AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
CoS is closing down!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: No connection Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Out of curiosity to see what people talked about on the site I clicked on the link but it didn't work for me..so maybe I have been banned to even access the site...LOL

No, several people had the same problem, including Roar from this site. Aaron still has to iron out some glitches on his new site. He had someone setting it up for him and is still finding his way around. He actually didn't know at first how to send a private message or to upload an avatar, he had to do some trial and error attempts before he could tell me, LOL.

I had some of those problems at first here on AV, but X had done such a good job that my problems were minor. Aaron's techie did TOO good a job I think! There's this thing where you have to prove you aren't an automated poster every time you want to send a message (you have to type in a code that's practically undecipherable on screen) - it gets annoying really fast, and people have been complaining.

So - it's not you, and you're not banned. It's that Aaron jumped in on this too fast and is still trying to catch up.

It was very pleasant, though, to see all those friends from CoS again. They welcomed me very nicely. There were quite a few I hadn't kept in touch with because I didn't get their private emails before I was banned. They all sent me very nice messages. As I said before, despite its Mods and Admins, CoS was a nice place. I made a lot of good friends there, starting with you and Ylang-Ylang! Very Happy
Proud Puff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: The new HP site Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, ArryGrotter is no Morgoth and no Lanifiel. He's a really nice guy. Plus, he's looking to have as many members as he can on his new site.

I know you were kidding, inkling7, but seriously Arry has no reason to ban you, he doesn't even know you (I think - it seems to me he came into CoS after you left.)

It's weird that you can't connect to his site. Apparently other people have had that problem too. Where is Roar, geographically speaking, Fleur, do you know? Arry is a Kiwi, isn't he? It must have to do with the browser, the fact that some people can't connect and some can. Confused
The single best word to describe Hufflepuff is not loyal or patient or honest ... much less simple. It's STRONG. Like the earth. Hufflepuff may not always win ... but they refuse to lose. Beat them down ... they come back. As long as one Hufflepuff is still standing, they'll pull all the rest back to their feet. Attack one of them and you've made an enemy of all of them.
The last witch or wizard standing will be from that House.
THESE are the values of Hufflepuff.
From Minisinoo's "Hufflepuff House"
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: The new HP site Reply with quote

Proud Puff wrote:
It's weird that you can't connect to his site. Apparently other people have had that problem too. Where is Roar, geographically speaking, Fleur, do you know? Arry is a Kiwi, isn't he? It must have to do with the browser, the fact that some people can't connect and some can. Confused

Roar is in the US, in Vermont to be exact. Not too far from where I am. When we get hit by a storm, she does too, most of the time. Very Happy

And yes Aaron is from NZ. He was one of the CoS members who posted his condolences on Bill's Internet obituary page. A really sweet young man.

There are glitches to be ironed out on this new site. Also, they may have a bug, because every time I get to their home page, I get a square of text that looks like an upgrade to some software or other, but is actually spam. Or sometimes there's a message saying "Your computer is about to crash, click here to fix the problem." If you see that message, do NOT under any circumstances click on the link, it''s most probably a virus. It may be as well, Julie, that you couldn't connect. super grin

I've told Aaron about the spam/possible malware, and he's aware of the problems some people have, especially people who use AOL. I'm sure it's going to get settled sooner or later, and rather sooner. Aaron is working very hard on it. I had some problems too when I started as Admin, so I sympathize. Luckily for us, X is a top-notch techie, so my problems were solved quickly. Very Happy

As to what people are talking about, Aaron has re-created most of the sub-forums and threads that were on CoS, so they're discussing HP, other books and movies, and such. But right now it's mostly "Meet and Greet" and "Hey, fancy seeing you here!" or, to me "Nice to see you again Fleur!" wink
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Arry Reply with quote

Actually I knew ArryGrotter quite well being an Aussie and him a Kiwi we had quite a lot of things to discuss in CoS Hogsmeade that were not HP related. This was before I was banned and he sent me a nice message when my father and Kiwi sister-in-law died within a few months of each other several years ago... super grin

I really hope things go well for him with this new site of his... he was also close to Meesha, Montse and a few others that did those HP podcasts.. they were fun to listen to.
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Connecting to Arry's site Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Out of curiosity to see what people talked about on the site I clicked on the link but it didn't work for me..so maybe I have been banned to even access the site...LOL

Arry would like to know what error message you get when you try to connect to his site, so he can fix the problem (or at least try, LOL). Very Happy

There are quite a few bugs to iron out, actually. He's working very hard on it.
LostInTranslation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Harry Potter Translations Reply with quote

For the translators among us, this is a thread worth saving:

Harry Potter Translations

How to save a thread:
* Right clicking off to the side of the page, and select "save as".

When the file window pops up, save it (make sure the "file type" says "webpage complete")

Now go to your downloads. You should see a .htm file and a folder (the folder is linked to the htm file - it stores the css codes for the page you're saving).

Double click the .htm file to open it up. It should open in your browser with all of the smilies and avatars intact

If it works, you can keep doing this for any page you want to save. Just make sure that each page you save has a unique name (an easy way is to add page numbers to each file name before you save). I discovered this when I started saving pages on the groups -- the computer has no idea what page you're on. It will name every file by default w/the name of the group you're browsing, so it's up to you to keep track of what you're saving.

And I know what you mean b/c some of the funniest posts are nothing but smilies Well, hope that helps

* That's one way, the other way is to go and press the 'thread tools' drop down button and go down to the third button that says 'download this thread' and click it. It only saves threads onto word pad though. The other you have to do a page at a time, but it saves almost everything on it.

* There is an option for changing it to show 100 posts per page (see here: http://www.cosforums.com/profile.php?do=editoptions in Thread Display Option)
But for threads with over 100 posts (i.e. any over 5 pages which is most), it's still a multi-page download...
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: No connection Reply with quote

No error message just says unable to connect to server and still says it...lol
Wildflower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: No connection Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:

That's what is called an "error message", LOL!!!
Wildflower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Welcome to Fawkesfan1 Reply with quote

A warm welcome to Fawkesfan1, another "refugee" from the disappearing CoS! Very Happy
Wildflower

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: No connection Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:

I told Aaron, and this is is reply:

ArryGrotter wrote:
Hmm, I don't know what would be causing that. All I can suggest is trying another browser. It's a shame there's the issue - I'd really like to see Julie on here!

I told him you were not the only one with the problem, Roar has it too. I don't know who else. I think some people on CoS complained also. Not that it matters. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: