AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
CoS is closing down!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildflower

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: CoS is closing down!!! Reply with quote

This is the news of the day!

Morgoth wrote:
Good Day Everyone,

I'm sorry to say that CoS Forums is going to shut down in the Summer, sometime around July. This isn't an early April Fools joke either.

The Forums have become quite expensive to run and manage. There's a lot (LOT) less traffic coming to the site these days as Harry Potter becomes less of a topical debate for people.

I held on for a while after the last film, wondering whether JK would announce anything surprising, but I find that even if she did it wouldn't serve to help the diminishing numbers on the site or my bank balance!

Myself, I've been absent a lot more in the past year as personal issues have taken over and I've had to work longer hours, to earn more money to keep the forums going as well as pay for things like rent, utilities and god knows what else.

Some of you will be sad and I'm sure others will be happy. I'm not doing this lightly and I could have closed the site last year but held off. I know this may upset some of you who've come to see this place as a haven with friends and I'm very sorry it has to go but I've kept this place going with money out of my own pocket for 10 years now and it's no longer financially viable to do so. Please understand that this is not an easy decision!

Some of you may wish to offer to help, to donate or even take on the site. Whilst I would listen to any suggestions, I will not accept donations as this would be unsustainable in the long-term. If you wanted to take on CoS, be aware that you would need to find $200 per month and to be honest with you all I'm not sure I'm prepared to let the site be taken over by anyone. I've created a thread for comments. The other staff know only as much as the above. There is no Plan B as far as they are concerned, so do not pester them for answers to questions. If they do not know, they are being totally honest.

Comment here

Many thanks to everyone who for the last 10+ years have worked in one way or another on the site. All the staff, past and present who gave their time and energy to making the community work. Every single person gave their time for free and were never paid for their efforts. It was a labor of love for all.
Many thanks to the members, those who came & went and dared to stay. Every single one of you who contributed to the site, to the discussions and events. You were the ones who made the site what it became, from the all the book releases to the heated, sometimes famous debates about all sorts of topics. You made CoS what it was. So thank you.

Matt aka Morgoth

We did say people were Pottered-out (not to mention Snaped-out) but someone I said that to remarked that it was not so much because there would be no more HP books to discuss - that the Lord of the Rings sites were still going strong after 60 years and a lesser number of books. That maybe people were CoSed out due to the impossibility of having a real, meaningful discussion without a Mod jumping on you.

I think it's both, actually. The other Harry Potter site I'm a member of, the DarkMark, has been dead in the water for a while now. There's maybe one or two posts per month, if that, and when I visit (which is admittedly seldom) there almost never is anyone else on line, and practically no new posts. On CoS, there are fewer and fewer people. Last night, there was a record low of 2 members when I looked in. Today, after someone from the Google group let us know of Morgoth's announcement, there were less than 10 people online. Just now, when I copied Morgoth's post, there were 5 - though there were a lot of comments on the closure.

I thought I'd post this here to let those of you who don't check in on CoS know.
The Shuttle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: CoS Closing Reply with quote

This comes as a surprise, though it shouldn't, really. Several people have noted how attendance has been going down.

It's sad, though. Whatever, um, disagreements we've had with the CoS Mods, CoS has been a good place where we all made had fun, made friends, showed solidarity, learned things - a lot of my graphics skills I learned on CoS. Let's not forget the help with Pottermore!

It was fun while it lasted, before we were banned. And for the rest of the membership, I'm sure it's been a lot of fun and cheer also.

The end of an era...
inkling7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Serves them right! Reply with quote

Hah they stupidly banned a lot of people who might have kept the numbers up...

KARMA for being so stupid and banning all of you people who used to like the site so much.... super grin

I for one wouldn't have gone to the site very much even if I hadn't been banned...LOL
Cho_Lover
Herald

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Big Dog's comment Reply with quote

So typically Big Dog. I just have to share it with you all. super grin

canismajoris wrote:
What an amazingly artificially-cathartic experience this is. I haven't agreed with your management techniques, nor with your moderation rules, ever. Not even one single time, that I can recall. So, I'm glad you paid what turns out to be such an amusingly insignificant sum to host this place for so many years, but I kind of wish a smarter person had paid more to do it better.

He may not have agreed with the mod rules, and he skated perilously close to the abyss most of the time, but he managed never to get banned despite his obnoxiousness. Who said the CoS Mods didn't play favorites? Even one who bites the hand that spared him? dead
Proud Puff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: CoS and Us Reply with quote

Despite the problems we had with them (or rather some of the Admins and Mods had with us) I enjoyed CoS. We had interesting debates, we made friends, we learned things.

Big Dog: You said it, Bill, his post is so typical! I didn't think I'd ever say this, but he's quite a character, if an obnoxious one. I'll miss seeing his punchy posts. Ah, to be that young and arrogant again! Pale sigh
The single best word to describe Hufflepuff is not loyal or patient or honest ... much less simple. It's STRONG. Like the earth. Hufflepuff may not always win ... but they refuse to lose. Beat them down ... they come back. As long as one Hufflepuff is still standing, they'll pull all the rest back to their feet. Attack one of them and you've made an enemy of all of them.
The last witch or wizard standing will be from that House.
THESE are the values of Hufflepuff.
From Minisinoo's "Hufflepuff House"
Wildflower

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Welcome to CoS "refugees/migrants" Reply with quote

It is with great pleasure that we extend a warm welcome to Witchsmart, our first new "recruit" since the CoS closure announcement.

The other CoS members who contacted me are already AV members, apart from Den_muggle who hasn't had time to go on CoS much, and says she wouldn't have time for here either, but may change her mind and does want to keep in touch.

So now we have a Julia along with a Julie, and more important, we have an outstanding Dragon Quidditch player. Witchsmart's moves and commentaries in our Dragon Quidditch games on CoS always had me in stitches.

I do hope we get enough "CoS migrants" to be able to have a Quidditch game on AV some day. Very Happy
Proud Puff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome to CoS "refugees/migrants" Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
It is with great pleasure that we extend a warm welcome to Witchsmart, our first new "recruit" since the CoS closure announcement.

So now we have a Julia along with a Julie, and more important, we have an outstanding Dragon Quidditch player. Witchsmart's moves and commentaries in our Dragon Quidditch games on CoS always had me in stitches.

I do hope we get enough "CoS migrants" to be able to have a Quidditch game on AV some day. Very Happy

Hey, a big welcome to you, Witchie Smartie! wave hello goodbye I was Wandering Prince on CoS.

It'd really be cool if we could play Dragon Quidditch again. We had such a great time, and Fleur's right, you were one of the very best players and commentators. Wait till Muggle_Magic and the other DQ players see that you're here! very happy
The single best word to describe Hufflepuff is not loyal or patient or honest ... much less simple. It's STRONG. Like the earth. Hufflepuff may not always win ... but they refuse to lose. Beat them down ... they come back. As long as one Hufflepuff is still standing, they'll pull all the rest back to their feet. Attack one of them and you've made an enemy of all of them.
Wildflower

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Rising from the ashes Reply with quote

Aaron (ArryGrotter) has started a new forum from the ashes of CoS:

http://hogsmeade.ucoz.com/

Several oldies have already registered, including me as... FleurduJardin, what a surprise! bleh
Proud Puff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rising from the ashes Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
Aaron (ArryGrotter) has started a new forum from the ashes of CoS:

http://hogsmeade.ucoz.com/

Hey, cool! Cool

I had a look. Maybe I'll register. I find, though, that this site is easier on the eye than ArryGrotter's - the print is small, that grey color isn't very attractive. However, I haven't explored everything yet. I'll do that later and report. super grin
inkling7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: No connection Reply with quote

Out of curiosity to see what people talked about on the site I clicked on the link but it didn't work for me..so maybe I have been banned to even access the site...LOL
Kerowyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: No connection Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Out of curiosity to see what people talked about on the site I clicked on the link but it didn't work for me..so maybe I have been banned to even access the site...LOL

No, several people had the same problem, including Roar from this site. Aaron still has to iron out some glitches on his new site. He had someone setting it up for him and is still finding his way around. He actually didn't know at first how to send a private message or to upload an avatar, he had to do some trial and error attempts before he could tell me, LOL.

I had some of those problems at first here on AV, but X had done such a good job that my problems were minor. Aaron's techie did TOO good a job I think! There's this thing where you have to prove you aren't an automated poster every time you want to send a message (you have to type in a code that's practically undecipherable on screen) - it gets annoying really fast, and people have been complaining.

So - it's not you, and you're not banned. It's that Aaron jumped in on this too fast and is still trying to catch up.

It was very pleasant, though, to see all those friends from CoS again. They welcomed me very nicely. There were quite a few I hadn't kept in touch with because I didn't get their private emails before I was banned. They all sent me very nice messages. As I said before, despite its Mods and Admins, CoS was a nice place. I made a lot of good friends there, starting with you and Ylang-Ylang! Very Happy
Proud Puff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: The new HP site Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, ArryGrotter is no Morgoth and no Lanifiel. He's a really nice guy. Plus, he's looking to have as many members as he can on his new site.

I know you were kidding, inkling7, but seriously Arry has no reason to ban you, he doesn't even know you (I think - it seems to me he came into CoS after you left.)

It's weird that you can't connect to his site. Apparently other people have had that problem too. Where is Roar, geographically speaking, Fleur, do you know? Arry is a Kiwi, isn't he? It must have to do with the browser, the fact that some people can't connect and some can. Confused
Kerowyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The new HP site Reply with quote

Proud Puff wrote:
It's weird that you can't connect to his site. Apparently other people have had that problem too. Where is Roar, geographically speaking, Fleur, do you know? Arry is a Kiwi, isn't he? It must have to do with the browser, the fact that some people can't connect and some can. Confused

Roar is in the US, in Vermont to be exact. Not too far from where I am. When we get hit by a storm, she does too, most of the time. Very Happy

And yes Aaron is from NZ. He was one of the CoS members who posted his condolences on Bill's Internet obituary page. A really sweet young man.

There are glitches to be ironed out on this new site. Also, they may have a bug, because every time I get to their home page, I get a square of text that looks like an upgrade to some software or other, but is actually spam. Or sometimes there's a message saying "Your computer is about to crash, click here to fix the problem." If you see that message, do NOT under any circumstances click on the link, it''s most probably a virus. It may be as well, Julie, that you couldn't connect. super grin

I've told Aaron about the spam/possible malware, and he's aware of the problems some people have, especially people who use AOL. I'm sure it's going to get settled sooner or later, and rather sooner. Aaron is working very hard on it. I had some problems too when I started as Admin, so I sympathize. Luckily for us, X is a top-notch techie, so my problems were solved quickly. Very Happy

As to what people are talking about, Aaron has re-created most of the sub-forums and threads that were on CoS, so they're discussing HP, other books and movies, and such. But right now it's mostly "Meet and Greet" and "Hey, fancy seeing you here!" or, to me "Nice to see you again Fleur!" wink
inkling7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Arry Reply with quote

Actually I knew ArryGrotter quite well being an Aussie and him a Kiwi we had quite a lot of things to discuss in CoS Hogsmeade that were not HP related. This was before I was banned and he sent me a nice message when my father and Kiwi sister-in-law died within a few months of each other several years ago... super grin

I really hope things go well for him with this new site of his... he was also close to Meesha, Montse and a few others that did those HP podcasts.. they were fun to listen to.
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Connecting to Arry's site Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:

Arry would like to know what error message you get when you try to connect to his site, so he can fix the problem (or at least try, LOL). Very Happy

There are quite a few bugs to iron out, actually. He's working very hard on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: