AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Dragons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asteria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Dragons Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
I am thinking I should start a dragon thread to discuss the pros and cons of different dragons in various books Laughing

Great idea. ten However, I suggest that before you do that, you take a look at the discussions on dragons, around the Dragon Quidditch thread and the DQ commentaries. Some of the members and players know an awful lot about dragons. shameless grin
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Dragon thread? Where? Reply with quote

Where is this new dragon thread of which you speak? I never tire of talking of dragons! There are not many subjects that can top dragons in the list of things i like to discuss!

Draco dormiens non titillandum...
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
Asteria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dragon thread? Where? Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:
Where is this new dragon thread of which you speak? I never tire of talking of dragons! There are not many subjects that can top dragons in the list of things i like to discuss!

Draco dormiens non titillandum...

It hasn't been opened yet, sjcuk13 only talked about opening one, she hasn't done it yet, nor has anyone else.

You're welcome to do so if you so wish. Very Happy
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Dragon thread? Where? Reply with quote

Despite me Loving to see my username as the author of a thread Smile I have no idea where I put it or how to start it really ..... is now wondering if we can rename this thread .... is now off on a tangent....

Sorry back now.

Flure: The Inheritance Cycle is such a good series however in my opinion the first book is slow to start and the third book is ..... tedious, however I would still recommend the books to anyone.

The beginning of Dragonflight that I have says:
Introduction wrote:
When is a legend a legend? Why is a myth a myth? How old and disused must a fact be for it to be relegated to the category "Fairy-tail"? And why do certain facts remain incontrovertible while other lose their validity to assume a shabby, unstable character?

I am only about 50 pages into dragon flight currently but I hope to sort that out soon Smile

Find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stacey.corner.37 please send me a message first so I know it is you Smile

Proud to be a
[/color]
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dragon thread? Where? Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
Despite me Loving to see my username as the author of a thread Smile I have no idea where I put it or how to start it really ..... is now wondering if we can rename this thread .... is now off on a tangent....

Instead of renaming the thread, I've splitted it from "His Majesty's Dragon" - which actually should also be renamed, as we went from Earth to Pern in the discussion. super grin

Now the thread starter is Asteria. Very Happy

Stacey, to start a new thread, you just click on "New thread" which is on the upper left, right above the list of threads in any sub-forum.

Anyway, now that I've splitted the previous thread, we can discuss Dragons here. Compare the different dragons in different universes, the various breeds, the breeds used in Dragon Quidditch, winged dragons versus unwinged (Asian) dragons, etc.
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Databases? Reply with quote

I knew how to start the thread but "splitting"? I have no idea about Smile

I would say to start with naming the breeds Smile I cant see this causing any major spoilers Smile

Flure: You said you had pictures in the back of His Majesty's Dragon can you post them on here it would be interesting to see Smile

Find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stacey.corner.37 please send me a message first so I know it is you Smile

Proud to be a
[/color]
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Databases? Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
I knew how to start the thread but "splitting"? I have no idea about Smile

Any member can start a thread, but only a Mod can split threads, so you don't have to have any idea about it. It's useful when the debate goes way off-topic.

Of course, everyone can split hairs, LOL!!!

Quote:
I would say to start with naming the breeds Smile I cant see this causing any major spoilers Smile

That's a good idea. Laurelluin is our big Dragon Expert here, maybe she can start naming the breeds. She did that in the Dragon Quidditch thread.

Quote:
Fleur: You said you had pictures in the back of His Majesty's Dragon can you post them on here it would be interesting to see Smile

Aah, it's too much work scanning the pictures, then uploading them here - I'd have to put them on Photobucket first, or post them in a personal album. It's better to go with the pics we already have, there are some in Witchsmart's and Laurelluin's albums here on AV.
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Breads Reply with quote

The series I can think of off the top of my head that have dragons in them are:
    Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini - Eragon etc

His Majesty's Dragon series by Naomi Novik - His Majesty's Dragon etc.

Pern by Anne McCaffrey - Dragonflight etc.

The Harry Potter series by J K Rowling - Harry potter and the Sorcerers Stone etc.

The Last Dragon Cronicals by Chris D'Lacey - The fire Within etc

Thinking about theses I am now thinking that only HMD has breads all the others don't or not really. In IC they are quite equal with the exception of the knowledge that they have. LDC don't so much have breads but types ones with specific jobs so a guard dragon will guard the house where as a book dragon would never guard the house and Pern again all dragons seam equal with the exception as to what color they are.

Proud to be a
[/color]
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Dragons Reply with quote

The Hobbit also has a rather well-known dragon in it... Smug.... super grin

I however am rather a dragon ignoramus....LOL

Oops I did type in Smaug but the computer changed to Smug and I didn't notice..... However when you think about it Asteria he was rather a smug dragon wasn't he..... I wonder what smug actually means and where Tolkien got the name from?

Last edited by inkling7 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Asteria

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dragons Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
The Hobbit also has a rather well-known dragon in it... Smug.... super grin

I however am rather a dragon ignoramus....LOL

Isn't his name "Smaug", or did you write "Smug" on purpose, becoz he's a smug dragon? confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: