AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Dragon Quidditch Game 2013 - Comments
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildflower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Dragon Quidditch Game 2013 - Comments Reply with quote

This thread is for comments on the game, that don't have to do with the moves on the game itself.

As Laurelluin said:

Quote:
I know it would be extra work, but I kind of wish the planning and chat thread were still open. It would be a better place for "asides" like my post about my dragons being female, and Julie's response to the post with the Quaffle landing in her hands. The comments interrupt the flow of the play, especially when writers end their posts with an ellipsis and then the next post is a comment instead of a continuation of gameplay.

I'm not saying everyone has to post in the game thread in the playwright style that Witchsmart, Asteria, and Kerowyn have used. I usually use a more prosy style myself. But this little thread-logistics issue is blocking my creativity something awful! I said I'd join the game on Tuesday but I haven't been able to get my brain past "Firioth has informed me (Rob) that *he* (smh) finds Farlith attractive." Firioth isn't technically Pernese; they don't come in copper.

The previous comment thread being rather long, I thought I'd open a new one. Easier to follow.

I could split some comments from it but, frankly, it's too much work and I don't have the time.

Do your best with what we have, and have fun!!! Very Happy

ETA: BTW, anyone who wants to open a new thread, like this one for comments on the game, or on any other topic is free to do so. This is not CoS, you don't need Mod approval to start a thread.

Of course if the thread is inappropriate it will get zapped, but I trust all our members are mature and smart enough not to start something that could be construed as "inappropriate" - our definition of such being broader than the one at CoS. Which is not very hard to achieve.
Cedric

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dragon Quidditch Game 2013 - Comments Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
This thread is for comments on the game, that don't have to do with the moves on the game itself.

I'm not sure it's such a good idea to separate the two. They make a whole. If the comments are on a different thread from the game, one would have to go back and forth to see what refers to what.

Though I readily admit that the gender of dragons has nothing to do with the game itself, Inkling's comment on her ability to handle her bat and the Quaffle are definitely relevant to the game.

Anyway, this is a free board. People can post what they like where they like as long as they stay on topic, right?

Just my opinion, for the two Knuts it's worth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: On or off topic Reply with quote

I agree that discussion on the gender, colour and breed of dragons, interesting as it is, and necessary at the start of the game, do detract from the game itself. The important thing is who scores how many goals and who catches the Snitch, yes?

But if we restrict the depiction of the game to the moves by the players, it's going to be a dry report. The flirting and the shenanigans are fun. I for one would like to know whether the pixie waitress will bring her friends in and pull some trick or other. What happens if a flock of pixies fly around a dragon and impede his game? Which sides are the pixies on? The fact that it's Fred who brings the first pixie in doesn't guarantee that they will all support the Reds and harass the Blues.
Kerowyn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Dragon Quidditch Game 2013 - Comments Reply with quote

People, it seems to me that, despite all the kabooms and hullaballoos, this game is kind of sluggish. After having hollered high and low for a DQ game, and declaring themselves raring to go, relatively few people post. Despite some valiant efforts from a few aficionados, days pass without a single post.

Laurelluin, you were the most enthusiastic about this, where are you? Hope your creativity has been unblocked, we need members to participate more.
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Quidditch Game 2013 - Comments Reply with quote

Laurelluin's real life has taken over loads of spare time. Between having my daughters at my home 24/7 this month and trying to find a better job, downtime is exceedingly rare. If we could have started July 1st, I'd have been here five days a week for one to six hours at a stretch! I do apologize for my lack of particapatory time. Sad

Plus it's hard to know what to do when my Beater's mount was for some reason charging after the Quaffle instead of a Bludger. Now that I've collided with Roar and Smaug, I'm not even sure how badly I'm hurt.

Maybe it would help if posters would read the rules? We've had lots of dragon-ball contact with very few penaties called for it! Snape either is being lazy or doesn't know which team to favor...
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
Kerowyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Quidditch Game 2013 - Comments Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:
Maybe it would help if posters would read the rules? We've had lots of dragon-ball contact with very few penaties called for it! Snape either is being lazy or doesn't know which team to favor...

Use your imagination about your injuries if any. Something that lets you get back into the game.

Maybe you could have Snape sternly remind the players of the rules. It's true that they seem not to have memorized them too well, tsk tsk...

Let's try to move on and have a good game before everybody has to go back to school or work or whatever RL has for them.

It's really too bad we couldn't get more participants who had played the game on CoS. Capt Mills would have been a great addition and also people like Morning Star and... the other names escape me, but I think some of them are still active on CoS...
inkling7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Comments Reply with quote

Can't observers make a comment about the game and what happens? Surely it can't be only the players and commentators and referees that say what happens? I thought we might get Wildflowers et al to say what is going on too... I haven't seen many comments from some of the players either. But then as I am new to the game I'm not sure what should be going on... super grin

Silly dyslexic fingers - yes I meant comment...LOL super grin

Last edited by inkling7 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kerowyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Can't observers make a commit about the game and what happens? Surely it can't be only the players and commentators and referees that say what happens? I thought we might get Wildflowers et al to say what is going on too... I haven't seen many comments from some of the players either. But then as I am new to the game I'm not sure what should be going on... super grin

Everyone can and does comment (I guess that's what you mean by "commit"), Julie. Didn't you see, I came in many times, both as WF and as Kerowyn, as have Ravenstar and other non-players like the member named Cedric (the Cedric who posts is not the fictional Cedric who's a commentator). Gapeach also made an appearance with Piccolo. So members ARE following the game, and describing what they see.

You can get an idea of how we played the game before by going here: Dragon Quidditch Games and Festivities

Nice post, Laure! Very skillfully putting things back on track. ten

Let's just go on with the game from that post. You other players and spectators, please come in. Witchsmart, where are you? Calling for Witchsmart and Bill! And everyone else...
mimosa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments Reply with quote

Kerowyn wrote:
You can get an idea of how we played the game before by going here: Dragon Quidditch Games and Festivities

I went there and found those rules, which Laurelluin restated in the other thread, but it can't hurt to have them again:

Quote:
RULES FOR THE DRAGON-QUIDDITCH GAME:

From V8: we should add in a few rules about the dragons, For example, no bludgers should hit a dragon, dragons are not allowed to shoot flame, ice, acid, lightning, water, etc. (shouldn't be a problem, they are highly trained). Anyone else have any ideas?

From lilyrose:
1. Dragons aren't allowed to shoot flames, ice or whatever it is that they usually shoot.
2. Bludgers must not be aimed at dragons. Bludgers, however, may be aimed at the players or to distract them, as is usually the case.
3. The dragons aren't seekers and are not allowed to handle the snitch in any way.
4. The points system and all such game rules are followed just as in a regular game of Quidditch

I'm really sorry, I forgot about the dragons not being allowed to touch the quaffle or the snitch. Embarassed And yes, let's pick up from Laurelluin's great post. Very Happy
Muggle_Magic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: The pixie Reply with quote

Dunno what Fred meant to do by bringing in the pixie. We'll try to work her somehow into the game, but it's kind of a dangerous gambit. The referees are now on their toes, not to mention our players and commentators.

Just be extra careful if you use the pixie in the game.
gapeach1004

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: DQ - Piccolo Reply with quote

I'm watching Little Einsteins with my niece and there is a Piccolo-dactyl on the show. A pterodactyl with the body of a piccolo. (If you haven't noticed the piccolo is my favorite instrument).

Anyway…sorry I haven't been present for the Dragon Quidditch game. Piccolo here has been watching the entire thing.
mimosa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: DQ - Piccolo Reply with quote

gapeach1004 wrote:
Piccolo here has been watching the entire thing.

Just make sure he doesn't interfere like the pixie did and ends up witht he same fate. Eek

But I think we're safe, he's only been watching the game from the corner of one eye. His attention is all on Maily. Hearts
witchsmart

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: I'm back... Reply with quote

*ducks angry glares and rotten fruit*

I'm back...

I'm really sorry, everyone. I've just started a new semester at college and between moving in and getting ready for my first week of classes, I've been really busy. Things have settled down now, though, and I promise to be more active with the game from now on.

I also have an idea for sorting out the refs apparent distracted-ness, but you'll have to bear with me for a few posts. Smile
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Laure is a certified S.N.A.T.E.R. Reply with quote

*reads game thread*

Yikes. Tell Snape to leave my Jabberwock alone. Anyone who's read my posts on CoS knows I'd love to see the Jabberwock eat him as much as I enjoyed watching Nagini bite him again and again and again and again. One bite for every Muggleborn he ever said "mudblood" to when he was a slimy little Slytherin student at Hogwarts. Mad
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
Lost Elf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Laure is a certified S.N.A.T.E.R. Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:
Yikes. Tell Snape to leave my Jabberwock alone. Anyone who's read my posts on CoS knows I'd love to see the Jabberwock eat him as much as I enjoyed watching Nagini bite him again and again and again and again. One bite for every Muggleborn he ever said "mudblood" to when he was a slimy little Slytherin student at Hogwarts. Mad

That's what's god-moding is for. super grin

BTW, what does S.N.A.T.E.R. stand for? Snape what? confused

This could lead to identity crisis!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: