AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
The Dresden Files
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winter_vs_Summer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Favourite Dresden books Reply with quote

IAmNoHero wrote:
Winterfell wrote:
I think my favorite is "Changes". What about you, which one is the best Dresden adventure?

"Changes" is pretty good, but I like the one when Harry discovers who Thomas really is - "Blood Rites". "Summer Knight" comes a close second.

"White Night" is my pick. Especially the scene in The Deeps, where Thomas and Lara fight the ghouls back-to-back, a scene "frigtheningly beautiful or beautifully frightening" that makes Marcone say that it's "the most beautiful nightmare" he ever saw. The scenes with Ramirez. And the final scene, when Harry discovers how Thomas circumvented his "Hunger" problem. Justine and Thomas together (heart-rending!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Favourite Dresden books Reply with quote

Winter_vs_Summer wrote:
"White Night" is my pick. Especially the scene in The Deeps, where Thomas and Lara fight the ghouls back-to-back, a scene "frigtheningly beautiful or beautifully frightening" that makes Marcone say that it's "the most beautiful nightmare" he ever saw. The scenes with Ramirez. And the final scene, when Harry discovers how Thomas circumvented his "Hunger" problem. Justine and Thomas together (heart-rending!)

I absolutely love Thomas. I don't like the books where he's not featured, or featured only briefly, like "Ghost Story". Harry Dresden, like Harry Potter, can be annoying. For one thing, he's often unnecessearily rude to people. But Thomas is always the perfect gentleman. And yes, his love for Justine is just heart-rending.
Wildflower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Favourite Dresden characters Reply with quote

Lily_Chérie wrote:
I absolutely love Thomas. I don't like the books where he's not featured, or featured only briefly, like "Ghost Story". Harry Dresden, like Harry Potter, can be annoying. For one thing, he's often unnecessearily rude to people. But Thomas is always the perfect gentleman. And yes, his love for Justine is just heart-rending.

So do I. I agree that Harry can be very annoying, unnecesserily rude and insulting - especially with Marcone, and also with Lara (when he says he needs a Lysol mouth rinse after she kisses him - at his request at that.)

Justine seems to have found a way around the "curse" that keeps her and Thomas apart, but it seems far-fetched to me. If the "touch of true love" burns a White Court vampire (like some get burned by a wedding ring, or a rose given between two lovers, and Thomas getting burned just touching the scarf Justine knitted for him), I don't see that anything Justine does can keep him from getting third-degree burns at her touch, as long as they do love each other. I love the scene at the Zero Club, where they move as one, but avoid burns because she's wearing a Catwoman suit and gloves.... I'm not at all convinced by the "solution" she found in "Cold Days".
Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Favourite Dresden characters Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
So do I. I agree that Harry can be very annoying, unnecesserily rude and insulting - especially with Marcone, and also with Lara (when he says he needs a Lysol mouth rinse after she kisses him - at his request at that.)

You know, I actually like Marcone, and Lara too. Marcone may be a gangster, but he has principles, and he can be very humane and thoughtful. Like when he and Ivy are kidnapped and he insists that the rescue party save Ivy first. The way he cares for the little girl who accidentally took a bullet meant for him, the lengths he goes to, to get her well again.

Lara, I find just awesome. A lot more interesting than Justine, for example. Whom Lara protects out of sisterly love for her brother Thomas. She's also a mean fighter and one heck of a businesswoman. More interesting also than Karrin Murphy who can at times be almost as annoying as Harry!

About Harry being rude, remember when he first met Thomas, how rude he was when Thomas asked him "May I call you Harry?" Same thing he does with Marcone. He calls them Thomas and John, but they're supposed to call him "Mr. Dresden". Rolling Eyes Both Thomas and Marcone repeatedly save his life, too.

The scene I like between Harry and Thomas is when Harry comes back from the dead and doesn't contact Thomas for months. When he finally does... well, I had to laugh at the exchange between the two, while Molly prudently stays away because "it's never good to interfere in a quarrel between siblings."

Most of all, you have to like Karrin Murphy - In Sanya's words, "Tiny, but [b]fierce![/b]" A bit like, dare I say, our Fearless Leader? wink

Last edited by Cowboy on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steph-Le-Fou-de-Paris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: French translation Reply with quote

I wonder why only the first five books have been translated? Very well translated, mind you. But nothing after "Death Masks", which is very frustrating...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: The TV series Reply with quote

We've been discussing the books here. Did anyone watch the TV series? It only ran for one season, back in 2007, then wasn't renewed because of low ratings, despite a letter-writing campaign by the fans. I didn't watch it myself, I wasn't even aware of the Dresden Files books back then...

If anyone has, could they let us know?

Oh, I haven't looked in the Entertainment forum. Maybe it's there? I'll go take a look.

ETA - Yep, it's there. Nobody has posted there for a while, though.

http://www.avenueviet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3694
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: The TV series Reply with quote

DarkWind wrote:
We've been discussing the books here. Did anyone watch the TV series?

I am actually starting to watch it now, my brother sent me the whole first (and only) season. I finished the first episode last night and am starting the second. I'll post my comments in the Entertainment forum. Very Happy
Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: The Dresden Files Reply with quote

It's a great series. The characters are so well-drawn. Also, they evolve and change with age, experience, or... taking on the mantle of the Winter Knight!

I particularly like the references to popular culture that you can't get if you're not into Star Trek, Star Wars, pop music, or even mainstream poetry. This guy's really well-read. I wonder where he finds the time to read all those books, watch all those movies, and write at the same time.
Romentic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Skin Game Reply with quote

The last to be published, over a year ago now. Pretty good, this heist into Hades' demesne, to retrieve... the Holy Grail!! Eek

Thomas fans will not like it that Thomas doesn't make even a cameo appearance here, but it's still pretty good even without him. Plot is suitably complex, Harry is his usual smart-ass, smart-mouth self.

The mixture of religions is intriguing, Greek gods and Christian archangels and Fallen Angels! You had to think of it!!!
IAmNoHero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Skin Game Reply with quote

Romentic wrote:
The last to be published, over a year ago now. Pretty good, this heist into Hades' demesne, to retrieve... the Holy Grail!! Eek

Yes, what's entertaining is the mixture of Christianity and paganism. Archangels, Fallen Angels, the Shroud of Turin, etc., coexist with Titania, Mab, Hades, Merlin, faeries, vampires, et al. When a vampire fights side by side with a Knight of the Cross, it's rather startling when you think of it, but when you're engrossed in the book, it seems perfectly natural. That's where Butcher's talent lies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: