AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
His Majesty's Dragon and the Dragons of Pern
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyanna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sage? Read alternate history? don't make me laugh... Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:
Sage doesn't read fiction. Full stop.

He sounds like UnMask, who only reads biographies and history, "because I know how it ends". Rolling Eyes Strictly non-fiction. That, and newspapers.

Bill (MY Bill, of course, not Muggle Magic) was a bit like that too, but I did manage to have him read the first 3 Harry Potter books, then he stopped at Goblet of Fire. I also convinced him to read books that I liked, like "Man on Fire". And he did read James Bond books, and novels about planes and pilots, having served in the Air Force way back when. He would have loved The Guns of the South, he and UnMask both being Civil War buffs.

UnMask will discuss the books I read with me, but he won't read fiction. On the other hand, he writes beautiful songs that he sings to me, but that's a different matter.

As to my own reading, I decided to go with Harry Turtledove's WW2 series, I just ordered the 4 volumes of The War That Came Early from Amazon, I should have them by the end of the week.

Will report on the "Books you've read lately" thread, since this is a far cry from His Majesty's Dragon.
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Temeraire Reply with quote

I cant argue with your interpretation of Laruance but in his defense say that he is a product of his upbringing and his navy training, however at one point Laruence does get a female superior (I hope this is not classed as a spoiler) and he obeys her orders without question but does question some male superiors officers order (but still follows them)

Yes Temeraire is spoilt but not the worst you will see by a long shot. It is much more preferable than to see the dragons mistreated.

The books that are set in Africa and Australia have some slavery but they are probably not what you are thinking, especially the Australia one.

What is Pern?
Also the bit that you whited out would be nice to discuss as well when we are all not shouting spoilers Smile

Find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stacey.corner.37 please send me a message first so I know it is you Smile

Proud to be a
Lyanna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Pern Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
What is Pern?

Pern is the planet where the adventures of Anne McCaffrey's The Dragonriders of Pern take place.

The first books are Dragonflight and Dragonquest, I believe. There's a whole series of them. Laurelluin, Asteria and I, among others, are Pern fans, and I really like the dragons and the human characters. We got some of the Pern dragons in on the Dragon Quidditch match, and I even introduced Lessa, the heroine of the series (at least the first book) in the DQ game by having her drop in on the Hogwarts Quidditch's commentator booth, LOL.

They've been around for a while, I think the first books go back to the 1980's, if not the 1970's, but since it's science fiction/fantasy it doesn't matter.

A bit like the Heralds of Valdemar with their Companions, the Pern dragonriders have a telepathic link with their mounts, as well as a strong emotional bond. The dragons can "speak" among themselves, and some of them can communicate with humans other than their riders.

You should try them. It's fun to compare those with the Temeraire dragons. Very Happy
Lyanna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Temeraire's "crusade" Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
Also the bit that you whited out would be nice to discuss as well when we are all not shouting spoilers Smile

Yes, I'd like to discuss that very much. Back on CoS, I had started a thread on the subject, which was very popular. Then Morgoth or some other Admin zapped it as part of their general war against AV in general and Bill and me in particular. In this case, me. But they also zapped Bill's Dragon Quidditch threads and his The Funnies social group, so... For a wonder, last I looked (must have been last year), my Translators social group was still around, but rather dormant.

This, however, is all off-topic. But as Laurelluin has read only one Temeraire book and will complain if we spoil it for her, we'll wait a bit until we discuss that matter. super grin
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: A new book to read Reply with quote

I have now ran (not literally) off to amazon and bought the first book of Pern for my kindle so as soon as I have finished Tongues of Serpents I will be reading that I have to say I have read the first paragraph I really like how it starts Very Happy hopefully this will carry on.

The telepathy link sounds a bit like the Eragon dragons but they can also speak to other people as well.

I am thinking I should start a dragon thread to discuss the pros and cons of different dragons in various books Laughing

Find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stacey.corner.37 please send me a message first so I know it is you Smile

Proud to be a
Wildflower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: A new book to read Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
I have now ran (not literally) off to amazon and bought the first book of Pern for my kindle so as soon as I have finished Tongues of Serpents I will be reading that I have to say I have read the first paragraph I really like how it starts Very Happy hopefully this will carry on.

Oh, super! I hope you'll like it!

I don't remember the whole of the first paragraph, but I do remember the first sentence: "Lessa woke, cold." And of course I remember what woke her and what happened next. Cool

Quote:
The telepathy link sounds a bit like the Eragon dragons but they can also speak to other people as well.

I haven't read the Eragon series. Sad

Quote:
I am thinking I should start a dragon thread to discuss the pros and cons of different dragons in various books Laughing

That's a good idea! That should bring at least Laurelluin and Witchsmart into the discussion! Very Happy
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Dragonflight Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
The beginning of Dragonflight that I have says:
Introduction wrote:
When is a legend a legend? Why is a myth a myth? How old and disused must a fact be for it to be relegated to the category "Fairy-tale"? And why do certain facts remain incontrovertible while other lose their validity to assume a shabby, unstable character?

I am only about 50 pages into dragon flight currently but I hope to sort that out soon Smile

Hmm. I had forgotten that there was an introduction. Does the body of the story itself begin with "Lessa woke, cold"? For some reason that sentence stuck in my mind. Lessa was sleeping in the great hall of the castle, and I think what woke her were the guard dogs or whatever animals the Pernese used as such (I don't remember the name) were stirring because they heard approching dragons. It was F'lar and his riders "riding in Search". The rest, as they say, is history.
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Dragonflight Reply with quote

Yes the main body of the text does start with "Leesa was cold" however I very much got the impression that it is not because the Dragons are coming but something else entirely there is a throw-a-way bit in chapter four page 48 of my kindle edition "she halted for a moment, catching a sudden shallow breath. Was this the danger she had sensed four days ago at dawn? the final encounter in her struggle to regain the Hold?No, Lessa cautioned herself, there was more to that portent than revenge.

This to me suggests that she didn't get the warning because of the dragons, however as I haven't gotten much further in to the book I could be completely wrong and barking up the wrong tree Smile, so far I have no idea why she gets these warnings, why she wants the Hold back (yes it might be her birth wright but why does she want it) or why she is doing it in such an underhanded way that she has so far she has killed (or had a hand in their deaths) at least 7/8 people.

Proud to be a
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dragonflight Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
Yes the main body of the text does start with "Leesa was cold" however I very much got the impression that it is not because the Dragons are coming but something else entirely there is a throw-a-way bit in chapter four page 48 of my kindle edition "she halted for a moment, catching a sudden shallow breath. Was this the danger she had sensed four days ago at dawn? the final encounter in her struggle to regain the Hold?No, Lessa cautioned herself, there was more to that portent than revenge.

This to me suggests that she didn't get the warning because of the dragons, however as I haven't gotten much further in to the book I could be completely wrong and barking up the wrong tree Smile, so far I have no idea why she gets these warnings, why she wants the Hold back (yes it might be her birth wright but why does she want it) or why she is doing it in such an underhanded way that she has so far she has killed (or had a hand in their deaths) at least 7/8 people.

It's funny how that sentence "Lessa woke, cold" stuck in my mind, but I had forgotten a lot of other things. That the castle is called a "Hold", the name of the guard animals, and I had also forgotten that Lessa had killed anyone. I seem to remember it was her Hold, and it was taken away from her, but I can't recall the details. I do remember Jaxom but I won't do a spoiler by saying anything about him at this point.

Oh, and now I remember what had woken her and what she had "sensed". But that's one of the big twists in the story, so I won't say anything. Actually the guard beasts did NOT sound the alarm, as I recall, and for good reason, but that's another spoiler.
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: so far Reply with quote

I am only at chapter 8 now, she has her dragon but hasn't actually done anything but complain since.

Well I was right it wasn't what had woken her up ... I still have no idea what it was but my money at the moment is on the passing star.

I dont think I have met Jaxom yet or at least not by name.

The Hold protector are called watch-wher, at least I think that is what you meant. I also says that it was oblivious to whatever the warning is. in my mind this ether means that it will not affect it is therefor there is no point in worrying about it or the warning was meant for Lessa alone.

Proud to be a
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: