AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Would Snape have made a good father?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerowyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Would Snape have made a good father? Reply with quote

Especially, would he have made a better father than James? Or even as good as a father as James?

There's been much speculation and many theories among Snape fans and Snapefen as well as among Snaters, some as wild as, Snape was really Harry's father, or at least Harry wished that Snape had been his father. A discussion started on the topic, would Snape have made a good father?

Not in my opinion, or in the opinion of the members of the Google group.

Some of the ideas put forward was that he wouldn't have been the kind of father who'd play and roll in the grass with his child(ren) - that he'd be a very distant, cold father. That he would be the kind who said "Don't bother Daddy when he's working", that if it'd been him at Godric's Hollow, he'd have told Lily "It's him, run!", not "Take Harry and go!".

My own contribution was that he'd be the kind to insist being called "Father" or "Sir", not "Dad" or "Daddy". That he'd be unforgiving of any failure at magic, especially potions. That any such failure would be blamed on Lily's Muggle origins.

In brief, that he'd be the opposite kind of father than James was.

So what do you all think?
Lost Elf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Would Snape have made a good father? Reply with quote

One thing I'm sure of is that I wouldn't want him for a father, that's for sure! Eek

This could lead to identity crisis!
CinnamonRolls

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Would Snape have made a good father? Reply with quote

Quote:
Especially, would he have made a better father than James? Or even as good as a father as James?

No, of course not! Firstly, there's the probability of him becoming a father - I can't really imagine any decent woman wanting to have a baby with him! uhh! And if it did somehow happen...well, he's DEFINITELY not in James' league as a father. I think his attitude towards children is clear enough from the way he treats his students. Compare that to the two instances of James playing with baby Harry (once chasing after Harry on his toy broomstick and once entertaining him with colorful puffs of smoke right before his death) - I could never see Snape doing that. All my opinion, of course. Smile
RavenStar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Would Snape have made a good father? Reply with quote

CinnamonRolls wrote:
Firstly, there's the probability of him becoming a father - I can't really imagine any decent woman wanting to have a baby with him! uhh!

Many a Snapewife or Snapefen would. They may even be "decent women", if totally delusional.

Quote:
And if it did somehow happen...well, he's DEFINITELY not in James' league as a father. I think his attitude towards children is clear enough from the way he treats his students. Compare that to the two instances of James playing with baby Harry (once chasing after Harry on his toy broomstick and once entertaining him with colorful puffs of smoke right before his death) - I could never see Snape doing that. All my opinion, of course. Smile

Your opinion is shared by many and, btw, you don't have to say "IMO" all the time in this forum. wink
Cho_Lover
Herald

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Would Snape have made a good father? Reply with quote

IMO, he'd make a terrible father.

He takes his frustrations and resentments out on his students, he'd probably do the same with his kids. If by some absurd circumstances (or a love potion, perhaps? After all, who's the Master of Potions?) Lily happened to marry him, she'd soon rue the day.

His purported love for Lily is not the "real" kind of love. It's an obsessive, self-centered one. Not the kind of love that'd make a partner happy. Again IMO.

Yes Ravenstar, I know I don't have to put "IMO" every time I express my opinion. I guess old habits die hard. super grin
Hedwig

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Would Snape have made a good father? Reply with quote

He didn't have a loving father himself. There's no indication that Tobias ever played with his son. He seems to have been neglected by his parents, and to have grown up a solitary child. People tend to act towards their children the way they themselves were treated.

I too, doubt that he'd have been a good father.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Would Snape have made a good father? Reply with quote

Hedwig wrote:
People tend to act towards their children the way they themselves were treated.

Actually, that's not quite true. Sometimes people take the opposite stand from their parents. They'll avoid spoiling their children if they feel that having been spoiled hadn't really been good for them, and they'll show them love if they hadn't had it themselves.

However, Snape is not that kind of person. He's incapable of overcoming his resentments or forgive slights and other transgressions against him. He takes it out on other people, like Cho Lover said.

So, no, he wouldn't have made a good father.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Would Snape have made a good father? Reply with quote

I agree that Snape would make an awful father.

Cho_Lover wrote:
IMO, he'd make a terrible father.
He takes his frustrations and resentments out on his students, he'd probably do the same with his kids. If by some absurd circumstances (or a love potion, perhaps? After all, who's the Master of Potions?) Lily happened to marry him, she'd soon rue the day.

I think it's possible he would treat his own kids badly, too. Snape used other people as outlets for his anger and frustration. Even Lily, when he called her a "mudblood". I think that Lily, in a relationship with Snape, and their children would similarly be outlets for Snape's anger.

Plus, there's the whole Death Eater issue. I think that if Lily had stayed in Snape's life, he would have continued with the Death Eaters. He would have had no reason to stop. Before Lily drew the line, he already believed he could have his cake and eat it.

Snape would raise those kids with Death Eater "values". Bearing in mind that a Lily who stayed with Snape and started a relationship with him would not be the same Lily we see in canon, but the version of Lily that Snape wanted her to be.

Quote:
His purported love for Lily is not the "real" kind of love. It's an obsessive, self-centered one. Not the kind of love that'd make a partner happy. Again IMO.

Nor the kind that would appreciate the "loved one's" attention being taken from him. Not even by his own child. I can imagine that Snape would resent a child, because s/he would take Lily's attentions from him. Lily would have other priorities, and that would never do.
Hedwig

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Would Snape have made a good father? Reply with quote

Strawberry07 wrote:
Quote:

Nor the kind that would appreciate the "loved one's" attention being taken from him. Not even by his own child. I can imagine that Snape would resent a child, because s/he would take Lily's attentions from him. Lily would have other priorities, and that would never do.

Lily was the object of Snape's desire, and I use the word "object" on purpose. What he "loved" was not a person, not even the little girl that he used to watch as she played with her sister.

His little regard for her showed when he called her a "Mudblood".

My opinion is that his "love" was the love for the idea he had of Lily, not for Lily as a person. He didn't give a fig about her happiness. What he wanted was to possess her - to have her to look at and tell himself she was his. Her own feelings never entered the equation in his head. The very idea that her attention and affection could be given to someone else, someone he'd have to "share" her with, even if it were his own child, is not even to be thought of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: