AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Dragons
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: A Dragon Expert, am I? Reply with quote

Well it all depends on what works you’re referencing, as every author who imagines dragons imagines them differently.

On Pern, the dragons come in five different colors, but all are telepathic, and they were bred to breathe fire on an inimical organic substance called “Thread” that threatens the planet.

In HP, there are many different types of dragons such as Welsh Green, Chinese Fireball, Peruvian Vipertooth, Hebridean Black, Norwegian Ridgeback, OpalEye and of course the Hungarian Horntail that Harry got to play with in the GoF challenge. The Opaleye is from Australia, Julie, you should have got one to ride in Quidditch though your Scottish Plaid is too cool.

Like Julie’s Scottish Plaid, my Everand Copper is a breed I just made up, though people are continually mistaking Firioth for a Pernese bronze. This confuses her gender as well as her breed, as bronzes are always males and Firi is a female.

Of the dragons in Naomi Novak’s works I do not feel qualified to speak, as I only read the first book and didn’t much care for it. The idea of soldiers crawling around on a dragon’s back with guns and bombs and such just didn’t appeal to me much.

When I was young I played Dungeons and Dragons, and the dragons were also told apart primarily by color. Red ones breathed fire, green ones lived in forests and breathed acid, white ones breathed ice, the gold ones were the good and wise dragons but I don’t remember what the breath weapon was supposed to be. There were also blue, black, silver, platinum and several other colors but I forget the details (as Hagrid would say).

With How to Train Your Dragon, well there are differences between the movie and the books (as usual). Toothless herself was a NightFury if I recall correctly in the movie, but in the book she is a Common Green Garden dragon and no-one is impressed with her or Hiccup until they trick the really big dragons that come to mess up their Thing. I’m talking about the Viking Thing, which is a big meeting of several Viking clans where competitions are set up and alliances are made or broken. It really is called a Thing, which proves that Norwegians have more weird traditions than just lutefisk.

In Middle Earth (Tolkien’s works) dragons are evil creatures created by Morgoth to wreak havoc on the Elves of the First Age. I believe the first dragon was called Glaurung the Golden and the fiercest one was Ancalagon the Black, but I might be misremembering the Silmarillion there. Smaug was a Red Dragon of the Northern mountains, and my mostly invented White Ice Dragon is not a type you will actually find in J.R.R.T.’s works. The crushing ice is in the Sil, but there is no mention there of ice dragons.

Melanie Rawn wrote two trilogies full of dragons that breed in the Desert, but migrate to the mountains and river valleys elsewhere on their continent through the turnings of the seasons. Each has two colors, and they communicate with one another in a mental language of colors, emotions and images rather than words. When they try to communicate with telepathic humans in this language, the human brain explodes with pain from the neurosensory overload. The images come too fast, and the colors and emotions are too intense for humans to handle.

The Biblical monsters known as Behemoth and Leviathan are thought by many to be legendary dragons. To me, they are dinosaurs, just known by other names before Madame Curie found the famous iguanodon tooth. Behemoth’s description resembles that of the sauropods like brachiosaurus or diplodocus, and Leviathan is perhaps an ichthyosaur, or a pliosaur. Then there is the new ginormous whale-dinosaur that has actually been named Leviathan, found in 2010. Of course young-earthers like me believe that these co-existed with humans, and that is where dragon myths came from in the first place. But most people believe that the monstrous Leviathan is from twelve million years ago, so y’all should probably go with that as my absolute-Biblical-Truth stand puzzles you a bit. 

I’ve read about dragons in scattered other works, but I really feel I should know more about Fafnir and other ancient dragons before I could claim the title of “expert.” This ^ is as much as I could come up with off the top of my head.
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
Eowyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A Dragon Expert, am I? Reply with quote

Oh yes you are! ten

Laurelluin wrote:
I’ve read about dragons in scattered other works, but I really feel I should know more about Fafnir and other ancient dragons before I could claim the title of “expert.” This ^ is as much as I could come up with off the top of my head.

Wow! That's loads more than I could ever think of. I'm more than impressed, I'm bowled over!!

Is Fafnir an ancient dragon? I didn't know that. It's the name of a dragon in a French comic strip called "Johan et Pirlouit". I remember the name, but not the story, who Fafnir belongs to and what he does...

Like Inkling, I'm dragon-illiterate. Embarassed
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Fafnir Reply with quote

Fafnir is the legendary dragon in Norse mythology.

Other than that the Vikings were terrified of him, I don't know much.

I should, too, being fourth-generation quarter-Norwegian. Embarassed But I don't.

I just know that he features prominently in certain portions of Wagner's opera (The Ring?).
The Turning Tower
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Harry Potter dragons Reply with quote

Mainly because I currently cant find my (physical) Termiare book I happened to come across Fantastic Beasts and where to Find Them. there are ten dragons in the Harry Potter land it does say that sometimes that two different species will mate and create a hybrid but these are rare (so presumably they don't then interbreed and create completely different species. I have put assuming next to some of them as it never specifically stats where they are from.

Antipodean Opaleye - New Zealand
Chinese Fireball/Liondragon - China
Common Welsh Green - Wales
Hebridean Black - Briton
Hungarian Horntail - (assuming) Hungary
Norwegian Ridgeback - (assuming) Norway
Peruvian Vipertooth - (assuming) Peru
Romanian Longhorn - (assuming) Romania
Swedish Short-Snout - (assuming) Sweden
Ukrainian Ironbelly - Ukraine

This to me kind of leads to more questions if there is a short snout was there once a long snout? I guess I am asking questions I will never know the answer to but I am not quite curious as to what dragon HRH flew out of Gringots. Any thoughts?

Find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stacey.corner.37 please send me a message first so I know it is you Smile

Proud to be a
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Dragons Reply with quote

I believe the opal eye dragon would be Australian as they have the best opal mines in the world there and I don't think there are any opal mines at all in New Zealand as the country is not not dry enough.... super grin
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Opeleye Reply with quote

This is taken directly from FBAWTFT

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them wrote:
The Opaleye is a native of New Zeland, though it has been known to migrate to Australia when territory becomes scarce in its native land. Unusually for a dragon, it dwells in valleys rather than mountains. It is of medium size (between two and three tonnes). Perhaps the most beautiful type of dragon. it has iridescent, pearly scales and glittering, multi-colored, pupil-less eyes, hence its name. This dragon produces a very vivid scarlet flame, though by dragon standard it is not particularly aggressive and will rarely kill humans unless hungry. Its favorite food is sheep, though it has been known to attack larger prey. A spate of Kangaroo killings in late 1970s were attributed to a male Opaleye ousted from his homeland by a dominant female. Opaleye eggs are pale grey and my be mistaking as fossils by unwary muggles.

So definitely New Zeland and it gets it name from its eyes however I didn't know that opals came from Australia.

Find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stacey.corner.37 please send me a message first so I know it is you Smile

Proud to be a
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Opals and dragons Reply with quote

Australia has been producing 80% of the worlds opals for decades and is generally known to produce the best quality opals and some excellent rare ones. Other countries opals have been classed as second rate including New Zealand which has only one or two mines which have been nearly exhausted. New Zealand however does produce an excellent jade type greenstone as well as a few other semi precious stuff which is very beautiful. So the antipodean dragons opal eyes wouldn't be the best quality if they came from New Zealand... super grin
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Antipodean and Swedish Dragons Reply with quote

New Zealand, AussieLand, same diff to an iggerant Northern Hemispherean Wink

Back to dragons...

I would think that the Swedish Shortsnout is called that not because there was once a Swedish Longsnout, but rather because it has a shorter snout than any other dragon. That's just my inferrance, though. Cool
The Turning Tower
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: