AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Dragon Quidditch
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Du Khach
Herald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Dragon Quidditch Reply with quote

Hi there and Newbies from CoS! I remember you well, Fawkesfan1 and Witchsmart! I was Alien Visitor on CoS - I've kept the same siggie here. Didn't have an avatar on CoS, never made it to Hogsmeade. Hmmph.

Fawkes and Inkling, you've missed something if you didn't see the Dragon Quidditch threads. They were awesome. At first, the staff played too, so they had Cedric Diggory come in as Captain, Snape as referee. Team members each had their dragons, which had names. Members (players and spectators) took turn doing the commentaries "à la Lee Jordan", V8 and Witchsmart were outstandingly hilarious. They also had pictures of all the dragons.

Some of the DQ players are here now, and Laurelluin (Lyra) in particular is raring to get onto a dragon's back and into a game again. One good player was Captain Mills. Since he plays soccer in RL, he made some soccer-inspired moves that were really cool. Oh, and Daggerstone! Let's not forget the incomparable Dags! Eek

It's too bad that the CoS Mods saw fit to delete the two DQ threads, as well as the first Never-Ending Party thread, which is were we started playing DQ.

Nowadays, the sole mention of DQ gets you banned, as happened to a CoS newbie a few months ago. The CoS Mods have decided to purge all memory of us from their archives and their memory. It's really a pity, the players, commentators and spectators had so much imagination, creativity and talent.

IIRC, two years in a row, the DQ crowd had an entry in the Holiday calendar. Let me go look on YouTube and see if I can find the videos. Very Happy
Du Khach
Herald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Found the videos! This is the 2009 DQ Carol Reply with quote

This is one. The vocalists are first Gottriplets, then Gaian. The chorus are Gottriplet's triiplets, singing just a bit off-key. wink They're adorable, aren't they? The montage is Fleur's. The tweaking of the photos to have HP characters as team members was a collective effort. I memory serves, V8 did a lot of work on the dragons, and the whole team splitted the montage of the photos, each team member taking two or three characters, putting their faces onto the original photos. Daggerstone wrote the lyrics.

http://youtu.be/2AX1wfkSU_g

Last edited by Du Khach on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Du Khach
Herald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: The Dragon-Tiger Quidditch Carol Reply with quote

The last year we did it was the Year of the Tiger, so we had flying tigers vs. dragons. The vocalist is Witchsmart, the video is Fleur's and Bill (MuggleMagic)'s work. FleurduJardin wrote the lyrics.

http://youtu.be/b3Dc5xMPr0o

witchsmart

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Dragon Quidditch Reply with quote

Oh god, I forgot I sang for one of those. Embarassed

Well, when we have enough players, my dragon and I are certainly rearing to go. Smile
Fawkesfan1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Dragon Quidditch Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome, Du Khach Smile. Alien_Visitor, I think the name rings a bell there. Remember you somewhat from the forums.

Wish I would have checked those out. From the looks of the videos, they looked like they were a lot of fun.
The Shuttle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Dragon Quidditch Reply with quote

You said it, Fawkesfan1, it was LOADS of fun! Some of the posts were roll-on-the-floor funny, as were some of the moves. The "commentators" were modeling themselves on Lee Jordan and the Weasley Twins, blatantly played favorites, got cheeky with McGonagall, gave Snape a hard time... When a player ended up in the penalty box, he or she (or his/her dragon) tried to wreak havoc anyway. Then the dragons themselves went into amorous mode - I think it was Leah's dragon (Piccolo, I think) had a crush on Fleur's miniature dragon Mayli here Rong Fleur didn't play, as far as I remember, but she always brought her mini-dragon with her to watch the games.

Daggerstone, Voldemorts8thHorcrux, MuggleMagic, Captain Mills, Witchsmart, WanderingPrince and others (I can't remember all the names) were outstanding. They had me falling off my chair laughing.

If I had known the CoS Mods would be so petty and mean as to zap the threads and ban most of the people in them simply because they had issues with Bill Muggle (where is he, btw?) and Fleur, I'd have saved those threads. Between the awesome graphics of dragons and tigers, the innovative moves, and the hilarious by-plays, they were an irreplaceable treasure.

Witchsmart, do you happen to save - or do you remember some of it? The videos do help a bit, I recognized Lyra on her dragon, but it's not like those games. They were just inspired.
witchsmart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dragon Quidditch Reply with quote

The Shuttle wrote:
Witchsmart, do you happen to save - or do you remember some of it? The videos do help a bit, I recognized Lyra on her dragon, but it's not like those games. They were just inspired.

I do remember some of the plays we did, and a lot of the nonsense that went on in the Commentators' booth (Luna's introduction to Dragon Quidditch, for example, when all the other commentators had left, or Karkaroff's portrait making a brief cameo only to chucked out later on by the twins). I feel like I might have a file saved on my computer with commentary (they were rather long, and took awhile to compose), but this would be my computer at home instead of my laptop, which is currently an ocean away.

Chants were also a big part of the games, and the title for those definitely goes to Daggerstone, one of our more ferocious players (I think she might have chucked a bludger at the commentators' booth once).

As far as the actual rules go, fire was banned, the sizes of the dragons were adjusted with a quick spell (so that the miniature ones could participate as well if they wanted and Dags's dinosaur of a dragon wouldn't eat everyone else), and beyond that all the normal rules of Quidditch applied. It was just a fun back-and-forth between players, with some commenting to further the game along, others selling team flag or refreshments, and some just posting wacko comments. Smile
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Dragon Quidditch? Furrealz?? Reply with quote

I'll play for sure, you know my Beater's Bat is never far from my hands.

In case anyone needs to borrow a dragon, I actually have three well-trained ones. I'm planning to ride the Jabberwock from Tim Burton's Alice next game, even though he's only about halfway trained. maybe less.

Oh Welcome Witchsmart!!! wave hello goodbye

Admin's Addition: I'm copying here the description Laurelluin made of DQ, since it belongs here more than it does in the "CoS is closing down" thread. And yes Inkling, it was mad fun, some of the comments really made me laugh till I cried with my sides hurting!

inkling7 wrote:
How do you play Dragon Quidditch on the internet? It sounds rather intriguing..... super grin

It's basically like writing a progressive story. You get a group of interested people to assume the roles of players, referees, and commentators.

Then you create a thread introducing the teams and their mounts and announcing the imminent start of the game.

Then people --anyone who's feeling interested and creative, really--just post whatever they imagine might happen in the game. They can post what the commentators might say, what fans in the stands might see and say, or what's happening from a player's point of view.

It's a little like online RP games, except that there's no rule against god-moding people. God-moding, for those who've never RP'ed, is for example if Witchsmart were writing her part of the story and she put me in there doing something that I would never write myself doing. Such as cozying up to Snape. Basically taking over the action of another person's character is god-moding.

In fact she did just that a couple times in a well-remembered game when she had Daggerstone of all people flirting with both Draco and the Weasley twins! wacko
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dragon Quidditch? Furrealz?? Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:
In fact she did just that a couple times in a well-remembered game when she had Daggerstone of all people flirting with both Draco and the Weasley twins! wacko

And remember how the two mini-dragons, Piccolo and Mayli Rong fell for each other and Piccolo was so distracted (Mayli never played but Fleur always took her to the games) he played erratically?

Isn't it also there that, at one victory celebration, Dags got the thread closed for a couple of days because the scene became too realistically rowdy for the CoS Mods? I think we'd moved the celebration to the Never-Ending Party thread, and I had to plead with Hes for her to re-open it!

inkling7 wrote:
Well it sounds like a bit of mad fun - which is what we all need sometimes...LOL

Oh it was, Julie, it was. We had a wonderful time, especially at the beginning, when the Mods participated, with Dumbledore dancing the tango at a celebration, and me swooning when Cedric asked me to dance with him, and him saying "I never let my partner fall". That was at the post-game celebration.

The games themselves were a riot. The best posters were Dags, Witchsmart, V8 (who had a whole gallery of dragon pictures) and Muggle_Magic, they came up with the craziest moves in the games, and the most hilarious commentaries and behind-the-scene interactions. I am so sorry that those threads got zapped, my original Never-Ending Party (that's where we started playing DQ) and Bill's two DQ threads. It was also very mean of the CoS Mods to do so. I mean, it was all harmless fun, and a lot of creativity. But then Morgoth had it so much against us that he zapped all the threads that Bill or I started, including some serious but really interesting ones (about SPEW, about how GoF was the turning point in the series, according to Minisinoo's "mirror theory" - I even had a poll going on that last one, and it was very active). It got to the point that even asking about DQ got you banned. Honestly, how mean and petty can you get? Rolling Eyes

Anyway, if someone who's not banned could go on CoS and owl the DQ players and ask them if they would come over here and play again, that'd be really helpful. Right now we still don't have enough members interested to form two teams.
Cho_Lover
Herald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Off to the Quidditch Pitch! Reply with quote

Heya there Witchsmart, welcome to AV! So happy you decided to join. very happy

Maybe we could start drawing up a list of potential players and commentators?

Owling CoS Quidditch players is a good idea. I'd like to have Captain Mills, Dags, V8 among others. Lyra and Witchie, could you do that, owl anyone who was in on the games that you can remember? I'm afraid I didn't keep a list. From AV, we have Proud Puff and Mimosa, though the latter seems to have dropped out of chatting. Rob, are you game to join up again?
witchsmart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Dragon Quidditch? Furrealz?? Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:

Isn't it also there that, at one victory celebration, Dags got the thread closed for a couple of days because the scene became too realistically rowdy for the CoS Mods? I think we'd moved the celebration to the Never-Ending Party thread, and I had to plead with Hes for her to re-open it!

I seem to recall something of that nature occurring. Possibly a reference to drinking, not sure.

Wildflower wrote:

Anyway, if someone who's not banned could go on CoS and owl the DQ players and ask them if they would come over here and play again, that'd be really helpful. Right now we still don't have enough members interested to form two teams.

I can owl a few of the regulars, see if any of them are interested.
witchsmart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: The Quidditch Pitch Reply with quote

Side note--does anyone remember a year in which we were particularly active on the Quidditch Pitch?

EDIT: Nevermind. Smile http://web.archive.org/web/20100214091541/http://cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=119271

Ah, so it was Den_Muggle who had Dags flirting with the Weasley twins. I thought that seemed a little extreme for me.

Alas, it only seems to cover the first six pages, but that should give you a general idea of the format of the game.
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Quidditch Pitch Reply with quote

witchsmart wrote:
http://web.archive.org/web/20100214091541/http://cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=119271

Ah, so it was Den_Muggle who had Dags flirting with the Weasley twins. I thought that seemed a little extreme for me.

Alas, it only seems to cover the first six pages, but that should give you a general idea of the format of the game.

Oh wonderful, thank you Witchie!! I thought that DQ had disappeared forever, and here it is now, six pages left!!!

I'd forgotten Den_muggle had been active, and I had forgotten Pigwijon, who was also one of the best players and commentators and very active. There was also MorningStar and LadyElven, who didn't play but was selling banners and stuff. This brings back so many fun memories!!!

Does anyone know how to download that thread and keep it? Coz I'm afraid it'll disappear once CoS closes for good.

Yes, between Lyra, Witchie and Myosotis, you should be able to owl the people who participated in the game, hoping that they're still around CoS and get their owls.
Cho_Lover
Herald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Quidditch Pitch Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
Yes, between Lyra, Witchie and Myosotis, you should be able to owl the people who participated in the game, hoping that they're still around CoS and get their owls.

I know Captain Mills and Dags are still active on CoS. Haven't seen Pigwijon, LadyElven or Den_muggle in a while. Thank goodness Lyra and Witchsmart are already here.

I haven't seen any of the DQ players on ArryGrotter's new site, but it couldn't hurt to double check and contact them. I can do that, I registered there as Flying Tiger, using one of the winged tigers we made up for the Tigers vs. Dragons game as my avatar. super grin

Thanks for the link Witchie, it's very useful - I started chuckling just looking through it. shameless grin

Hang on, people, we're on our way back to the Quidditch Pitch riding our fearsome dragons! very happy
Proud Puff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Quidditch Pitch Reply with quote

Cho_Lover wrote:
Thanks for the link Witchie, it's very useful - I started chuckling just looking through it. shameless grin

Chuckling? I was laughing my head off! Haven't laughed that hard in ages.

This is an absolute gem that has to be preserved for posterity. I dunno how to do it though. I mean download it to my computer. Anybody who does, please share the info.

Was that only 4 years ago? Gosh, we had so much fun, didn't we? It's so cool, too, to see the old signatures. Mimosa and Fleur showing off their awards. Somehow I wasn't in that game, though I know for sure I played in the Tigers/Dragons game the year after that.

Dags, Witchsmart and Den_muggle were priceless as posters. Thank you gals!!!

By hook or by crook, we should get Dags in here if she's interested. Den has dropped out of the chat site scene altogether, it seems, but Dags's still around - and we have Bill, Witchie and Lyra. I'll ask Mimosa if she wants to jump in and play again.

Dragon Quidditch lives! win
The single best word to describe Hufflepuff is not loyal or patient or honest ... much less simple. It's STRONG. Like the earth. Hufflepuff may not always win ... but they refuse to lose. Beat them down ... they come back. As long as one Hufflepuff is still standing, they'll pull all the rest back to their feet. Attack one of them and you've made an enemy of all of them.
The last witch or wizard standing will be from that House.
THESE are the values of Hufflepuff.
From Minisinoo's "Hufflepuff House"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: