AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP movies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Shuttle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP movies Reply with quote

This is copied from another site. I found the discussion interesting enough to "import" it here and see what you all think.

Chemistry is something that really can't be helped between two actors, either you have it or you don't. That being said: Which actors worked very well together, and which just...didn't?

I'm going to start with some of mine:

BEST:

Daniel Radcliffe and Gary Oldman. There was a natural spark of respect, admiration, and love between their Harry and Sirius that spoke volumes about their dynamic without saying a word.

WORST:

Daniel Radcliffe and Bonnie Wright. Nuff said.

The Shuttle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP movies Reply with quote

Another opinion (not mine):

Best:
Dan and Gary - they sparkled with great fatherly/son chemistry and were totally believable

Mark Williams and Julie Walters - agree with Richard_Gambon here, they were a very believable parental unit

Julie Walters and anyone else, really - I thought Julie played well against the kids, being very motherly, as well as against the adults

Dan and Alan - Snape was a very under utilized character in the movies to me but there were some good moments between him and Dan.

Dan and Rupert - teetering on the edge of good and just okay. Sometimes they looked and felt like best friends, other times they looked like actors rehearsing their scenes.

Ralph Fiennes and Michael Gambon - they were awesome when they were up against each other, granted they were up against each other in a magical battle but they looked like believable opponents, they felt electric when they were against each other, they were great.

Dan and Ralph - pretty good.

Worst:
The Trio - sorry, I didn't think they had great chemistry when all three of them were together. They always looked like they were acting to me rather than making me believe that they were really friends. A lot of moments felt really forced but some were kind of okay. The trio teeters on the line between horrible and marginally acceptable to me.

Dan and Bonnie - no explanation needed.

Rupert and Emma - they didn't have romantic chemistry to me at all. Rupert had way more chemistry with the girl who played Lavendar than with Emma.

Dan and Michael Gambon

I agree about Dan and Bonnie. No chemistry at all. Of course personally I never liked the Harry/Ginny pairing, so that didn't help.
Rowena

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP movies Reply with quote

Well...on worst, I have to agree with Dan and Bonnie. I wasn't keen on their pairing anyway, but they just don't really have chemistry together at all. And I feel the same about Emma and Rupert, although I think they had the friendship part down better, but not the romantic chemistry.

On best...Emma and Dan were pretty amazing sometimes, they were wonderful as friends, and I loved some of the scenes in PoA, especially the time travel. Also loved Dan and Alan playing off each other, I thought it was brilliant.
Griffiegirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP movies Reply with quote

Best:

Richard Harris and Dan: Their scenes together shined. Loved how Richard brought his sense of humor and fun to the role.

Dan and Alan Rickman: The both of them really played off of each other well. The animosity showed through, and at the end, Harry's sadness for what Snape went through showed too.

Robbie Coltrane, Dan, Emma and Rupert: His scenes with the younger actors in the films really stand out to me. He played the role of Hagrid really well. So much so, that that's how I picture the character in my mind as I read the series.

Maggie Smith and Richard Harris/Maggie Smith and Michael Gambon: She played the role of Professor Mcgonagall really well with both of the actors. Didn't notice any real change in terms of the chemistry there.

Maggie Smith and Dan: Really loved the interactions between Dan and her throughout the series. They seemed to be pretty believable.

Dan and Tom Felton: These two really played well off one another. Could really sense and feel the dislike that their characters had for one another.

James and Oliver Phelps: They really brought Fred and George to life. Hands down. Loved every minute that those two were on screen together .

Dan and Gary Oldman: Loved all of the scenes that they were in together. He brought a believability to the role of Sirius.

Dan and David Thewlis: Really loved their interactions together. David did a wonderful job as Lupin.

Worst:

David Tennant with Michael Gambon, and others: Thought that the interaction during the scene where he was arrested in GOF (iirc) seemed way over the top . It was rather soap opera like.

The Shuttle wrote:
Dan and Michael Gambon

I thought they did an ok job together. Why did you think that they didn't have that much chemistry together?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP movies Reply with quote

Griffiegirl wrote:
The Shuttle wrote:
Dan and Michael Gambon

I thought they did an ok job together. Why did you think that they didn't have that much chemistry together?

It wasn't my opinion, I just copied it. This is what the poster said about that pairing:

They just seemed very flat when they were acting opposite each other to me, like Michael was speaking to Dan and Dan was just waiting to recite back his lines. It's a very intangible thing and all I can do to really explain it is to say that when Dan was against Alan or against Gary or against Ralph his acting seemed to improve because he was opposite someone who he either greatly respected or was giving it 100,000% in their delivery and he had to match their performance. I guess I just don't think he gave the same gusto to his performances against Michael. Again, it's hard to describe...

Here's another post on the subject:

IMO the Trio's chemistry was better in the first movies, when they were kids, than later on. It wasn't as good later on, but I can't agree with the "they were terrible, just acting" opinion. I agree that Dan and Emma in PoA, especially the going back in time part, were pretty good.

Rupert and Emma without Dan: I see good chemistry between them as friends, but I couldn't feel any romantic attraction at all. Maybe it's just me, but I thought the pairing with Krum (I forget the actor's name) was more believable.

Dan and Gary, Mark and Julie: Yes, spot on!

Dan and Bonnie: a disaster. Dan and Katie Leung were better
4Wizards

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP movies Reply with quote

All in all, the casting was pretty good.

Harry and Sirius's bonding, as well as Harry and Snape's antagonism are really carried out well.

Molly Weasley's interaction with her husband and kids is good also.

The Dursleys are well cast

It's in the romantic relationship department that the chemistry doesn't always work. Harry and Ginny have as much spark as a dead slug. I didn't find the Ron-Hermione attraction very convincing. We see too little of Fleur and Bill to make out if they really "mesh".

Cho was good both with Cedric and with Harry - but Dan Radcliffe wasn't any more convincing with Katie Leung than he was with Bonnie Wright. Except maybe in the "wannacomeballwime?" scene, and even that was borderline.
Strawberry07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP movies Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="4Wizards"]All in all, the casting was pretty good.

Harry and Sirius's bonding, as well as Harry and Snape's antagonism are really carried out well.

I think the Harry Snape antagonism was toned down, and when it was there, it was pretty much oh poor Snape, he's so sad but so witty, hahaha, let's ignore him bullying children in canon. Which is a total and utter waste, as Alan Rickman could have played canonSnape fantastically -he plays nasty characters so well. And they gave us instead the fantasy of every sulker who's never gotten over their school days. Harry and Snape could have had great onscreen antagonism.

Quote:
It's in the romantic relationship department that the chemistry doesn't always work. Harry and Ginny have as much spark as a dead slug. I didn't find the Ron-Hermione attraction very convincing. We see too little of Fleur and Bill to make out if they really "mesh".

It might have helped if they'd given these couples some scenes together. Harry and Ginny had practically no scenes together. Ron and Hermione had very few scenes written with creating a bit of chemistry in mind. Most scenes with Ron in were pretty much Steve Kloves using him as comic relief and shredding his character. And they knew for definite after HBP was published that it would be Ron and Hermione. And even before that, it was blatantly obvious that it would be Ron and Hermione.

Bill and Fleur were just thrown in in DH, without even a mention of their relationship in the previous films.
RavenStar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP movies Reply with quote

Strawberry07 wrote:
It might have helped if they'd given these couples some scenes together. Harry and Ginny had practically no scenes together. Ron and Hermione had very few scenes written with creating a bit of chemistry in mind. Most scenes with Ron in were pretty much Steve Kloves using him as comic relief and shredding his character.

You're right there. It bothered me a lot, starting in fact as early as CoS, where most of what Ron does is grimacing or looking terrified, not very convincingly.

Though I think he and Harry have good chemistry as buddies. Ron being more of a foil for Hermione, though. People who hadn't read the books wouldn't think that there was a possibility of romance there. They probably thought it's Harry that Hermione would end up with.
Fawkesfan1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP movies Reply with quote

4Wizards wrote:
All in all, the casting was pretty good.

Molly Weasley's interaction with her husband and kids is good also.

The Dursleys are well cast

Cho was good both with Cedric and with Harry - but Dan Radcliffe wasn't any more convincing with Katie Leung than he was with Bonnie Wright. Except maybe in the "wannacomeballwime?" scene, and even that was borderline.

Agreement.

Especially loved the scenes with Snape and Harry. So much antagonism and they played off each other nicely.

The Dursleys -- they played it pretty much how I viewed them in the book.
RavenStar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP movies Reply with quote

Fawkesfan1 wrote:
The Dursleys -- they played it pretty much how I viewed them in the book.

Except Aunt Petunia is supposed to be on the scrawny side, and the actress, without being plump, wasn't really scrawny. But yes, Fiona Shaw played her pretty well.

Vernon was perfect, though. super grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: