AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Hermione Granger - What made her tick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Background on Hermione Reply with quote

Ravenstar - not being touchy just sick of dentist jokes and putdowns over the years I guess and feeling rather down over a Mrs Norris lookalike cat that was given to my young granddaughter for Xmas and who I was given to take care of due to cat disappearing where she live and then was stolen from me on Friday the 13th which broke her heart and made her sick - really - with worry. As a result I have been rather sick since because it galls me to think that the thief is walking past my place each day knowing they have broken a young child's heart and don't care. We know the cat was stolen as she had a collar with her name and my phone number on it and have posters up around the neighbourhood and on our house about her but have not heard about our cat since. However she does have a doppleganger who we now know lives not far from us but isn't Miranda's Xmas Angel who really looks similar to Mrs Norris.

Sorry for this rant but feeling very depressed and down for the past few weeks and even more so now that it has become obvious that our cat has become sick because he is missing that mischevious fluffy cat called Angel by young Miranda who is heartbroken at her loss.
RavenStar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Background on Hermione Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Ravenstar - not being touchy just sick of dentist jokes and putdowns over the years I guess and feeling rather down over a Mrs Norris lookalike cat that was given to my young granddaughter for Xmas and who I was given to take care of due to cat disappearing where she live and then was stolen from me on Friday the 13th which broke her heart and made her sick - really - with worry.

Inkling, I'm really really sorry about your cat and understand how heartbroken you and your family are. Crying or Very sad

For the record, I wasn't making a joke about dentists or putting them down. We know Hermione's parents were dentists, and Muggles, and I was just wondering how they took the coming of the Hogwarts letter. I'd have wondered and posted exactly the same thing had they been engineers, rocket scientists, lawyers or street sweepers. There was no need to blow your top at me. I didn't know what your dad did for a living, I didn't mean to offend anybody, least of all the grumpiest member of AV! wink

I'm sorry you feel depressed. I hope things will somehow turn out OK. They sometimes do, you know. Very Happy

Peace! peace
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Background on Hermione Reply with quote

It's OK but having watched several TV shows where the dorks are dentists I get a bit touchy and feel that JK made her parents boring but safe dentists for some reason. But then for some reason she made them have some imgination and intelligence for supporting her to actually go to Hogwarts and taking her to Diagon Alley for her stuff and also trusting the Weasley's to look after her during so many vacations when they knew that was where Hermione really wanted to be despite the dangers. So they weren't the boring dorks that dentists are often portrayed to be.

Our cat situation seems bleak despite her having a microchip which now indicates on the computer that she is missing from her real owners (us)..... still crying a lot when we see her little pink poodle dog toy and knowing that she must be missing that.
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Snape's humiliation of Hermione Reply with quote

Quote:
He forced Hermione to show Snape her teeth - she was doing her best to hide them with her hands, though this was difficult as they had now grown down past her collar. Pansy Parkinson and the other Slytherin girls were doubled up with silent giggles, pointing at Hermione from behind Snape's back.
Snape looked coldly at Hermione, then said, "I see no difference".
(Snape - Globet of Fire)

That, IMO, was particularly cruel, but some people find it funny. Someone on CoS posted it among the "best quotes" and I remember FrakkinShip saying that the scene made him laugh every time he read it.

But then of course FrakkinShip's favourite character is Snape, whom he thinks is "the real hero of the series" and those of us who think of Snape as a side dish rather than the main course are just Snape haters.

Which reminds me of Twinsrule's sarcastic comment that the series should have been titled "Severus Snape and the PS/SS", "SS and the CoS", "SS and the PoA", etc. Rolling Eyes
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Hermione's teeth Reply with quote

Another thing seeing as Hermoine's parents were dentist why didn't they either fix her teeth themselves or send her to an orthodontist? Or is this a case of the cobblers children going without shoes etc. if you get my drift......

My father was a dentist and made sure our teeth were looked after and any crookedness might be straightened etc. and he wasn't a dork just because he decided to do dentistry over medicine as the hours were more civilised and over architecture because business could go off there and people always needed dentists and worked better hours than doctors who often got called out at night on emergencies whereas dentists rarely did.

My point is though did Hermoine's parents not care that her teeth made her feel a little conscious about her appearance as it seems to have done since she corrected them magically herself or were they waiting until she was a few years older to do something?

Also this made me wonder why Harry's and his fathers defective eyesight couldn't be fixed magically.
4Wizards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hermione's teeth Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Another thing seeing as Hermoine's parents were dentist why didn't they either fix her teeth themselves or send her to an orthodontist? Or is this a case of the cobblers children going without shoes etc. if you get my drift......

I get your drift, and I was wondering about that myself.

Quote:
My point is though did Hermoine's parents not care that her teeth made her feel a little conscious about her appearance as it seems to have done since she corrected them magically herself or were they waiting until she was a few years older to do something?

Probably the latter. They also may not have realized how self-conscious and insedure that made her be. Poor Hermione, between the way she looks (in canon, not portrayed by Emma Watson) and the fact that the other students resent her being a "know-it-all", it mustn't have been easy for her.

Quote:
Also this made me wonder why Harry's and his fathers defective eyesight couldn't be fixed magically.

Maybe there are some things that even magic can't fix. Confused
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Magic Reply with quote

Surely if they can regrow bones they could do some lazer like magic and fix poor eyesight because that is being done in the real world as we speak.
Lily_Chérie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Magic Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Surely if they can regrow bones they could do some lazer like magic and fix poor eyesight because that is being done in the real world as we speak.

You're applying logic here. The Potterverse is not always logical. super grin

I mean, look at the monetary system, in this age where decimal is gaining, even in the UK (there used to be 12 pence to a shilling, and 20 shillings to a pound, IIRC, now it's 10 and 10), JKR had to make I can't remember how many knuts to a sickle and a decidedly non-decimal number of sickles to a galleon. bleh

So in the Potterverse it's perfectly "normal" that magic can regrow bones but not fix eyesight. Very Happy
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Logic and Magic Reply with quote

Yes you are right about the illogical wizarding world and if it was logical there wouldn't be parts of the series that make it interesting would it..... super grin

BTW I can't remember money calculations from knuts, sickles and galleons either....LOL
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:

I found this comment on another HP site, posting it for what it's worth:

Quote:
They might be able to fix eye problems, but the whole point of wizards having glasses, in the book, is to show that even with all their magic, their lives are not perfect and ther are rules that must be followed. Fixing eyesight would probably be too dangerous to experiment with, so it would probably be banned.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: