AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Rowling to write new Harry Potter movie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkling7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Rowling to write new Harry Potter movie Reply with quote

Rowling to write new Harry Potter movie
Date
September 13, 2013 - 8:40AM

Giles Hardie

Author JK Rowling has agreed to write a series of new movies set in the Harry Potter universe.

J.K. Rowling to pen new films
Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling is to make her screenwriting debut by penning a series of spin-off films set in the magical world of the British boy wizard.
Autoplay ONOFFVideo feedbackVideo settings
Harry Potter author JK Rowling is writing a series of spin-off films set in the magical world of the British boy wizard.

The first film will be called Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and will be based on a textbook of the same name used by Harry and his classmates at their school Hogwarts, Rowling said on her Facebook page.

I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it.

Within hours the entry had more than 50,000 'likes' and thousands of comments speaking of fans excitement and tears of joy.

Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint are unlikely to return for the next Harry Potter movie.
Set in New York and featuring magical zoologist Newt Scamander - the author of Harry's textbook - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them marks Rowling's screenwriting debut, two years after the final movie in the eight-part series spawned by her phenomenally successful novels.

"I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it," the 48-year-old said.

She pitched the idea herself after the US studio approached her about making Fantastic Beasts into a film.

"I thought it was a fun idea, but the idea of seeing Newt Scamander, the supposed author of Fantastic Beasts, realised by another writer was difficult," she wrote.

"Having lived for so long in my fictional universe, I feel very protective of it and I already knew a lot about Newt.

"As hardcore Harry Potter fans will know, I liked him so much that I even married his grandson, Rolf, to one of my favourite characters from the Harry Potter series, Luna Lovegood."

Luna proves Rowling's love for the characters ... Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
Rowling said the story was neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world.

"The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt's story will start in New York, 70 years before Harry's gets under way."

FULL STATEMENT FROM JK ROWLING

Warner Bros. announced on 12th September 2013 that J.K. Rowling would be making her screenwriting debut with 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them', the first in a new film series which is part of their expanded creative partnership with J.K. Rowling. The films will be inspired by Harry Potter's Hogwarts textbook of the same name, and will feature the book's fictitious author, Newt Scamander.

"It all started when Warner Bros. came to me with the suggestion of turning 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' into a film. I thought it was a fun idea, but the idea of seeing Newt Scamander, the supposed author of 'Fantastic Beasts', realized by another writer was difficult. Having lived for so long in my fictional universe, I feel very protective of it and I already knew a lot about Newt. As hard-core Harry Potter fans will know, I liked him so much that I even married his grandson, Rolf, to one of my favourite characters from the Harry Potter series, Luna Lovegood.

As I considered Warners' proposal, an idea took shape that I couldn't dislodge. That is how I ended up pitching my own idea for a film to Warner Bros.

Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world. The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt's story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry's gets underway.

I particularly want to thank Kevin Tsujihara of Warner Bros. for his support in this project, which would not have happened without him. I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it."

with AFP

Hmm should be interesting but I was unaware Newt was from the US and I have got and read that particular book too. I didn't think there would be very many fantastic beasts in New York super grin
Kerowyn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Reply with quote

The news have been posted in the Google Group, and one member was wondering whether the fact that JKR was writing the screenplay herself meant that "she has had enough of Steve Kloves rewriting her work to suit his own Harmonian/Snapefan heart", LOL. super grin

Another thinks that "It's not going to be like the Harry Potter stories" but rather "like the current crop of children's fantasy movies." We'll see.
Roar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rowling to write new Harry Potter movie Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Hmm should be interesting but I was unaware Newt was from the US and I have got and read that particular book too. I didn't think there would be very many fantastic beasts in New York super grin

New York City or New York State? Despite having a huge population, New York state has tons of wilderness, including a park which is as big as the state I live in. It also has part of a border in massive Lake Champlain, home of Nessie-like lake monster Champ. It really makes for a lovely view when I drive north, looking across the lake to the pristine blue-green mountain range in New York.

I suppose that if Newt came over to the U.S. from England he would have to land in New York City first, though.
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rowling to write new Harry Potter movie Reply with quote

Roar wrote:
inkling7 wrote:

New York City or New York State? Despite having a huge population, New York state has tons of wilderness, including a park which is as big as the state I live in. . .

And anyone who's watched The Tenth Kingdom knows that there are ways to get to the magical kingdoms of Cinderella, Snow White, trolls and dwarves and giants and everything from Central Park. shifty
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
Lost Elf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Newt and Rolf Scamander Reply with quote

Quote:
"As hardcore Harry Potter fans will know, I liked him so much that I even married his grandson, Rolf, to one of my favourite characters from the Harry Potter series, Luna Lovegood."

Ya know, I never realized the connection. By the time we learned the name of Luna's husband, I had forgotten all about his grandfather Newt! Embarassed

This could lead to identity crisis!
GypsyGirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rowling to write new Harry Potter movie Reply with quote

Roar wrote:
inkling7 wrote:

New York City or New York State? Despite having a huge population, New York state has tons of wilderness, including a park which is as big as the state I live in. It also has part of a border in massive Lake Champlain, home of Nessie-like lake monster Champ. It really makes for a lovely view when I drive north, looking across the lake to the pristine blue-green mountain range in New York.

I suppose that if Newt came over to the U.S. from England he would have to land in New York City first, though.

Newt Scamander is English. He went to Hogwarts and worked for the MoM as a 'lowly clerk'. He was offered the job of researching all the magical creatures there are and jumped at the chance to travel the globe having adventures.
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: New Movie Reply with quote

Just because it starts in the UK doesn't mean that it will be set in the UK.

I am quite looking forward to it myself. I just don't see how they can make a story out of the book, or even what style of movie.

As JK is writing it I would guess that fans will be fine no matter how she writes it.

Find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stacey.corner.37 please send me a message first so I know it is you Smile

Proud to be a
inkling7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rowling to write new Harry Potter movie Reply with quote

Apparently it starts out in New York the US not the UK but maybe only will be set there for a short while. It will be interesting to see how it pans out and if we will get more backstory on other characters from the HP books as quite a few of them like Voldemort, Dumbledore, McGonagall, Sprout, Flitwick et al would have been around then... super grin
The Shuttle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Newt Scamander movie Reply with quote

I dropped by CoS to see what they were saying about the movie. Here's the thread:

Newt Scamander
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: