AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Dragons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asteria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Dragons Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
I am thinking I should start a dragon thread to discuss the pros and cons of different dragons in various books Laughing

Great idea. ten However, I suggest that before you do that, you take a look at the discussions on dragons, around the Dragon Quidditch thread and the DQ commentaries. Some of the members and players know an awful lot about dragons. shameless grin
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Dragon thread? Where? Reply with quote

Where is this new dragon thread of which you speak? I never tire of talking of dragons! There are not many subjects that can top dragons in the list of things i like to discuss!

Draco dormiens non titillandum...
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
Asteria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dragon thread? Where? Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:
Where is this new dragon thread of which you speak? I never tire of talking of dragons! There are not many subjects that can top dragons in the list of things i like to discuss!

Draco dormiens non titillandum...

It hasn't been opened yet, sjcuk13 only talked about opening one, she hasn't done it yet, nor has anyone else.

You're welcome to do so if you so wish. Very Happy
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Dragon thread? Where? Reply with quote

Despite me Loving to see my username as the author of a thread Smile I have no idea where I put it or how to start it really ..... is now wondering if we can rename this thread .... is now off on a tangent....

Sorry back now.

Flure: The Inheritance Cycle is such a good series however in my opinion the first book is slow to start and the third book is ..... tedious, however I would still recommend the books to anyone.

The beginning of Dragonflight that I have says:
Introduction wrote:
When is a legend a legend? Why is a myth a myth? How old and disused must a fact be for it to be relegated to the category "Fairy-tail"? And why do certain facts remain incontrovertible while other lose their validity to assume a shabby, unstable character?

I am only about 50 pages into dragon flight currently but I hope to sort that out soon Smile

Find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stacey.corner.37 please send me a message first so I know it is you Smile

Proud to be a
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dragon thread? Where? Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
Despite me Loving to see my username as the author of a thread Smile I have no idea where I put it or how to start it really ..... is now wondering if we can rename this thread .... is now off on a tangent....

Instead of renaming the thread, I've splitted it from "His Majesty's Dragon" - which actually should also be renamed, as we went from Earth to Pern in the discussion. super grin

Now the thread starter is Asteria. Very Happy

Stacey, to start a new thread, you just click on "New thread" which is on the upper left, right above the list of threads in any sub-forum.

Anyway, now that I've splitted the previous thread, we can discuss Dragons here. Compare the different dragons in different universes, the various breeds, the breeds used in Dragon Quidditch, winged dragons versus unwinged (Asian) dragons, etc.
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Databases? Reply with quote

I knew how to start the thread but "splitting"? I have no idea about Smile

I would say to start with naming the breeds Smile I cant see this causing any major spoilers Smile

Flure: You said you had pictures in the back of His Majesty's Dragon can you post them on here it would be interesting to see Smile

Find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stacey.corner.37 please send me a message first so I know it is you Smile

Proud to be a
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Databases? Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
I knew how to start the thread but "splitting"? I have no idea about Smile

Any member can start a thread, but only a Mod can split threads, so you don't have to have any idea about it. It's useful when the debate goes way off-topic.

Of course, everyone can split hairs, LOL!!!

Quote:
I would say to start with naming the breeds Smile I cant see this causing any major spoilers Smile

That's a good idea. Laurelluin is our big Dragon Expert here, maybe she can start naming the breeds. She did that in the Dragon Quidditch thread.

Quote:
Fleur: You said you had pictures in the back of His Majesty's Dragon can you post them on here it would be interesting to see Smile

Aah, it's too much work scanning the pictures, then uploading them here - I'd have to put them on Photobucket first, or post them in a personal album. It's better to go with the pics we already have, there are some in Witchsmart's and Laurelluin's albums here on AV.
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Breads Reply with quote

The series I can think of off the top of my head that have dragons in them are:
    Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini - Eragon etc

His Majesty's Dragon series by Naomi Novik - His Majesty's Dragon etc.

Pern by Anne McCaffrey - Dragonflight etc.

The Harry Potter series by J K Rowling - Harry potter and the Sorcerers Stone etc.

The Last Dragon Cronicals by Chris D'Lacey - The fire Within etc

Thinking about theses I am now thinking that only HMD has breads all the others don't or not really. In IC they are quite equal with the exception of the knowledge that they have. LDC don't so much have breads but types ones with specific jobs so a guard dragon will guard the house where as a book dragon would never guard the house and Pern again all dragons seam equal with the exception as to what color they are.

Proud to be a
inkling7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Dragons Reply with quote

The Hobbit also has a rather well-known dragon in it... Smug.... super grin

I however am rather a dragon ignoramus....LOL

Oops I did type in Smaug but the computer changed to Smug and I didn't notice..... However when you think about it Asteria he was rather a smug dragon wasn't he..... I wonder what smug actually means and where Tolkien got the name from?

Last edited by inkling7 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Asteria

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dragons Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
The Hobbit also has a rather well-known dragon in it... Smug.... super grin

I however am rather a dragon ignoramus....LOL

Isn't his name "Smaug", or did you write "Smug" on purpose, becoz he's a smug dragon? confused
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: A Dragon Expert, am I? Reply with quote

Well it all depends on what works you’re referencing, as every author who imagines dragons imagines them differently.

On Pern, the dragons come in five different colors, but all are telepathic, and they were bred to breathe fire on an inimical organic substance called “Thread” that threatens the planet.

In HP, there are many different types of dragons such as Welsh Green, Chinese Fireball, Peruvian Vipertooth, Hebridean Black, Norwegian Ridgeback, OpalEye and of course the Hungarian Horntail that Harry got to play with in the GoF challenge. The Opaleye is from Australia, Julie, you should have got one to ride in Quidditch though your Scottish Plaid is too cool.

Like Julie’s Scottish Plaid, my Everand Copper is a breed I just made up, though people are continually mistaking Firioth for a Pernese bronze. This confuses her gender as well as her breed, as bronzes are always males and Firi is a female.

Of the dragons in Naomi Novak’s works I do not feel qualified to speak, as I only read the first book and didn’t much care for it. The idea of soldiers crawling around on a dragon’s back with guns and bombs and such just didn’t appeal to me much.

When I was young I played Dungeons and Dragons, and the dragons were also told apart primarily by color. Red ones breathed fire, green ones lived in forests and breathed acid, white ones breathed ice, the gold ones were the good and wise dragons but I don’t remember what the breath weapon was supposed to be. There were also blue, black, silver, platinum and several other colors but I forget the details (as Hagrid would say).

With How to Train Your Dragon, well there are differences between the movie and the books (as usual). Toothless herself was a NightFury if I recall correctly in the movie, but in the book she is a Common Green Garden dragon and no-one is impressed with her or Hiccup until they trick the really big dragons that come to mess up their Thing. I’m talking about the Viking Thing, which is a big meeting of several Viking clans where competitions are set up and alliances are made or broken. It really is called a Thing, which proves that Norwegians have more weird traditions than just lutefisk.

In Middle Earth (Tolkien’s works) dragons are evil creatures created by Morgoth to wreak havoc on the Elves of the First Age. I believe the first dragon was called Glaurung the Golden and the fiercest one was Ancalagon the Black, but I might be misremembering the Silmarillion there. Smaug was a Red Dragon of the Northern mountains, and my mostly invented White Ice Dragon is not a type you will actually find in J.R.R.T.’s works. The crushing ice is in the Sil, but there is no mention there of ice dragons.

Melanie Rawn wrote two trilogies full of dragons that breed in the Desert, but migrate to the mountains and river valleys elsewhere on their continent through the turnings of the seasons. Each has two colors, and they communicate with one another in a mental language of colors, emotions and images rather than words. When they try to communicate with telepathic humans in this language, the human brain explodes with pain from the neurosensory overload. The images come too fast, and the colors and emotions are too intense for humans to handle.

The Biblical monsters known as Behemoth and Leviathan are thought by many to be legendary dragons. To me, they are dinosaurs, just known by other names before Madame Curie found the famous iguanodon tooth. Behemoth’s description resembles that of the sauropods like brachiosaurus or diplodocus, and Leviathan is perhaps an ichthyosaur, or a pliosaur. Then there is the new ginormous whale-dinosaur that has actually been named Leviathan, found in 2010. Of course young-earthers like me believe that these co-existed with humans, and that is where dragon myths came from in the first place. But most people believe that the monstrous Leviathan is from twelve million years ago, so y’all should probably go with that as my absolute-Biblical-Truth stand puzzles you a bit. 

I’ve read about dragons in scattered other works, but I really feel I should know more about Fafnir and other ancient dragons before I could claim the title of “expert.” This ^ is as much as I could come up with off the top of my head.
The Turning Tower
Eowyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A Dragon Expert, am I? Reply with quote

Oh yes you are! ten

Laurelluin wrote:
I’ve read about dragons in scattered other works, but I really feel I should know more about Fafnir and other ancient dragons before I could claim the title of “expert.” This ^ is as much as I could come up with off the top of my head.

Wow! That's loads more than I could ever think of. I'm more than impressed, I'm bowled over!!

Is Fafnir an ancient dragon? I didn't know that. It's the name of a dragon in a French comic strip called "Johan et Pirlouit". I remember the name, but not the story, who Fafnir belongs to and what he does...

Like Inkling, I'm dragon-illiterate. Embarassed
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Fafnir Reply with quote

Fafnir is the legendary dragon in Norse mythology.

Other than that the Vikings were terrified of him, I don't know much.

I should, too, being fourth-generation quarter-Norwegian. Embarassed But I don't.

I just know that he features prominently in certain portions of Wagner's opera (The Ring?).
The Turning Tower
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Harry Potter dragons Reply with quote

Mainly because I currently cant find my (physical) Termiare book I happened to come across Fantastic Beasts and where to Find Them. there are ten dragons in the Harry Potter land it does say that sometimes that two different species will mate and create a hybrid but these are rare (so presumably they don't then interbreed and create completely different species. I have put assuming next to some of them as it never specifically stats where they are from.

Antipodean Opaleye - New Zealand
Chinese Fireball/Liondragon - China
Common Welsh Green - Wales
Hebridean Black - Briton
Hungarian Horntail - (assuming) Hungary
Norwegian Ridgeback - (assuming) Norway
Peruvian Vipertooth - (assuming) Peru
Romanian Longhorn - (assuming) Romania
Swedish Short-Snout - (assuming) Sweden
Ukrainian Ironbelly - Ukraine

This to me kind of leads to more questions if there is a short snout was there once a long snout? I guess I am asking questions I will never know the answer to but I am not quite curious as to what dragon HRH flew out of Gringots. Any thoughts?

Proud to be a
inkling7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Dragons Reply with quote

I believe the opal eye dragon would be Australian as they have the best opal mines in the world there and I don't think there are any opal mines at all in New Zealand as the country is not not dry enough.... super grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: