AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Books you've read lately
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Write

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Books you've read lately Reply with quote

Asian_Princess wrote:
Lyta wrote:
I've been rereading A.J. Quinnell's Man on Fire.

It's really one of the best action/adventure book I've ever read. Neither of the two movie adaptations do it justice.

I heartily recommend reading the book, and skipping the movies, even the one starring Denzel Washington. IMO, both movies are untrue to the book, which is a great pity.

I agree. It's probably the best action/adventure book around, made better by the emotional dimension (the attachment between the little girl and the worn, jaded, end-of-his-rope mercenary). The whole reason he became a "man on fire", which was unfortunately changed in both movies, but that's the reason that makes the book so great.

Agreement totally with Lyta and Asian Princess. This is a great book, it's a pity neither of the movie adaptations did it justice. Very Sad
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Books you've read lately: The Guns of the South Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
The Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove

Being a fan of "alternate history" stories, I noted and ordered several titles posted in the Ten Books game thread on that topic. I bought the one about the Napoleonic Wars being fought on dragonback, but I started with this one, where the South wins the Civil War thanks to the help of a bunch of South African white supremacists who supply the Confederacy with AK-47s.

I'm sorry I didn't discover this book when my husband was still alive. He was a Civil War buff and would have loved this. The book is meticulously researched, the characters (except of course the South Africans) did really exist, and everything is as per history (up to the point of course when history takes a new track), and this is not so much about the war as about the reason (at least the officially stated reason) for it, the abolition of slavery

I'm reviving the debate on this book, because I gave it to UnMask (also a Civil War buff) as a birthday present, and he is enjoying it too, so I'd like his take on it. Also, of course, the take of anyone who's read it. Very Happy

I've re-read the book a couple of times now, and I enjoyed it every single time. Cool
IAmNoHero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Books you've read lately: The Guns of the South Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
I've re-read the book a couple of times now, and I enjoyed it every single time. Cool

I've read it twice myself. It's a very well-written book, isn't it? And a very intelligent one. Fascinating, in fact.

Did you also read the same author's books on alternate WW1 and WW2? I thought them less interesting.
UnMask

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: I am hooked Reply with quote

I love the Guns of the South.
There are many reasons for the Civil war, but I am with the group that says it centered around Slavery.
The Southerners were really cruel to continue the system for so long.
I am on my phone so I'll come back later.

Smile
Wildflower

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: The Guns of the South Reply with quote

Sure, abolition of slavery was the reason given, and the reason that all those soldiers fought. It was the more cynical powers-that-be who had the economic and political reasons to send those soldiers to war.

From this book, and from books like "Gone with the Wind", I have the impression that the South was actually moving towards abolition. It would have taken more time, probably, and met a lot of resistance, but that was really the way of the future.

As you progress in the book, you'll see that that's Harry Turtledove's theory and belief.
Wildflower

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Books you've read lately Reply with quote

IAmNoHero wrote:
Did you also read the same author's books on alternate WW1 and WW2? I thought them less interesting.

Yes, I did. I made the mistake of ordering a whole series. Those books bored me to tears. I think I just managed to read one and a half of I can't even remember which series, I think the WW2 one. sleep
IAmNoHero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Harry Turtledove's WW1 & WW2 series Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
Those books bored me to tears. sleep

I think the problem is, though one can see clearly the point Turtledove wants to make rewriting the Civil War (the whole thing about slavery and racism), one can't see the point on rewriting the two world wars. It's fun for a moment or two that there are two countries, the USA and the CSA involved in opposite sides of WW2, but what point exactly is being made? confused
Lisa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Books you've read lately Reply with quote

Is anybody around here a fan of Wilbur Smith? Especially the Ballantyne series and the Courtney series? It gives you a very different view of the white Africans (South Africa, the former Rhodesia) from what you usually read in the politically correct world. They are not all the white supremacists depicted in The Guns of the South or the stereotypical image we have in Europe and America.

I recently came across a book in the Courtney series that I hadn't read before, A Time to Die - a very good adventure story, with a depiction of how, since independence, the former British and English colonies have gone downhill due to corruption and incompetence. Not a politically correct view, but one, unfortunately, rather accurate.

From a different angle - this reminds me of an Agatha Christie book I read long ago, The Man in the Brown Suit, where the heroine falls in love with a "dark and silent Rhodesian" (dark because he's tanned, not because he's black!! Dame Agatha would never have one of her heroines fall for a colored man, it would never occur to her!
Mr. Write

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: The Guns of the South Reply with quote

UnMask wrote:
I love the Guns of the South.
I am on my phone so I'll come back later. Smile

That's a loooong phone call, UnMask!
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Wilbur Smith Reply with quote

I've been re-reading Wilbur Smith's Ballantyne series, about the colonization of Rhodesia (the Courtney series being the colonization of South Africa) - I hadn't read those books since the 1980's, and apart from some salient points that stuck in my mind, it's like reading them all for the first time.

For a very different view of Southern Africa, racism, tribalism, and for sheer adventure and suspense, I heartily recommend those books. Both series. ten

Anyone interested in Africa, especially Southern Africa, I also recommend Laurens van der Post's books. Though I strongly advise against watching the movie that Disney made out of those books!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24

Jump to: