AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
S.N.A.T.E.R.s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strawberry07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Snaters Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
I think Snape may have taken a little bit after his father in the end just like Harry had lots of both of his parents in him but more of Lily I suspect which why he didn't become a bully later on even though he was bullied when young by the Dursleys.

I think Snape took on his father's worst characteristics and amped them up x1000. After all, as far as we know, Snape's father was not a member of a genocidal hate group. After all, as far as we know, Snape's father never got anyone killed through callous indifference to human life.

Quote:
It is a well known fact that sometimes those who are bullied when young turn out to become bullies themselves and Snape did seem to be a victim of domestic violence even though it may not have been physical - mental abuse is also classed as domestic violence and constant arguments between his parents would have had an effect on him.

Perhaps. But it is no justification. And nor does it mean that Snape deserves sympathy and his victims no sympathy, but rather, censure for having a problem with his bullying behaviour. (As is the usual argument from Snapefen.) I've seen it argued that when Harry grew up, he realised how wrong he'd been about Snape, and how unfair to Snape he'd been and that he'd been childish in disliking Snape. uhh!

Quote:

I suppose that could have been instrumental in driving him into the Deatheater gang even though they weren't DE's at that time.

Or his own arrogance and desire to be important drove him to become a DE. Snape alone is responsible for his descent into terrorism. Nobody else. That was his choice and his responsibility alone.

Quote:
Snape was a weak character in many ways but strong in others but that doesn't excuse him from the way he treated Neville, Harry and Hermione and probably to a lesser extent Ron. It also doesn't excuse him from the fact he did favour Malfoy and his two idiot lackeys Dumb and Dumber - Crabbe and Goyle.

I agree. There are no excuses for Snape's DE crimes. There are no excuses for bullying children under his authority.

Quote:
At least towards the end of the series Snape did try and redeem himself somewhat as I remember him telling off the DE teachers installed at Hogwarts not to call any children Mudbloods but whether that was in the books or movies either I can't remember.

Snape did not forbid the Carrows from calling children "mudbloods". The Muggleborns students were not allowed to attend that year. Snape told a portrait not to use the word "mudblood". We do not see him standing up to the Carrows at all.
GypsyGirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Snapefen and Snaters Reply with quote

Snapefen views on Snape are really kind of interesting. Snapedom had an interesting discussion about Snape-Canon or Fanon at the beginning of August.
http://asylums.insanejournal.com/snapedom/294736.html
I think what has come through that is that they are admitting that it isn't Canon Snape that they love and worship. These are fanfic writers and what is coming through strongly is how much they dislike canon Snape. this post by Melusin_59 is typical;

Quote:
I shall be continuing my existing WIPs as they are - up to HBP compliant. (Although one of them could be re-edited and tweaked a bit to comply with DH (deeply horrible) canon). I do, however, have a plot bunny or two, as you well know, gnashing their teeth in earnest.

Plot wise, new canon is a challenge, but not an insurmountable one. As Snape's character was mangled beyond recognition in the last book, however, I can only assume the strain had finally got to him and/or he had been cursed (not just by the Author). So, in that respect, I shall be ignoring the blight on his character.

He will live on, I'm sure, although he will have a healthy respect for large snakes in the future.

I really find this attitude crazy. How can anyone say that an author who has stated over and over again that she created her character in his entirety before she wrote the books. She had all of her characters mapped first. To say that this author didn't know her own character and she didn't really understand him and they do goes beyond normality into the surreal. Their arrogance is staggering.
Strawberry07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Snapefen Reply with quote

GypsyGirl wrote:
I really find this attitude crazy. How can anyone say that an author who has stated over and over again that she created her character in his entirety before she wrote the books. She had all of her characters mapped first. To say that this author didn't know her own character and she didn't really understand him and they do goes beyond normality into the surreal. Their arrogance is staggering.

Laughing I'm guessing they're miffed that their precious "Severus" was rejected by someone he had racially abused. I'm guessing they're miffed that their precious "Severus" was killed off instead of defeating Voldemort personally and flouncing off into the sunset with an adoring Snapefen with no self-respect or desire to think for herself/disagree with him ever.

Although, having said that, I was also disappointed with the reveal about Snape's obsession with Lily. I had been hoping that if he was truly on Dumbledore's side, it was because he had finally learned right from wrong. Not because he got a well-deserved dose of his own medicine. But what we learned was in keeping with Snape's character throughout, so I suppose a thoroughly selfish motivation fits.
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Snapefen and Snaters Reply with quote

GypsyGirl wrote:
Snapefen views on Snape are really kind of interesting. Snapedom had an interesting discussion about Snape-Canon or Fanon at the beginning of August.
http://asylums.insanejournal.com/snapedom/294736.html
I think what has come through that is that they are admitting that it isn't Canon Snape that they love and worship. These are fanfic writers and what is coming through strongly is how much they dislike canon Snape. this post by Melusin_59 is typical;

Quote:
I shall be continuing my existing WIPs as they are - up to HBP compliant. (Although one of them could be re-edited and tweaked a bit to comply with DH (deeply horrible) canon). I do, however, have a plot bunny or two, as you well know, gnashing their teeth in earnest.

Plot wise, new canon is a challenge, but not an insurmountable one. As Snape's character was mangled beyond recognition in the last book, however, I can only assume the strain had finally got to him and/or he had been cursed (not just by the Author). So, in that respect, I shall be ignoring the blight on his character.

He will live on, I'm sure, although he will have a healthy respect for large snakes in the future.

GypsyGirl my dear, where are these arguments you refer to? When I click the link you provided, I get a page showing Insane Journal Snapefen discussing fans who don't get that Snape was a brave hero. I did a search for the screenname Melusin and it came up blank.

Is the discussion about Canon Snape being less than fanfic romance-worthy lower down on the page, or in something that needs expansion or something?

Also, forgive me but I'm not up on all the fanfic acronyms; can anyone tell me what WIP stands for? confused
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
GypsyGirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Snapefen and Snaters Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:
GypsyGirl my dear, where are these arguments you refer to? When I click the link you provided, I get a page showing Insane Journal Snapefen discussing fans who don't get that Snape was a brave hero. I did a search for the screenname Melusin and it came up blank.

Is the discussion about Canon Snape being less than fanfic romance-worthy lower down on the page, or in something that needs expansion or something?

Also, forgive me but I'm not up on all the fanfic acronyms; can anyone tell me what WIP stands for? confused

Sorry, I must have posted the wrong link. Try this one;

http://snapedom.livejournal.com/4400.html

I think WIP must stand for 'work in progress'. I don't know exactly where the fanfics in question are. I couldn't be bothered looking for them.
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Sick Snape FanFic. Reply with quote

Yes, thank you; that must be it.

The link you posted earlier led to InsaneJournal Snapefendom, which was also very entertaining in a disturbing sort of way. Like shipping Snape with Lupin, or Snupin. very upset

And SWM leading to a simpering harem for the Prince, because James whisking off Sevvie's pants revealed "his impressive package." dead

I read the bit about the smilie gallery being un-updatable out on L'Avenue, but for this the hurling smilie is very much wanted.

Wink
The Turning Tower
Lost Elf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick Snape FanFic. Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:
And SWM leading to a simpering harem for the Prince, because James whisking off Sevvie's pants revealed "his impressive package." dead

Geez!!! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I read the bit about the smilie gallery being un-updatable out on L'Avenue, but for this the hurling smilie is very much wanted.

What's the "hurling smilie"? Can you copy it from whatever site has one? Here we do have a fighting smilie tough and there's a vomiting smilie in the Test subforum, in the Tessst thread.

This could lead to identity crisis!
Strawberry07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick Snape FanFic. Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:

And if we needed proof that Snapefen were deeply misogynist... Harem?? Because Snape's bigotry and criminal inclinations are a minor detail if you're impressed by his "package". Because the war, in which Snape wanted to fight for the murdering bigots, was a minor detail compared to Snape getting lots of sex. If not with Lily, then with self-insert fangirl characters, who wouldn't dream of challenging Sevviekins on who he wanted to murder. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

I think it would get a lot of use in this thread.
Lost Elf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick Snape FanFic. Reply with quote

Strawberry07 wrote:
Quote:

I think it would get a lot of use in this thread.

For Potter's sake, What. Is. The. Hurling.Smilie???? wonder

This could lead to identity crisis!
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Hurling Smiley Reply with quote

Like this:

Only with a Neutral or uhh! face instead of the blue big grin face doing the vomiting.
The Turning Tower
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: