she could be Bran's grandmother instead of mother.

There are enough "real" children, though. Arya, Bran, Rickon, Gendry....
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
... She also says that Rob Stark's wife was not at the Red Wedding and there was no mention of her being killed or even pregnant....

True.

I just read the Red Wedding for the second time.

It occurred to me today, in light of the brutality of the Red Wedding and the fact that many readers stopped reading at that point, that it might be kinder to spoil the Red Wedding for people. There are many foreshadowings if you know to look for them, but it's quite a shock if you don't.

Just thinking maybe people would continue the read if they knew something bad like that was coming.
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: The Red Wedding Reply with quote

I didn't realise that lots of people stopped reading after the red wedding thing.. so yes Laurelluin it might be a good idea if people were forewarned so they wouldn't be so shocked and keep reading after that part...
Mr. Write

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Red Wedding Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
I didn't realise that lots of people stopped reading after the red wedding thing.. so yes Laurelluin it might be a good idea if people were forewarned so they wouldn't be so shocked and keep reading after that part...

I'm one of the ones who did. I wondered whether it would be the same with the series, whether people would stop watching. But they didn't. I keep watching, but I never got back to reading...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: